Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong dim sum places open early on Sunday mornings?

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to find out dim sum places in HongKong that would be open early in the morning on Sundays.
Sunday morning is the only time I can catch up with friends before catching the flight departing at 1pm. Assume I have to leave for the airport by 11-11:30am at latest, does anyone know dim sum places that would be open early--before 10am?. Either Hong Kong side or Kowloon side would do.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:56 AM

Thank you for asking this question. I too would like to know how early dim sum is served. When living in Canada we always went for dim sum as a breakfast/brunch around 11:00ish, I am wondering if this is possible in HK. I will only be there 2 nights and since I haven't had dim sum for almost 19 years since leaving Canada to live in Mexico it is one of the reasons that I am going to make a stop in HK. I want to go to where they have the carts so I am thinking that Maxims is where we should go. True?
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:34 AM

There are plenty of lower-end places that open early, even on Sundays. But I'm trying to figure out some mid-priced places...
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:38 AM

It all depends on the restaurants, of course.

Most of the dim sum restaurants, inside major hotels or in the tourist areas, are open around 11-11:30 am.

The Frommers page on dim sum lists some opening hours:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...078024491.html

There are some exceptions, like Jade Garden and Luk Yu.

If you venture outside the touristy areas, there are many that open quite early: 6:30am - 7:30am. In those places you may not have English menu so if they bring the dim sum cart out you can just point, or ask to take a look at the baskets/dishes.

Another option is to meet your friends at the airport. I believe there is a restaurant there that serves dim sum. Of course it may be pricey and the food may be mediocre. However you are already at the airport so you don't need to worry about rushing your meal. Maybe someone can give more information about dim sum at the Hong Kong airport.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:46 AM

The restaurant at the airport is run by Maxim. Problem is that the OP wants to catch up with friends, and we all know it's expensive and time-consuming for those other people to go to the airport.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the link and the info, everyone. That gave me enough choices for the early dim-sum plans. I'm also pleased that the list included our old favourites, Jade Garden and Maxim's @City Hall.

I actually saw Maxim's at the airport--they did have a set menu breakfast (the usual congee + either porc buns or turnip cake or hofun or that kind of things), but I wasn't impressed by the look of it at all. Having said that, they have an awsome dessert place on the land-side. The most incredible mango ice-cream/pudding combo I've ever tasted.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:51 PM

From what I gather, the most famous of all tea house in Hong Kong - Luk Yu in Central opens at 7am daily. It's an expensive place, but I don't think it'll be crowded early Sunday morning.

In Causeway Bay, the Maxim's in Hennessey Center opens at 7:30am. Jade Garden at 1 Hysan Road (also Maxim Group) also 7:30. Tao Heung Super 88 on 6th Floor or Windsor House opens at 7:00. The two Fung Shings on Paterson St and 30 Leighton Road at 7:00.

In Tsimshatsui, Serenade at the Cultural Center (also Maxim Group) 8:00. Hon Po at the BP International House on Austin Road 7:00 - pretty downscale. Tao Heung Super 88 has one at 3/F Silvercord Center, 30 Canton Road, 7:00.

And so on...

I get the opening times from some Chinese database, so please call locally to confirm.

All the Maxim Group restaurants are solid, and the Fung Shing restaurants in Causeway Bay have very nice traditional dim sum from Shun Tak (halfway between Macau and Guangzhou).
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:33 PM

There was a similar question on this a few weeks ago, and after calling around, I only found one place that opened early. Happily it is very good, and has the carts which are hard to find in Hong Kong any more. It opens at 8 am.

Metropol Restaurant
4th Floor, United Centre
95 Queensway, Admiralty
Tel: 2865 1988
http://www.heichinrou.com

Good food and good value. No views. It is across the street from Pacific Place Mall and easily reached by MTR (Admiralty station) or the Tram (Pacific Place stop).
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:27 PM

Okay, something pretty irrelevant...

If you need to have dim sum before 7, I can still find places for you. My parents have dim sum at Tak Yu restaurant on Shanghai Street in Kowloon (Yau Ma Tei MTR) all the time. <b>It opens at 5:30a</b>, should be daily.

I had dim sum with them once in 2004:

rkkwan.zenfolio.com/p163727794/?photo=453616337

And again 2 months ago:

rkkwan.zenfolio.com/p7364197/?photo=129552009
rkkwan.zenfolio.com/p7364197/?photo=22236143

It's as old-fashioned and downscale as you can get in Hong Kong for dim sum. Tables on 2nd floor still have spittoons underneath them. My parents now go up to 3rd floor with nicer decor and no spittoons.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:37 PM

I've been to the Metropol one that Cicerone suggested. It is very good.
Also been to Luk Yu but thought it was overpriced and not exceptional.

rkkwan - nice pics - got any of the food? I genuinely like the thought of having dimsum with a spittoon under the table!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all again for advice. Yes, I managed to get a lovely dimsum breakfast this morning. Jade Garden on Salisbury Rd didn't open till 10am so didn't go there. Serenade was open at 8am, not too crowded, good harbour view but no trolly when we were there. Food not the level of Maxim's but definitely above average. Maxim's City Hall open at 9am. Went there on Friday (open at 11am Mon-Sat), got quite crowded with 20min wait but the food was worth it. Enough vegetarian choices, trolly service, mango pudding to die for!

Most important of all, I managed to get to the aiport in time to catch my flight. Dimsum place at the airport didn't seem to be open.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Glad to know it worked out for you!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:56 AM

The &quot;classier&quot; dim sum places don't do carts, and Serenade is one of those, I believe.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM

We visited both Serenade and Luk Yu Teahouse on our recent visit. At Serenade you'll hardly have a view if there's only two of you, as the front row is taken up by the classic large round tables. Service was matter of factly to brusque, but then they are really crowded. Interestingly, prices are about a third lower before 12 noon and after 2pm.

Luk Yu is quite different in decor, lots of dark wood panneling, it actually has real flair and much more local atmo, many businessmen lunching there. In contrast to previous posts we had what was easily the nicest waiter in our 10-day stay. He actually refilled our tea-glasses (other places don't even do that with their overpriced wine!). Prices are on par with the Serenade lunch level (24 to 40 HKD per type afair).