Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Honeymoon Trip To Thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/honeymoon-trip-to-thailand-808997/)

rchowdhury Oct 5th, 2009 08:38 AM

Honeymoon Trip To Thailand

Hello All,
We are planning to go for a honeymoon trip to Thailand. Earlier we had plans to go to Malaysia, but one our friend recommended Thailand. We have never been to Thailand, so I did some searching on the net and we plan to cover the following place in the particular order:

1) Koh Phi Phi - 5 days
2) Penang - 3 days
3) Bangkok - 2 days.

Kindly suggest that is this a good choice for honeymoon couple. We are interested in beaches and quite places where we can spent some quality time together. Trip to Bangkok is mainly for shopping and to get acquainted with the thai cuisine.

Would appreciate if you can help us. Also, let me know if Malaysia is a better option than Thailand. The earlier plan we had for Malaysia was

1) Langkawi - 5 days
2) Kuala Lumpur - 3 days

Gpanda Oct 5th, 2009 08:57 AM

Thailand is great. However, the beach destination is best chosen in conjunction with the weather. When is your honeymoon? The rainy season changes from one side of Thailand to the other in October. Ko Phi Phi is best from November through February.

simpsonc510 Oct 5th, 2009 09:04 AM

Penang IS in Malaysia. Are you sure you meant Penang?

I have no experience in Malaysia, but have made 18 trips to Thailand. I think you will enjoy it a lot. I would increase your time in Bangkok. It is an amazing city!

Kathie Oct 5th, 2009 09:07 AM

As Gpanda says, the time of the year will dictate which beaches are best.

With this itinerary, is Penang meant for Georgetown the lovely historic area? If so, I highly recommend it. Stay at the E&O Hotel for a very romantic atmosphere. If, on the other hand, you are thinking of Penang beaches, I'd suggest something else. The beaches at Penang are not that nice, especially after being at Koh PhiPhi. I'm not sure what the air connections are like between Phuket and Penang. You may have seen my trip report on Penang. If not click on my name and look for trip reports.

Also, Bangkok is a much more interesting city than Kuala Lumpur, IMO.

rchowdhury Oct 6th, 2009 12:48 AM

Gpanda, Simpsonc510 and Kathie, thanks for your reponses.

We are planning out trip in the 1st week of January 2010. We will be going either to Thailand or Malaysia. After going through your responses, we have decide to go to Thailand. No Penang is out we have the following itinerary.

Koh Phi Phi - 5 days
Bangkok - 3

Would you recommend any other place that we can add for a couple of days, suitable for a honeymoon couple.

Also, would appreciate if you could recommend some of the resort that we can book. I came across the Bay View and the Holiday Inn Resort in Koh Phi Phi, but looks like they are all booked for the date we are planning (4th Jan - 13th Jan). We can stretch out budget to accomodate 4-star.

simpsonc510 Oct 6th, 2009 05:53 AM

It may be difficult to get one of the recommended hotels at that time of year, since it is high season. Weather on Phi Phi should be lovely!

rchowdhury Oct 6th, 2009 07:02 AM

Yes, I heard about it that the hotel may not be available. I check online travel portal and found the following available as of today.

Bay View Phi Phi Island
Phi Phi Island Cabana
Aryabhuri Resort

You have any information regarding these resorts. They look lovely if I visit their website.