Hong Kong and Xian

Search

Hong Kong and Xian

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong and Xian

For 2 adults and 1 child, is it better to take a taxi, bus or train from the HK airport to hotel (Holiday Inn)? Are there reduced fares for children under 11? Does octopus card cover turbojet to Shenzhen?

Are the Terracotta soldiers near Xian airport? Will be arriving in Xian early morning and was considering seeing them before checking in at the Hyatt (will be traveling light, very little luggage). Is the Muslim area worth a visit and is it within walking distance from the Hyatt?

Thanks
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Taxi is expensive. If you have little luggage, travelling by bus is the best option. Children are eligible for Reduced fare. Octopus Card only good for local transportation. Turbojet of course is not included.
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Terracotta Soldiers are located in the suburban (East of Xian), where Xian Airport is to the west of Xian. So, they are far apart.
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:39 AM

Taxi from the Airport to our hotel (Hyatt) in Kowloon was HK$300. Depending on how long you have been traveling (we had just flown from the US) it may be worth the few extra dollars for the convenience of door to door service.
Old May 14th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to China last year and we went to Xi'an to see the Terracotta Warriors and to Hong Kong. We took the turbojet to get from Shenzhen to Kowloon by the way. Well, I have posted a long trip report with pictures from our trip to China on my personal homepage gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there. Get in touch if you have questions or comments.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Here are your choices for HKG-Holiday Inn Golden Mile (all prices in HKD. 1USD=7.8HKD):

- Airport Express train adult $90, children (3-11) $45. There are frequent special deals - until 5/16, children rides free (the kid still needs to get an Octopus card). So, $180 to Kowloon for whole family before 5/16. From the Kowloon station, you can wait for the free shuttle bus to Hotel. Or switch to a taxi. I don't know exactly how much it'll cost, but my guess is about $30 + luggage surcharge.

- Taxi. Like others have said, about $300. For hotel to airport return trip, you may try to negotiate with driver for discount fare. [It's NOT ILLEGAL for customer to initiate a negotiation.] But from airport to city, the meter rate applies.

- Hotel shuttle. About $100/each door-to-door. A couple of companies run them, and usually leave every 30 minutes. They have counters at the arrival hall. Don't know if they have discount for kids.

- Bus. Cityflyer bus A21 is $33 adult, $16.5 for child. The bus stops in front of Imperial Hotel on Nathan Road, just a few steps from the Holiday Inn Golden Mile. [Chungking Mansion in between the two, but you don't need to cross any roadways.]

In my opinion, if you're not in a big hurry, the Cityflyer bus is cheap, very frequent, and not too slow. And if you don't want to mess with buses, then either a taxi or a hotel shuttle. For three people, difference in price is slight.

As for your other question, I don't think they take the Octopus card for Turbojets or other ferries to China and Macau. [And just in case it's not clear - the Octopus is a stored-value card. It's not a "pass".]