Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hong Kong Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hong-kong-restaurants-35459/)

Carolyn Dec 11th, 1998 04:00 PM

Hong Kong Restaurants

Help! I am traveling to Hong Kong on <BR>December 23rd with my family and would love dome great dinning recommendations. <BR>I would like both expensive and inexpensive recommendations. <BR>

lynn Dec 11th, 1998 05:10 PM

Hi! My husband and I were just there during Thanksgiving weekend and loved Hong Kong! <BR> <BR>We were so busy shopping that we ate mostly quick bites. The one really good restaurant we tried was The Peak Cafe on top of Victoria Peak on Hong Kong Island. It is very good. Depending on what you're used to spending on meals out it might be a little expensive (the bill was about $65US for the 2 of us with no alcohol). <BR>Very worth it for a nice dinner. <BR> <BR>If you're interested in shopping, the Ladies' Market in Mong Kok and the Temple Street Night Market in Yau Ma Tei(sp?) are great for good "street" deals. If you like malls, the Times Square shopping complex in Causeway Bay or the Ocean Terminus on Kowloon are good. <BR> <BR>We loved Hong Kong, I hope you do to!! <BR> <BR>

Veronica Dec 11th, 1998 05:48 PM

Yes, there are a number of restaurants at the Peak and all of them serve great meals. But they are all in western style. <BR> <BR>If you would like some Chinese food, I recommend you to go to the East Ocean Seafood Restaurant at Eagle Center, WanChai or another (forgot the name) in Sun Hung Kai Center, WanChai. Both of them serve real Chinese food and is very delicious.

erwin Dec 13th, 1998 08:38 PM

Try Vong at the Mandarin Hotel - always voted as one of the world's best restaurants. Or Shangri-la's Lobster Bar. Happy eating!!!!

Charles Taylor Dec 15th, 1998 12:54 AM

Curry Pot in Stanley, right by the water front. <BR> <BR>Chaesa's in the Penninsula Hotel. <BR> <BR>Red Star Cafe in Mid Levels... on Staunton Road I think. <BR> <BR>If you have a frined in the journalism business, and they are a member of the FCC Club, have them take you to the upstairs restauraunt... absolute heaven. <BR> <BR>The best pub food is in a seedy looking bar called the Beer castle on Luard Road in Wan Chai, but it is mostly a younger crowd hangout... but the best french fries in the world... just don't look into the kitchen :-) <BR> <BR>Nepal, and Casa Lisboa on Staunton Road in Mid levels are very good... lots of restauraunts in that district. <BR> <BR>Cheasa's and Felix's are a must, but be prepared for the bill. Cheasa's has the world's absolute best fondu, and Felix's is the ultimate hang out for after dinner drinks... both are located in the Penninsula Hotel. Chaesa's ran us about $400 USD for dinner for 4, with 3 bottles of wine. <BR> <BR>Don't forget to stop by the local McDonald's for comparison, and a great "after the bars" treat is to stop by 7 Eleven for microwave Dim Sum :-) <BR> <BR>Hong kong is one of the great cities of the world, don't be afraid to explore it. Subways and taxis are very safe and clean, and if you can figure out the bus schedules and routes, it's the only way to travel! I lived in Hong Kong for two months, and am desperately seeking employmen there as I'd like to call it my future home! <BR> <BR>Cheers, and have a good trip. <BR>

Kathy Dec 15th, 1998 01:44 PM

WU KONG Shanghai is very good its right off Nathan Rd near Peninsula, also in Wan Chai The American Restaurant is very good. Stay away from the Super Star it looks good but it was crummy. Have high tea at the Peninsula and have a drink in the lobby of the Regent Hotel. <BR> I like Stanley Market better than Night Market but the Night Market is fun. <BR>

Kathy Dec 15th, 1998 01:44 PM

WU KONG Shanghai is very good its right off Nathan Rd near Peninsula, also in Wan Chai The American Restaurant is very good. Stay away from the Super Star it looks good but it was crummy. Have high tea at the Peninsula and have a drink in the lobby of the Regent Hotel. <BR> I like Stanley Market better than Night Market but the Night Market is fun. <BR>

iris Dec 26th, 1998 07:41 PM

we were just in Hk in Nov. and loved it. However, we hated the food. Found the Chinese food there to be nothing like what we usually have at home. The last night we were so disgusted that we went to the Italian restaurant - Tutto Bene - recommended by Fodors on Pg. 79. It was fabulous and moderately priced. Thank you Fodor's! By the way, it is a little hard to find - up a hill like an alley - but well worth it. The Chinese restaurant our tour guide recommended was right on Nathan Rd. and the patrons were basically locals. We knew when we saw the chicken that appeared to be boiled and whole (with head and feet) in the middle of the table next to us, that we had probably made a mistake. Be careful about eating on the street. Things are not always what they appear to be. I couldn't wait to have a roasted sweet potato from a vendor. It was not what we imagine. it had a smoked flavor. Also had an interesting experience eating at a corner restaurant in the night market. Poor communicating led to us having enough food for any army and then when we asked for the check, they brought us a roll of toilet paper - they thought we wanted napkins! <BR>Enjoy! <BR>

anonymous May 22nd, 1999 06:59 AM

It's not going to help the author of this thread but for those who are reading this for information... <BR>I loved food in HK...so much variety! Make sure you drop by this "soho" area. There's this great nepal restaurant called "Nepal" and the food is excellent. There are many Thai restaurants and one I recommend is "lemongrass" in Lan Kwai Fong area. One way to pick a good chinese food restaurant..just take a peak inside and if you see a lot of locals, I'd say that would be your safest bet! Island-Shangrila Hotel has a chinese restaurant downstairs that serves great Dimsum..a bit pricy.