I'm doing an 18 hour transit in HK very soon, which means I have 12 hours to spare exploring the city. I love culture and architecture--it would be my first time in East Asia! A) Any suggestions as to must-go places that's easily reached via public transport?
A quick Google on the internet brought me this list of temples--Chi Lin Nunnery, 10 000 Buddha Monastery, Wong Tai Sin Temple, Po Lin Monastery (because it's close to the airport) and Che Kung Temple. However, I'm not sure if it would be possible to do all these sites as well as spend some time on the waterfront to see the famous skyline--if someone can suggest an itinerary covering the best of these sites with a compulsory stop in Central Station at noon/afternoon (restaurant I have to go), I would really appreciate it!
I like free, but don't mind spending a bit e.g. museum ticket price for some cultural immersion!
B) transport: if I get the tourist day-pass, does that cover transportation from the airport as well, or do I have to buy the Airport Express tickets into the city before I can use the day-pass?
C) how long would it take for me to reach the airport from the waterfront? I'd really like to catch the view at dusk/slightly after dark and, of course, have enough time to catch my connecting flight, which would be around midnight.
D) Is HK pedestrian friendly if I need to cover short distances, e.g. 15 mins?
Appreciate any tips!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Trip Report: Mid-November, 1 night Okayama, 2 nights Naoshima
- 2 Trip Report: Mid November, 1 night Okayama, 2 nights Naoshima
- 3 (Short) side trips from Singapore
- 4 Japan in July with 20 year old
- 5 DuoSlim Garcinia Review
- 6 DuoSlim Garcinia
- 7 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 8 9 days in Japan in April
- 9 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 10 Kyushu Olle Course Trail Resource
- 11 6 Days in Thailand
- 12 Family trip to Thailand for Christmas and possibly New year
- 13 12 days in Cambodia January
- 14 Anti Malarial tablets in SE Asia
- 15 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan
- 16 Internet in SE Asia
- 17 Is it safe to travel Hong Kong in Oct?
- 18 Wat Arun
- 19 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 20 Question re. fees at BOM
- 21 best way to travel between Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and Siem Reap, Cambodia
- 22 Best guidebooks for SE Asia
- 23 Spa Bangkok
- 24 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 25 Using a Starling Bank card in SE Asia