Matsue lodging and sights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Matsue?

I haven't quite figured out the logistics of the area. How easy is it getting around the city, to the lake, the onsen, and Izumo Taisha?

A couple of hotel/ryokan are near or on the lake which is a bus ride from the city, but I am concerned that they may be remote.

Any regional cuisine that can be recommended?

I might be flying out of Yonago airport and wonder if it would be worthwhile to spend the night (Sunday night) there instead of Matsue.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

lil help?
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:27 PM

OK...I'll bite...but I know that you are really good at researching so probably you've already seen this stuff.

I don't have any first hand, second hand, or even third hand info on Matsue...but I must say that after a little investigation it does look like a great stop.

http://www.infocreate.co.jp/hometown.../matsue-e.html

http://www.city.matsue.shimane.jp/kankou/en/

http://www.jref.com/practical/matsue.shtml

Of course, lots of info in Japanese...

A good idea might be to go to a travel agency in one of the stations early on in your trip and inquire about places to stay...they'll have books filled with hotels and ryokans with pictures and descriptions that there isn't English and/or web access to. They should also be able to advise you on whether staying near the airport or in Matsue is more convenient.

Just a guess, but it's such a touristed place I would think it is easy to get around.

Sorry...that's about all I can say about it...
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links, Kim. I've researched the basics so fare for Matsue. Yesterday I picked up an airline ticket from Yonago to Nagoya to catch my flight home.

I will take your advice and book the place(s) in Matsue after I get to Japan. Haven't seen anything that interesting yet on the web or in my guide books (though there are some good options).

I finally called Rihga Royal in Hiroshima last night. Was offered a rate of 28,000 room only. I asked about their B&B rate, waited a minute, and was told it was 28,000. Am keeping the 21,500 res that I have.

When I inquire about Matsue I will also ask about a better rate at the RR. Also, I was quoted a rate for twin room, sea view, at the Shimonoseki Grand Hotel for 18,480 which was higher than I expected by about 4500.
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:28 PM

I think that the B & B rate at the Rhiga was an internet only rate...I've tried to book internet only rates at the Tokyu before by phone and they've said no, so maybe that's what is going on there. What happens if you try online?

Old May 11th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

I think I see the rate. 9000 to 11000 per person for a 26 sqm root.
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

I am pretty sure that I got the internet special rate at the RR. I saw the page where it listed the number of rooms available fore each day. For 5/24, it had <b><u>0</u></b> as the availability which, of course !!, means 5 rooms available.