Hong Kong at Xmas, 1 day in China

Nov 24th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Jim fm Michigan

Hong Kong at Xmas, 1 day in China

My wife and I arrive late on the 24th, staying at the Excelsior, upgraded room. We will plan a day in Macau, fishing villages, shopping. What I need is a recommendation on a 1 dayer to China, leave early, back late. Can we do it alone or do we need a guide or a tour? Leave on the 31st.

Nov 24th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Nick

I personally do not prefer Shenzen. Try Guangzhou. There are direct trains leaving from Kowloon to Guangzhou (approx 2-3 hrs). Flying there will take you around 30 mins.

Nov 30th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Nancy

Dear Jim:

I lived in Hong Kong for 5 years until February. I personally don't think a one dayer in China is worth it. You can't get to Beijing, and Shenzhen is not an attractive or interesting city, unless you are heavily into buying fake Prada bags, etc. I don't think Guangzhou is that interesting either, and not worth trying to do in one day. Your hotel may offer for a one day package to go " over the border" and see villages. (It may be called The Land Beyond Tour) This is very much a canned bus tour with a trip to a pottery factory, please avoid it.

I would stick with Hong Kong, and also do Macau as you mentioned. The weather in Hong Kong at Christmas is fabulous, the best time of year, sunny and mid-70s. Go over to Stanley, and the beaches of Shek-O (too cold for swimming but beautiful), go hiking for the day in the New Territories (or do Mt Butler on Hong Kong Island a great walk, not too difficult, a push uphill and then a nice downhill. Takes about 2 hours.) Go to the Peak and walk around Luggard Road, it is flat and gives great views of the harbor and back side of the island. Go the new territories and rent bicycles along the canal, you will go by small farms and will think you are actually in "old" china. Consider spending a night in Macau, there is a very nice Westin on the beach. (Lots of moving for one night, may not be worth it, but give it a thought.)

Go the Lantau and see the giant Buddha, especially on a nice day, it is a good trip that takes most of a day.

Christmas Eve in Hong Kong is a giant public holiday after 6 pm. Be sure to go out into the streets around the Excelsior. Better yet, take the star ferry over to the Kowloon side. Salisbury Road and the streets in the area are closed to traffic and there are literally tens of thousands of people (manly families) walking around just having fun, its like a circus. It goes on until after midnight, so you can go after you get in from your flight. It is something I never got over, as Christmas for me was and inside holiday with the family.

FYI, the Excelsior has a great restaurant on the roof, Talk of the Town. Great views and fusion food. Definitely worth a dinner there.

Save the rest of China for when you have more time. There is so much to see in Hong Kong in 6 days. Have a great trip!

Search this Thread