Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ho to get away from Male (to another country?) for little money?

Jan 14th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Oh well, flights from Germany to Malé are ultra cheap for quite a while now. I'm talking 110€ roundtrip. But, it seems staying there is extremely expensive?
So the idea is to go maybe to Sri Lanka from there and stay a week.

Can anybody tell me the best, least expensive options to get away from and back to Malé to a more affordable but still interesting place.
Jan 14th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Usually Hos are trying to get close to males for a lot of money...

(sorry..)
Jan 17th, 2010, 05:47 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to get from the Maldives to another country is to fly, unless you have your own boat. I have taken Sir Lanka Airlines from Delhi to Male and there is a stopover in Colombo, so you certainly could get there, I just have no idea of the cost relative to what you are paying for “cheap” flight from Germany.

If you don't already have it, get a copy of the Lonely Planet guidebooks for the Maldives, and possibly the Rough Guide if they publish one. Lonely Planet also has a chatroom where you can read comments from travellers or post questions. The area of the site you need is called "Thorn Tree ". The site is somewhat similar to this Talk section of the Fodors site.

I don’t belive that there is any regular commercial ferry service to any other country from the Maldives. I believe that even getting to the Lakshadweep Islands in the north, which are politically part of India but geographically part of the Maldives, requires a flight. (It may be possible to get there using a series of ferries, but this may take your whole week. I also am not sure that you could make the international crossing by ferry at all. Ferries to Lakswhadeep generally seem to come from the Indian mainland.) My understanding is that the few resorts in Lakshwadeep are actually on the expensive side, and they don’t have camping islands; but I would try the Lonely Planet website or guidebook for more information.

You may not find all hotels in the Maldives to be as expensive as you think. Try the Lonely Planet book or website. I believe you may still have to spend in the US$90 range for anything but a basic hotel in Male itself. I would not suggest that you stay in Male, a very crowded town with no beaches. However, I believe you would find 2 and 3 star hotels on resort islands which are are affordable. It is my understanding that there are camping options as well. There is an inter-island ferry service which is very cheap which you can use for transport in some cases.

If you can get a cheap flight down to Gan in the far south, a much less populated island city, you may find an inexpensive hotel there. Staying on Gan would be much quite pleasant and would let you see something of the more quiet island life. There is one resort hotel in Gan, called Equator Village, see http://www.equatorvillage.com/; its got a lot of run down colonial charm actually and might not be a bad choice. There should be guest houses in other parts of Gan village.

I would finally say that the Maldives is really beautiful and they have the friendliest people I have met anywhere, so to leave the Maldives to go to Sri Lanka seems like a waste of time, effort and money. I believe with some research, you can find a cost-effective way to stay in the Maldives.
Jan 18th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I will look into it. It looks like it needs a lot of planning. I'm more used to the fly somewhere and see what happens. That doesn't seem to be a good idea on the Maledives, even if the flight from and to Germany is only $160.. Sigh..
Jan 18th, 2010, 02:08 PM

There are so many beautiful islands to visit in the Maldives....and Male isn't one of them. They're not all ultra expensive, either. My spouse travels to Bandos every year for scuba diving - it's one of the more moderately priced options, but there are several that are more rustic and less expensive too.

You can reach Bandos via a short boat ride from Male.

It just seems a shame to fly to Male and then not visit the Maldives - you'd really be missing out IMO.
Jan 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM

lcuy, naughty. tsk, tsk. lol.