Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Airport Plans - ATM, Octopus, Metro - ideas?

Mar 23rd, 2015, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Hello. I will be arriving at the Hong Kong airport next month for a 7 day vacation. I will be landing at 15:25 from Los Angeles. My plan is to find an ATM and get some cash. Then find the Octopus card people and buy that card. Then down to the Metro and I plan to take the Metro to the Salisbury YMCA
1. I'm sure finding an ATM won't be difficult when I get off the plane. Anything unusual I should be aware of?

2. I do not know where the Octopus card is sold in the airport. Any help would be great. I will be doing all touristy stuff so I am not sure how much money to get on my Octopus card for seven days.

3. I can take the Metro, switching trains at Tsing Yi and then again at Nam Chrong and taking it to East Tsim Sha Tsui and walking to my hotel. I will be alone and have only a small wheeled bag. Is this doable or should I be looking into the airport express bus?

I am excited and thankful to all those who are helping me.
Mar 23rd, 2015, 12:36 PM

Everything you need to know about the octopus card:

http://www.hongkongextras.com/octopuscard.html

WHERE TO PURCHASE THE CARD

The card can be purchased on arrival at Hong Kong International Airport at several MTR Airport Express Customer Service Counters in the buffer halls (between customs and the arrival hall), in the arrival hall and on the airport station departure platform. Note - visitors intending to use Octopus Card to travel on the Airport Express from the airport to Tsing Yi, Kowloon or Hong Kong Station can board the Airport Express train without Octopus Card or ticket (there are no platform barriers at the airport station) and purchase Octopus Card or ticket at the Airport Express Customer Service Centre on the arrival platform, before the platform exit barriers, at the destination station.

and can be purchased at Customer Service Centres at;

All MTR Stations (except Racecourse Station) and Airport Express Stations

MTR Light Rail Stations at Ferry Pier Terminus, Leung King, Town Centre, Yuen Long Terminus, Tin Yat, Siu Hong and Tin Shui Wai

KMB Customer Service Centre at Sha Tin Central Bus Terminus

New World First Ferry Piers Octopus Service Centres for Cheung Chau (Central Pier 5) and Mui Wo (Central Pier 6)

New World First Bus Customer Service Centre at Admiralty (East) Bus Terminus

Payment must be made in cash. Credit cards are not accepted for purchase of Octopus Cards or other MTR tickets (Credit card payment is accepted for purchase of Airport Express tickets or Airport Express Travel Pass only).
Mar 23rd, 2015, 01:01 PM

The last time I used public transport to the Salisbury, rather than a taxi, there was a bus from the airport that stopped at the corner of Nathan Rd and Salisbury Rd, a block from the Salisbury on the other side of the Peninsula Hotel, about as convenient as you can get. Inexpensive and no changes. I don't recall the bus number but it shouldn't be difficult to find, either online or on arrival.
Mar 23rd, 2015, 04:12 PM

First, you need to be clear about this:

The train line that serves the airport is the Airport Express. While it is run by the MTR Corporation, it has a different fare structure from, and is not part of, the regular MTR urban and commuter train system, or what you are calling "metro" or "subway". No one say I take the MTR/metro/subway to/from the airport, because you cannot. You take the Airport Express to/from the airport.

Now, taking the Airport Express to Tsing Yi and then switch to other MTR trains to the Salisbury is the LAST WAY I'd recommend. Here are the much better options:

- Taxi all the way
- Airport Express to Kowloon Station then complimentary shuttle to the Peninsula next door
- Airport Express to Kowloon Station, then taxi
- A21 bus

Now, as for payments :

Airport Express train tickets and Tourist passes - which include one or two AE rides PLUS 3-day MTR pass PLUS $50 cash stored on your card to work like an Octopus - can be purchased by credit cards. Regular Octopus - which is just a stored value card with no AE ride or passes - can only be bought with cash. Both can be purchased at several Airport Express/MTR spots at the airport, counters just before you exit into the arrivals greeting hall AND the big circular counters IN the arrivals greeting hall. Having said that, if you decide to take the Airport Express, you DO NOT need to buy your tickets at airport. You can wait until you get to Kowloon Station and buy the tickets there.

Taxis are cash only (unless you're lucky enough to find the handful, literally, that takes credit cards or Octopus.

Cityflyer A21 buses take cash or Octopus on board, or there's a booth near the bus stop that sells single or roundtrip Cityflyer tickets that takes credit cards. You cannot pay by credit card on the bus.
Mar 23rd, 2015, 04:15 PM

Okay, having said all that, in case someone wants to argue with me, I do know there's the S1 bus that goes between Tung Chung and the airport, and one can take regular MTR to/from Tung Chung. Plenty of people go to airport that way, but it's certainly not the way for the Salisbury.
Mar 23rd, 2015, 04:22 PM

It was the A21 bus, then, that I took that was so convenient. I would have gotten off at Nathan Rd @ Middle Rd (rather than Salisbury Rd). The rear entrance of the Salisbury YMCA Hotel is on Middle Rd.

http://www.hongkong.net/transportati...irport/bus/a21