Hong Kong hotel and what to do

Apr 9th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Hong Kong hotel and what to do

On the way back from Beijing, I will be in Hong Kong for one day - arrive evening, sleep night and depart next evening. Please help with following questions:

1. I am looking for an (4*) hotel around the Hong Kong Post Office headquarters in Connaught Place. We will attend a meeting around there.

2. My wife is travelling with me and she needs to do something during the morning in Hong Kong. I assume there are half day tours or something that she would be able to take? I do not recommend anything on her own as she gets lost between the front and the back door at home - :-0

Apr 10th, 2006, 06:17 AM

most all hotels offer sightseeing tours from their front desks...just ask after arrival...tell her the tour leaves from the front door...
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Basically all the hotels within walking distance to the Central Post Office are 5* properties. You may want to try something in Tsimshatsui, which is a short Star Ferry ride to the Post Office HQ.
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:40 PM

The hotels closest to the Post Office are as follows, in rough order of distance from the PO, but as noted above, none of them are four stars, they are all five stars. You might check the websites to see if they are in your price range:

Mandarin Oriental (currently closed for renovation)
Ritz Carlton
Mandarin Landmark
Four Seasons

The above are walkable to the Post Office in 5-10 minutes. If you really want to be closest, if you can give me the address of the meeting place, I can tell you which hotel is closest.

I think the closest 4 star hotel to the PO is the Renaissance Harbour View Hotel in Wan Chai, but I don't know that I would recco it as the location is not convenient, IMO, esp for one day. It is not walkable to the Post Office. That being said, with public transport, ferry or a cab, Hong Kong is very small and easy to get around, so it really does not matter where you stay.

The hotels below are all in the same shopping complex about a 5 minute cab tram ride from the Post Office, or a 15 minute walk. All are about a 5 minute walk to the bottom on the Peak Tram. These are also 5 stars:

JW Marriott
Conrad Hotel
Island Shangri La

The two hotels below are located on the waterfront on Hong Kong Island, and would be about 10 minutes by taxi, or about 10 minutes by subway (after a 10 minute walk TO the subway) from the Post Office). I personally think both of these hotels are out of the way, esp. for one night, but they do have a great pool area and the Grand Hyatt has a fantastic spa:

Grand Hyatt
Renaissance Harbour View

If 5 stars are out of your price range, a nice 3 star hotel also on Hong Kong Island would be the Bishop Lei, which is up the hill in mid-levels. You could reach the downtown area of the Post Office via a public bus in about 10 minutes, I believe the hotel also has a free shuttle bus which runs on a regular schedule. The hotel is also quite close to the pedestrian escalator which goes down from mid-levels to Central, so it would be walkable, albeit a longish walk, but a pleasant way to get down into Central and into the restaurants and shopping areas of Soho and Hollywood Road. The rooms tend to be small, so I would go for a suite if you can which will give you more rooms and you won't feel so cramped.

Bishop Lei International House
4 Robinson Rd
Mid-levels, Hong Kong Island
Tel: 852-2868-0828
fax: 852-2525-1551.
bishopleihtl.com

The Post Office is at the main Star Ferry pier for the ferry to Tsim Sha Tsui, which is on the Kowloon (mainland) side of the harbour. As rkkwan has noted above, there are more 4 star hotels on that side of the harbour which you might want to consider, like the Kowloon Hotel, the New World Renaissance or the Marco Polo. If you want the famous view and don't mind paying for it, you have to go up to a 5 star and then consider the Intercontinental or the Peninsula.

If you want a great view and don't want to pay 5 star rates, a hotel you might want to consider and which would be very convenient would be

YMCA Salisbury Road
41 Salisbury Road Tsim Sha Tsui
Kowloon

This is a fantastic location and gets good reviews on this site. It really is a nice 3* hotel disguised as a YMCA. They are very popular and often fully booked, so if you are interested, make a reservation soon (you can always cancel). They have standard rooms from $90 a night, and have suites from US$129. The standard rooms tend to be small so I would opt for a suite if possible. Website for YMCA hotels in Asia is /www.ymca-hotels.com/

Finally, if you really want a 4 star and really want to be on Hong Kong Island, you might consider the Excelsior Hotel, down in Causeway Bay. This would be about 15 minutes by subway (quite close to the subway stop) or 10 minutes by taxi. This is a very good shopping area as well if that might interest your wife. It is run by the Mandarin Hotel group, I have not seen the rooms, but the public areas are nice and it ahs several good restaurants. Go to http://www.mandarinoriental

For things to do, I would say a trip up the Peak Tram to Victoria Peak for great views and pictures and ride on the Star Ferry over to the Kowloon side and a walk along the Esplanade at Tsim Sha Tsui for views of the famous skyline would take the better part of a morning. Also, your wife may want to take a self-guided walking tour, go to the website for the Hong Kong tourist association at http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...ks/index.jhtml. Bus tours are not a good way to get around, as it is hard to see anything, and the best bits, like the Star Ferry, Peak Tram, walking paths on the Peak, and the little lanes off the Hollywood Road area are not accessible by car or bus.

She could also take the great bus ride up and over the hills and down into Stanley on the Southside of Hong Kong Island for some last minute shopping (if you have had enough) and lunch if time permits. The bus ride is the real purpose of the trip, it has great views of sea and mountains and a roller coaster of a ride. Take the #6 or 6A from the Central bus terminus ( you do NOT want the bus going through Aberdeen Tunnel, or you will miss some of the best hilly portions; have the hotel check as the bus numbers change from time to time). Costs about US$1.20 each way. This would take the morning to do.

If you really think she can't walk in a small city by herself, then she could consider a ferry tour of the harbor, the Star Ferry runs several, take a look at http://www.starferry.com.hk/new/en/index.asp. The Hong Kong Tourist Association also has a tour by junk every Thursday, you might find info on their website.
Apr 12th, 2006, 05:39 AM

A good website for tours is www.asiatravel.com they also have good hotel rates, click on Hong Kong and then on tours, I have used this tour company in Singapore, they are pretty good, well organised, and your wife won't be on her own. They also have tours for Beijing.
Apr 12th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all the information. Cicerone, especially to you. I think I will come right with all of this.
Apr 12th, 2006, 05:38 PM

I had an extra half day in Hong Kong after my friend I was traveling with in Thailand had departed---did the standard half day sightseeing bus trip which included Stanley Market and the boat ride in Aberdeen. I enjoyed it and it gave another view of the city as well as surrounding area. We were supposed to go to the top of Victoria Peak but it was way too foggy.