HK-Beijing train/flight questions

May 21st, 2004, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

HK-Beijing train/flight questions

Hello,

Can I, in the UK, buy a return HK-BJ train ticket, or just 2 x 1 way? (I need a return portion for a visa, I believe, to show I am leaving the country.) If so, where to book?

Also, can you recommend a good travel agent in HK for HK-BJ, HK-Taipei flights. Again, I need to 'show' a return portion, so will e tickets suffice for the Chinese embassy here in London?

Thanks a lot!
May 31st, 2004, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Hello,
Updating this thread. Does Peter or anyone else know an answer to my question? Hope so. Thanks in advance.
May 31st, 2004, 06:42 AM

If you are visiting HK for few days before your trip to China, you should wait with visa and tickets till you get there. There are hundreds of travel agents in HK that will get you a Chinese visa in a day or 2 and they will get you the best price on any travel arrangments you may need. You could actually bargain with them.
May 31st, 2004, 06:42 AM

HK-China train tickets for sale over the Web typically cost 60% to 70% more than they cost in Hong Kong. They are easily bought at face value in Hong Kong itself. The proper timetable and prices can be found at the operator's Web site:

http://www.kcrc.com/eng/services/ser...itts_intro.asp

If want to book a ticket a little while ahead, you can do so with a phone call to the numbers given there, or you could book through CTS Hong Kong's Web site: www.chinatravelone.com. Don't, however, use this site for any other transport arrangements.

Return rail tickets have only just arrived in China, and are not universally available. However, you're in luck buying a HK-BJ-HK ticket in HK.

For details on shopping for flights from HK to elsewhere, see:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34474440

The regulation on having to show that you have an exit ticket from Shanghai is almost universally applicable, but almost never applied. Like the requirement to travel in groups only which is posted on the wall of my local consulate, where dozens of visas for individual travel are sold daily, it mostly serves as an excuse for rejecting applicants who are actually being rejected for less savoury reasons (such as putting Tibet or Xinjiang on their visas applications). So you may find this is not a problem.

But then you can very easily buy China visas in HK in 24 hours or less, and more cheaply than in the UK, without such restrictions.

Peter N-H
http://members.shaw.ca/pnhpublic/China.html

Search this Thread