Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Honeymoon in Bali (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/honeymoon-in-bali-1109646/)

behrytov May 26th, 2016 09:47 PM

Honeymoon in Bali

We will be visiting Bali at the end of this September, staying for 9 days. We want some time to relax on the beach as well as take in culture and do some activities. I have read that Ubud is amazing for the cultural aspect, as well as shopping and restaurants (we are big foodies). I was also thinking Seminyak, as I read it was the best for the beaches and nice for a honeymoon vibe. Nusa Dua was of interest but that seems like a crazy expensive, bland tourist area. Is that true? Lastly, we wanted to go to Lombok to do some snorkeling as well as relax and do some other things. Perhaps a day trip to Gili Islands?

Do those 3 locations sounds like a right amount for 9 days? I have traveled extensively through most of Asia and found more time in less locations is usually the best way to do it. Do you think we may get bored with those 3 or we are not sampling the best of the Bali area? Open to suggestions! Thanks!

rhkkmk May 27th, 2016 05:25 AM

qunci villas on Lombok is fabulous

I think with only 9 days 3 locations is too much

Kathie May 27th, 2016 07:42 AM

I think Ubud, Seminyak and Lombok are all wonderful locations. But in 9 days, I'd choose just two locations. You don't want to waste precious honeymoon time getting from place to place. Depending on many factors it can take you most of a day to move to/from Lombok. So save that for your next trip.

I agree with you on Nusa Dua - a sterile tourist enclave. I remember telling that to someone here who came back after staying in Nusa Dua and said they felt they had plenty of Bali culture in Nusa Dua - after all, they ate in an Indonesian restaurant in a huge shopping center! Not my idea of Bali!

You wouldn't get bored with weeks on Bali! Happy honeymoon!

behrytov May 28th, 2016 11:03 AM

Kathie - I am not crazy about spending a day traveling to Lombok/Gili Islands when we have only 9 days. However, we really want some time to just relax on the beach in a nice hotel with great food nearby and other activities. We don't want to be in a beach resort town with crazy loud bars and drunk teenagers, etc (I heard that's basically Kuta). Do you think it's worth just doing Gili Islands and Ubud or is there somewhere else on Bali that will give us that experience that we would get in the Gili Islands? I would love to do some snorkeling and maybe even surf.

Is 4 days enough for Ubud or will we get bored or is it not enough?

Kathie May 28th, 2016 11:58 AM

You won't get bored with 4 days in Ubud - plenty of people base themselves there for 2 weeks! But you may want to divide beach time with time inland. I agree, avoid Kuta with its drunk teenagers. But Seminyak is a nice beach area with big waves, probably a good location for surfing. I like the Sanur area on Bali.

The Gili islands are not easy to get to, so if you choose the Gilis, plan to spend a day or two) in transit. There are places on Bali with good snorkeling, the northeast, I believe is considered best (do check that as I'm writing this from memory).

With just nine days, I'd choose two locations on Bali - Near Ubud, and a beach location like Seminyak or Sanur.

This is a honeymoon - don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

marmot May 28th, 2016 03:17 PM

I can tell more about Seminyak. The west coast beach stretches from Kuta in the south to Canggu in the north. Petitenget which is the northern part of Seminyak has several luxury resorts and many sophisticated restaurants, clubs and spas. That's where you want to be.

The beach is long and wide with big waves and wonderful sunsets. The resorts all have extensive grounds and beautiful pools, but if you want to be right on the beach you can rent a lounge chair and umbrella.

The tides and swells are variable. Some times it's calm, sometimes rough, but always mesmerizing.

The beaches are lively -- not crowded but not deserted either. Great for long walks.

Petitenget temple is a major beach temple and there are ceremonies on the beach most days.

Some resorts to look at are The Legian(the one in Seminyak), Samaya, Alila. Also the W, though I don't recommend it. Not right on the beach but very close, the Colony is a good value.

All of the are walking distance from Bali's best restaurants.

You could also consider renting a villa. It won't be on the beach (but nearby). Staying in a villa with a full staff is a luxurious and private experience. Look at Elite Havens to get an idea of what is available.

For snorkeling you need to go north, either Amed or around Pemuteran / Menjangan island. These are charming communities but the beaches aren't too good.