Hong Kong for 2 1/2 days??

Nov 10th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Hong Kong for 2 1/2 days??

My husband and I will be in Hong Kong mid-Dec. We are both in our very late 20s and would like to get some recommendations for must-dos. We are staying on the Kowloon side. We like to fit in some night life, shopping, good museums, fine dining, and find great picture oppurtunities. Any suggestions welcome.
Nov 10th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Everyone enjoys the view at the Peak (I also had a surprisingly good meal there at Cafe Deco). There aren't too many great museums in Hong Kong, but I did like the art museum, which is near the Star Ferry. Shopping is great, so you'll have no problems with that. Hit Chinese Arts & Crafts at least once, but the best malls are on Hong Kong Island. Don't miss the Jade Market. There are many good restaurants. We recommend a few on this site and in our Hong Kong guide, and you can also pick up the Luxe City Guide, which has a really good overview of both shopping and dining. The best nightlife is in Lan Kwai Fong.
Nov 10th, 2005, 07:32 PM

OK before I can respond to the OP I am reeling that the Fodor's Editor is recommending another guide other than the Fodor's guide!!!!

Mayb, while this site is a great resource, it is not so great at helping narrow choices, as you will get so many opinions that you will be bogged down with more choices. A guidebook would help you narrow your choices. You can get guidebooks out of the library; old books are fine, as being out of date does not change the basic info in books on sights, culture and weather. As a start, read the destination guides on this site, click on "Destinations" above, choose "Asia", then scroll down and choose "Hong Kong". This will give you a brief overview of the city and what is has to offer. The Fodors guide book on Hong Kong is very good as well. Also take a look at Frommers.com.

Weather is great here in December, sunny and in the mid-70s virtually no rain. There are many great walks and more strenuous hikes if that sort of thing interests you. There is a website run by an expat here with info on walks, you can even join walks, go to Roz's hiking pages at http://www.hkcrystal.com/hiking/index.asp. For other info on hiking trials go tohttp://parks.afcd.gov.hk/newparks/eng/hiking/index.htm

Not sure when your trip is schedule for in mid-December, but the World Trade Organization is scheduled to meet here from December 13-18. There are some fears that there will be demonstrations and confrontations with police, I think it will be somewhat contained to the area around the Convention Centre, which is on Hong Kong Island in the Wan Chai district. Given this, I would not stay at the Grand Hyatt or the Renaissance New World or hotels in the area of the Convention Centre.

Hong Kong is not known for its museums, and I am not sure I would bother with art museums with only 2 and a half days, but you might want to visit the Hong Kong Heritage Museum or one of their restored walled villages:

Hong Kong Heritage Museum
1 Man Lam Road
Sha Tin
http://www.heritagemuseum.gov.hk/English

This building houses the permanent and changing exhibitions. It is accessible by MTR and then the KCR railway.

Sam Tung Uk Museum
2 Kwu Uk Lane, Tsuen Wan

This is a restored "walled village" with examples of courtyard houses. This is accessible by MTR.

Sheung Yiu Folk Museum
Pak Tam Chung Nature Trail, Sai Kung

This is in Sai Kung a still rural area of Hong Kong and will give you an idea of what life was like before Hong Kong was a city of high rises and malls. There is some great walking in this area as well, this could be combined in a day or morning of walking.

Finally, the Luxe Guide is good in many ways but is already somewhat outdated for restaurants, for example they don't have the great French restaurant at the Four Seasons which just opened (Caprice). They also have a hilarious comment that you should "take the highway back from Shek O" to see the lights coming up over the city. If you told a taxi driver in Shek O to "take the highway" to Central he (i) would not know what you were talking about as there IS no highway from Shek O and (ii) would be violating local law as he is supposed to take you by the shortest route which is NOT via Quarry Bay/Shau Kei Wan which does eventually lead to the highway (which is presumably what the Luxe Guide meant) but to get to the highway you have to go via the complete other side of the island, adding considerably to your taxi tab.

Nov 12th, 2005, 03:30 PM

I agree that you must go up to the Peak and I too found the Cafe deco food and service to be surprisingly good. I am not a museum person necessarily but the Museum of the History of Hong Kong is one of the best I have ever experienced. It is in Kowloon and is extremely well done and informative. Have a great time!
Nov 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM

The happening restaurants on Kowloon side are in a new building called One Peking Road. Either Hutng for fusion Northern CHinese (amazing food very well served) or Aqua Tokyo for Jap or Aqua Roma for Italian. There is also a bar Aqua. Get your concierge to book for you as they fill up fast. Very trendy right now. ON Island side book a meal at Dragon I - fusion Chinese - one of the most talked about night clubs on HK Island eg Sting spent his 1 night out at Dragon I. Ask for an outside table. After fine dining and drinking at Dragon I wander down the staircase right opposite to Lan Kwai Fong and go into one of the bars dotting the short strtch of road - I like Stormies and Balalaika but they are all good. See where the city's working people come after work to unwind. Incidentally I love the Luxe guide and find it very convenient for short trips when you want something you can easily put even into a jeans pocket rather than a heavy book. It also has numbers for all the places I've mentioned and FAB short shopping itineraries. Well worth the US$8 I spent on it.
Nov 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM

I went to both the HK Musuem of History (in Tsim Sha Tsui East) and the Heritage Museum (in Sha Tin) last time I was in HK.

Both are pretty well done, but quite a bit of the stuff about village life in early HK are duplicate. I think the HK Museum of History is more comprehensive.

Having said that, the Heritage Museum can be visited along with another walled village Tsang Tai Uk, as well as the Che Kung Temple. All three are near the Che Kung Miu Station on the KCR Ma On Shang Branch. [KCR from Kowloon, switch at Tai Wai for one-stop. Or just walk from Tai Wai KCR to Che Kung Temple, then Tsang Tai Uk and then Heritage Museum.

Don't miss out the teahouse in the ground floor of the Heritage Museum. While there are similar new-age tea places in the city, this one has no crowd and very comfortable. Tea from HK$20 (<US$3) to over HK$100. What's amazing is that they bring you SIX items to your table just for your tea. During lunch time, there's also a great set lunch - it was only HK$35, including one tea (no choice). Excellent deal.
Nov 13th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Keep it coming, only 2 weeks or so left!!