Search

Hokkaido vs. Tohoku vs. Kyushu x 1 week in June

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hokkaido vs. Tohoku vs. Kyushu x 1 week in June

Hi everyone!

My SO and I are planning a monthlong trip to Japan in June. The current plan is to spend approx 1 week in the Tokyo area, 1 week in Kyoto and daytrips (Nara, Uji, Hiroshima/Miyajima, Osaka), and 1 week in between the two (Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Kanazawa, Kiso Valley) - not necessarily in that order. We are looking for how we should spend the remaining 5-7 days and are quite open to suggestions.

We will be using a JR pass and not driving or flying, if that factors into things (e.g. probably not to Shiretoko or Rishiri/Rebun as it will cut into too much travel time). It would be nice to have this one week to experience a part/aspect of Japan totally different than the rest of our trip. As for our likes/dislikes - we are young and energetic, relatively budget-conscious, and generally like to keep our vacations busy and action packed... but the other 3 weeks will be pretty action-packed for sure and it would be nice to take it easy (comparatively... we could not spend a week or even half a week in a single onsen for example!!) We are also not averse to hiking/camping if there are opportunities.

The 3 areas that are contenders right now would be Hokkaido vs. Tohoku vs. Kyushu, the first two moreso due to better weather in June, but I'd love specific recs for places to go within whichever area(s) you'd pick.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

unitoro
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Given the time of year, I think your best best is Tohoku. The weather will be lovely (Hokkaido may still be cold and Kyushu may be staring to get very hot!) It's more rural than the cities with lots of nature and a brief respite from all the temples and the Western tourists.

I would definitely check out Lake Tazawa-ko - there is apparently an amazing ryokan there (Tsurunu-yo) that books up way in advance but is only 8000y per person per night - we didn't get to stay there but others have and rave. There's a lot of hiking in that area as well. You take the shinkansen from Tokyo and you are there in three hours - then you take a 45 minute bus trip to Nyuto onsen. The train goes through the treetops and is simply breathtaking. We were there (at Kuroyu onsen) in June 2009 and wished we had stuck around longer. From there you can explore Kakunodate and other places if you want.

You can book Tsurunu-yo through Japanese Guesthouses. Here is some info about Nyuto Onsen http://www.nyuto-onsenkyo.com/englis...tsurunoyu.html.

We spent a week in Hokkaido in June 2009. Here is our trip report from that trip (includes Nyuto Onsen)
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...interested.cfm

We did Kyushu in April 2008. This is our trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...a-kumamoto.cfm
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 01:50 PM

The best choice you have that you listed would be Hokkaido. It fits the bill for what you are looking for to the t but you are limiting yourself with not wanting to fly. There are cheap domestic flights but oh well.
Puttaka mentions Tsurunoyu Onsen in the above thread in Tohoku which is a great place to cool out for a couple of days and the hiking in the area is spectacular. The Lake Tazawa area is beautiful and the weather should be cooler there at elevation during June than the places you mention in the south. You should also consider the Lake Towada region in Tohoku with the Oriase River area the place to be. There are budget acoomodations available there but I am no help in that area as I luckily do not travel that way anymore but have seen a lot of budget places to stay in the area. Try the Trip Advsor board for more info. Sorry but I am on a rented computer in Sapporo now and don't have access to all of my bookmarks.
Kyushu is a good option but might be getting too hot for my blood at that time and I live in Hawaii
Maybe the Kii Peninsula or even the Izu Peninsula would also fit your bill.
You are really cutting out your best option by not wanting to make the trek to Hokkaido imho. The Shiretoko Peninsula is awesome and some of the best hiking and sightseeing in all of Japan not to mention the Lake Akan region. It is the most beautiful place I have been to in Japan yet and I have been to quite a few places here. Good luck.

Aloha!
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!
I will definitely consider Tohoku- it doesn't get much press compared to Hokkaido and Kyushu and it's nice to hear some recs for that area! Tsurunoyu sounds heavenly!

Re: Hokkaido- I really want to go, and this was the original plan (but more of the south and central end of things due to distance). I really really do want to visit Shiretoko and Rishiri/Rebun as I've heard they're beautiful. How would the weather be in mid-June though? I know for one the waterfall in Shiretoko doesn't have transportation to it until mid July... just don't want it to be too cold. Re: cheap domestic travel, I know about the oneworld pass if I fly certain carriers; what are the other cheap options?

thanks again!!
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

oh wait, I found this:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html re: cheap fares. I will definitely reconsider, and then maybe cut down the JR pass to 2 weeks + flights instead of 3.

Still curious about the weather in the remote regions of hokkaido in mid-June. I really don't want to need to bring a whole different set of clothes for a different (i.e. cold) climate.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 03:02 PM

The weather should be nice in Hokkaido at that time, No need for winter clothing maybe a lighter jacket or sweater will do.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 02:32 AM

I went to Hokkaido in mid-June (Sapporo, Ashaikawa, and Asahidake Onsen). It was around 60 degrees everyday.