Hong Kong - off the beaten track?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When talking to most people who visited Hong Kong, they recommend the tourist places such as Peak Tram, Stanley Mkt, Ocean Park, Big Buddha, etc. Of course, they also recommend shopping and definitely, eating!

I will hit all those places but I have 2 weeks and it is my 2nd time in HK. Would like something different - any other recommendations?

For those Hong Kong experts out there, can u recommend some places that's off the beaten track? For example, a nice village in one of the outlying islands that does not get many visitors. Hiking in nearby mountain, etc.

Many thansk!

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:17 PM

For nice village on an island with no tourists - go to Peng Chau. About a 50 minutes ferry ride from Central on First Ferry. From there, you can take a Kai To (little wooden ferry) to Discovery Bay, a privately developed community where I used to live, and back to Central from there. Cheung Chau is a more popular and populous island, but is also very non-touristy.

There are lots of hiking trails in Hong Kong, many with convenient access points from public transportation - including the MacLehose Trail, Wilson Trail, Hong Kong Trail and Lantau Trail. Information on this webpage:

http://parks.afcd.gov.hk/newparks/eng/index.htm

There are also other gems in the city - like the bird and flower markets near Prince Edward MTR, some walled villages and temples/monasteries in the New Territories.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:33 AM

If you like cycling take the MTR to the North Territories and rent cycles for a day on the cycling trail. Assume u have spent time browsing around the CHinese shops in Kowloon and the Jade Market - this time of year can be great fun as full of x-mas stuff.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

RkKwan - this sounds appealing
"some walled villages and temples/monasteries in the New Territories. "

can you tell me more? Where should I go in New Territories?

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Fairhope

Try Tai Po--2nd last stop before China on rail to China. No westerners when we were there.

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:24 PM

kittycatangel - There are several temples/monasteries/tao-koons (Houses of Taoism) in Hong Kong. While their locations and architecture don't compare to Po Lin Monastery (i.e. Big Buddha), and none of them can really compare to the major institutes in mainland China, you may still find them somewhat interesting.

Honestly, I haven't visited many of these for years, as I'm really not a religious person. But I'll recommend the followings:

1. Buddhist Monasteries:

Castle Peak Monastery (Tsing Shan Tsi) near Tuen Mun. It's built along the slopes of Castle Peak, and requires a bit of a hike up there. Even if you take a taxi, you still have to climb some steps. It's one of the older monasteries in Hong Kong, and provide a good view of the Tuen Mun town. Very few visitors, and very tranquil.

Miu Fat Tsi is between Tuen Mun and Tin Shui Wai. It's pretty close to the Lam Tei light rail station.

10,000 Buddhas Monastery (Man Fut Tsi) is a hike from the Sha Tin KCR station. As its name suggested, there's a hall with a lot of buddha statues.

And on Lantau, besides Po Lin Monastery, there are also many other ones. Some of them extremely remote, like Tsi-Hing Monastery in the Man Cheung Po area. It's about an hour of hike from the closest road access, and many years ago, there was an American monk there. It is on the Lantau Trail.

2. Tao Koons. Fung Ying Sin Koon near the Fan Ling KCR station, and the Ching Chung Koon (Ching Chung light rail station in Tuen Mun) are the largest ones.

3. Temples. There are many of them throughout Hong Kong, many in the city, worshipping various deities. One of the more popular in New Territories is the Che Kung Temple near the Tai Wai KCR station, where tens of thousands of worshippers go there on the 3rd day of the Chinese New Year.

On Cheung Chau, if you turn north/left after getting off the ferry, you'll find the PaK Tai Temple at the end of a playgroud.

Since Hong Kong consist of many fishing villages, one of the most common temples are those for the Tin Hau (translation: Sky Queen), who protects seafarers. [She's also known as Ma Tsu, and Macau got its name from her.] One of them is in the city, near the Tin Hau MTR station. But the largest is the Tai Miu (Big Temple) near Clear Water Bay on the east side of Kowloon Peninsula. Tens of thousands of worshippers go there once a year, mostly by ferry. Not sure the best method of getting there on other days.

As for walled cities, there are a few near Yuen Long and Kam Tin, in the northwest side of Hong Kong. The largest and most famous is Kat Hing Wai, which is very close to the Kam Sheung Road KCR-West Rail station.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:35 PM

Oh, and one of the more interesting religious institute in Hong Kong is a Trappist Monastery on Lantau. It's on the hiking trail between Discovery Bay and Mui Wo, or you can take a Kai To from Peng Chau.

It's an Roman Catholic order originated in France, and its monks usually do not speak to outsiders. I believe they moved to Hong Kong from mainland China after the communist took over in 1949. For many years, they raised cows there and sold fresh milk to Hong Kong locals. But I believe the Trappist Dairy products you get now are actually from their remote site in China.