Hong Kong at Thanksgiving...

Sep 25th, 1999, 06:39 AM
R. Marcelain

Hong Kong at Thanksgiving...

Hi;
I will be going to Hong Kong at Thanksgiving this year. Nov. 25-Dec. 2.
I am a beach person, is the weather at that time of year O. K. for " beach stuff"?
(Shek O). Also , what is the Nightlife like for a Nightowl like myself..

Sep 25th, 1999, 02:43 PM
lynn

Dee Ma! (Cantonese for hello if you pronounce it like I spell it)

Sounds like you're doing what my husband and I did last year. A cheap deal to HK.

I must say, I'm not a beach person myself but it does get pretty warm. It was generally a bit humid and in the upper 70's, perhaps low 80's, I didn't really pay attention to the temp. It could very well be possible that it would be warm enough for the beach.

As far as nightlife, that's not my expertise but I know the Wanchai area on Hong Kong Island gets pretty hoping. Lots of bars, discos, show places, etc. Great place to people watch. Lots of people hang out at various places on the Island. Get one of the guides and you'll read about lots of stuff.

If you want to see a little colorful market life, go to the Temple Street Night Market. Yau Ma Tei MTR stop. I bought some really good jade there for between $5 -$20 a piece. Also good deals on watches and the like. Caution: watch your wallet extra good here.

Also, if you eat meat and don't think you will have stomach problems (we don't but some do at times), there's a guy selling strips of beef, chicken, pork, etc. from his "roll-a-way" grill not too far from the beginning of the market. There's a bowl of satay sauce to dip it in. Yum!! About $1 a stick. Our favorite place to eat dinner in HK.

Have any questions, let me know. We liked HK so much that we just went back on 4th of July with a United E-fare - $400 r/t each person! We couldn't resist.....

Oct 3rd, 1999, 03:24 AM
isa

hi!
i think u have chosen a wrong place for beach. hongkong's beaches are really really bad. water is polluted and i don't think u would like it!

however, hong kong offers excellent nightlife. go to sham sha tsui and mong kok. u can get there by MTR. taxi is avaliable every where on the street. fares are cheap.

u must try foods on the street. they don't apear to be very clean but they are very cheap and very delicious. u will regret if u don't try them!

no matter how little time u have, u must spend sometimes on the PEAK on the hong kong island. the skyline of hong kong is terrific. u will never forget it!
there is a big buhda on the lantau island. take ferry from Central.

in addition to that, u must try a ferry trip from sham sha tsui to the central. it is very very cheap and it offers an excellent view of hong kong.

observe how people walk on the street. hong kong people walk very very fast.
u must walk fast-- like running -- in hong kong. otherwise, u will be pushed by people walking behind u.

there;s a lot to see in hk.
have fun. don't hesitate to email me if u have any question.

Oct 3rd, 1999, 04:07 AM
Ricky

As a local, I agree with Isabella that you should go elsewhere for beaches. But the nightlife is excellent. Check with Lan Kwan Fong (Central) or Tsim Sha Tsui for pubs/bars.

Oct 5th, 1999, 06:27 AM
Francis

Hong Kong is a city that never sleeps. The varieties of night life is really tremendous. If pubs/bars are what you want, go to Lan Kwai Fong, Wanchai, Causeway Bay in the island or Tsimshatsui in Kowloon. There are also theme restaurants, like Igors in Stanley - a ghost restaurant, a Mexican restaurnat in North Point where it is partying every night (you need to experience it). My favourite is to take a ferry ride across the harbour - probably the most romantic night scene in the world.

Beach in November is pretty good. Can be cool but usually quite deserted.

If you like wind surfing, go to Shek O or Big Wave Bay just next to it.

Best way to find all these places is to get a guidebook from the Hong Kong Tourist Assoication desk when you arrive at the airport. They are all free.

Enjoy Hong Kong!!

Oct 5th, 1999, 09:34 PM
Ricky

Francis
The Mexican restaurnat in North Point (CasaMexiciana ???) has closed recently.