Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hong Kong or Shanghai (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hong-kong-or-shanghai-210077/)

Cirilo Nov 25th, 2001 06:38 PM

Hong Kong or Shanghai

We are visiting our relatives in the Philippines in early December and planned on visiting Hong Kong for 3 days and 2 nights but friends are advising us to go to Shanghai instead. Now my friends said the shopping and culture in Shanghai are better and it is just an extra hour flight from Manila. We really cannot spend any time longer than the three days and two nights. We want to see some sights and also to do some shopping. Any recommendations? <BR><BR>Thank you very much for your help.<BR><BR>Cirilo<BR>Edison, NJ<BR><BR>

Andrea Nov 25th, 2001 08:30 PM

Depending on whether or not you're likely to come back to Asia, and whether or not you could have 3 FULL days and 2 nights, you may still want to consider Beijing. You can hit the major sights and do some shopping in 3 FULL days, so if you're not likely to come back for a few years, you may want to choose Beijing.<BR><BR>If your schedule is too tight, however, you could go with either HK or Shanghai, depending on what type of experience you're looking for. <BR><BR>Hong Kong is a vibrant city with a lot to see and do, but it is a CITY that looks and feels a lot like other big cities. Not entirely, of course - you can't mistake for a minute that you're in Asia, but it's not as "different" from an average Western city as Shanghai is, in my opinion. Hong Kong has a lot of glitter and flash and modernity. Hong Kong has a definate pulse, and it's a fun, picturesque place to see. Taking the ferry at night with a view of Hong Kong harbor and walking through Tsim Sha Tsui at night, with its million flashing lights and thousands of people, are experiences of a lifetime.<BR><BR>Shanghai has a lot less flash - it's not picturesque like Hong Kong is. But just walking down the street, you can see the clash of modern and old China. You will see workers adding the finishing touches to the landscaping of a flashy new skyscraper using paper cups tied to sticks. You will see women dressed in suits and talking on mobile phones while riding their bikes to work. You will see groups of old men playing Chinese Chess on little stools on the sidewalks, seemingly oblivious to the nearby traffic. Shanghai has an equal amount of shopping opportunities, but you do have to look harder for them. You can find better deals on most souvenier type of items in Shanghai, however, Hong Kong does have more reputable antique dealers (most of the things you'll find in Shanghai are reproductions, but they are good ones). <BR><BR>Hope this helps! You really can't go wrong with either destination. Good luck.

Sandy Nov 26th, 2001 08:16 PM

I don't know much about Shanghai, but 3 days and 2 nights is just perfect for HK. You will have enough time to visit the major sites: Peak, Stanley, Wong Tai Sin temple and of course shopping in Tsim Sha Tsui and Causeway Bay. December is a right time to travel HK. The weather is usually cool and dry.

Cirilo Nov 27th, 2001 08:58 PM

Andrea and Sandy,<BR><BR>Thank you very much. We will go to Hong Kong. Will look over the old posts and get the needed info for an enjoyable stay.<BR><BR>Cirilo

Michele Dec 4th, 2001 11:12 AM

You have probably already made your plans, but for future reviewers, I thought I would put in my 2 cents. If only seeing one city in China, I think Beijing is the most interesting. It has the historical sights that are great. Between Shanghai and Hong Kong, based on my experiences this year I really enjoyed Shanghai. There is a good mixture of culture, old, and modern things. There is a fantastic museum, the garden cities outside of shanghai were the best I saw in asia. The bund at night was facinating. Maybe I missed the best of Hong Kong, but it seemed mostly like a big city. There I saw Peak, Aberdeen, and Wong Tai Sin temple. Wong Tai Sin temple was interesting but not that different the Jade Buddha in Shanghai.

Michele Dec 4th, 2001 11:47 AM

You have probably already made your plans, but for future reviewers, I thought I would put in my 2 cents. If only seeing one city in China, I think Beijing is the most interesting. It has the historical sights that are great. Between Shanghai and Hong Kong, based on my experiences this year I really enjoyed Shanghai. There is a good mixture of culture, old, and modern things. There is a fantastic museum, the garden cities outside of shanghai were the best I saw in asia. The bund at night was facinating. Maybe I missed the best of Hong Kong, but it seemed mostly like a big city. There I saw Peak, Aberdeen, and Wong Tai Sin temple. Wong Tai Sin temple was interesting but not that different the Jade Buddha in Shanghai.