Hong Kong in 1 day

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong in 1 day

We are arriving HongKong at 6:45pm on a Wednesday and leave at 9:00am on a Friday in December. So we have the full Thursday to sightsee. How can I plan the day to maximize our time to see HongKong's famous sights? We are interested in going to Victoria's Peak, the newly-opened Po Lin monastery, see an open-air market and maybe do a Habor cruise and if time permits do a little window-shopping (although not a priority as we're going to BKK). Thanks.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Po Lin Monastery has been around for decades. The opening of the cable car that goes from Tung Chung (near airport) to Po Lin Monastery has been delayed from yesterday (6/24/06) to who knows... But you can still get there by bus from either Tung Chung (MTR) or Mui Wo (Ferry).

Either way, it's going to take you 1/2 day or more to visit Po Lin. That will significantly cut into the rest of your time in Hong Kong, so you have to decide if you want to do it or not.

If you want to, you can still go to a night market on the night on Wednesday. Then go to Po Lin Thursday morning. Come back in the afternoon and go to the Peak. Skip the harbor cruise and just take the Star Ferry across the harbor. Day AND night.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply rkkwan, I know I can always count on your vast knowledge of HongKong. If we decide to cut the Po Lin Monastery, do you have any other suggestions on what to see?
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 05:56 PM

You can spend more time on the Peak, you can go to Repulse Bay and Stanley in the south side of Hong Kong Island. You can go take a short boat ride in the Aberdeen Harbour. You can go do one of the walks on discoverhongkong.com/eng/touring/hkwalks/index.jhtml like the Central/Western district one. You can spend more time shopping. Etc...
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:04 PM

...have dim sum, watch or participate in early morning tai chi class on the terrace of the Cultural Center on Tsim Sha Tsui, ride the Star Ferry back and forth a couple of times if you don't have time for a longer harbor cruise because the view is exhilarating, stroll the Avenue of the Stars waterfront area at 8 pm when the light show occurs, ride the mid-levels escalator on Central (giving tired feet a break and affording glimpses of businesses and homes), check out the tourist office for special events such as the once-a-week harbor ride on a Chinese junk that is free to non-residents...

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:21 PM

There are now eight sailings of the free junk tour on the Duk Ling. Four are on Thursday that JoyC can go. Here's info:

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...kto_dukl.jhtml

You cannot pre-book, and it's quite popular. But no harm checking.

Anyways, great suggestions by marya_. Other stuff one can do includes taking the Hong Kong Tramway along northern HK Island, checking out the flower and bird markets in Kowloon in the morning. You arrive kind of late in Hong Kong on Wednesday, or else you may go to the night horse races in Happy Valley.

Or, forget all of the above and go to Disneyland Hong Kong.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:23 PM

Oh, what I mean is that you cannot pre-book Duk Ling outside Hong Kong. You can only go to one of the HK Tourism Board centers in person to book it. If you want to do it, they even have one at the airport and opens late. Info on the weblink above.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your suggestions. I really appreciate them. One more thing, we wanted to do a night cruise to see the symphony of lights. What do you think about the Harbour Night Cruise, or Star Ferry's Harbour Tour at night or the Harbour Lights and Lei Yue Mun Seafood Village Dinner Cruise??
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM

i wouldn't suggest doing the harbor cruise since you're short on time. you could just walk down to the harbor area, see the light show, and then catch the subway to happy valley for some horse racing - so fun!!! you could also go to the night market on temple street. during your one day, victoria peak, repulse bay and aberdeen fishing village would be sights to see. and they're all pretty close to eachother. i found that aberdeen was very interesting, considering who knows how long it will be around. you may consider going to causeway bay on thursday night.