Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hints for buying a 1-way tkt Hong Kong - BKK? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hints-for-buying-a-1-way-tkt-hong-kong-bkk-560126/)

chicago999 Sep 22nd, 2005 06:46 AM

Hints for buying a 1-way tkt Hong Kong - BKK?

I am using miles to travel from Chicago to Hong Kong, returning from Bangkok. Now I'm trying to find a good far for a one-way ticket from Hong Kong to Bangkok. They're running $350+ USD. Any hints on finding a low fare, and/or which airline to fly?

JamesA Sep 22nd, 2005 07:45 AM

Emirates one way is about USD 165, kenya Airways about USD 126 plus taxes/surcharges, the one way fares seem about 70-80% of the returns, but for one ways such fares are readily available from HK Travel Agents, I found those on www.tiglion.com ( but they were cash fares ), those were Oct fares.

Another way you can do it is to take Air Asia ( Budget Airline ) from Macao to Bangkok, just tried an Ocober date and it was MOP 498 plus 250 taxes = MOP 748 = approx USD 98

OK you have to get from HK to macao and hopefully someone can come in with ideas of easiest way, that was for a 14.20 hrs flight so I 'pressume' enough easy time to get to Macao Airport.

Though for the time etc maybe direct would be easier, Emirates and Gulf Air are both Daily from HKG to BKK and both good service, seatback TVs etc etc, kenya Airways quite good but depends if they are using a 767 or one of their new 777'2, also not doubt promotions on Cathay, Dragonair another doing the route but appears to be no fares advertised online.

JamesA Sep 22nd, 2005 08:01 AM

Just has a look at Cathay pacific's Online site, clicked on promotion fares, put in 25 October and fare came out including all taxes and surcharges at total of USD 202, and that is straight booking online with Cathay.
That is a 'return fare' !! Could not see any deals for a one way at all.

It gets better....I just threw in 17th November as a date, including taxex etc Emirates came out at HKD 1,256 = USD 162

http://www.emirates.com/hk/en/specia...alFaresnew.asp

Maybe just email/fax and agent anyone can suggest and see what they can offer you, www.tiglion.com is the only one I know but hoefully others can direct you to ones they have used in HK.

Anway shows that USD 350+ is way way off.

rkkwan Sep 22nd, 2005 08:05 AM

Like JamesA said, just go to any travel agent when you're in Hong Kong, and they'll find you good fares. Lots of flights a day.

Going to Macau is a little bit of hassle. The ferry runs every 15 minutes and takes about 55. ~US$20. May have a fuel surcharge these days. Cheap taxi from ferry to airport. But the total travel time will be a lot longer.

kuranosuke Sep 22nd, 2005 09:13 AM

can't you use your miles for a tkt to bkk, with a free stop in hk on your way over?

JamesA Sep 22nd, 2005 09:34 AM

rkkwan, thought you would come thru with that, I have no idea of the logistics and viability of going via Macao.
hadn't though of that, as Kuranosuke said maybe you could add on that secttor or pay something extra, might be worth looking at.

There are 'so many' airlines on the route and so many flights, though time of year is important as there are certain times where with all those flights it could be tough, but those are the peak holiday times only really.

luangwablondes Sep 22nd, 2005 01:52 PM

Try Goodway Travel in Hong Kong

www.goodwaytravel.com.hk

I worked with Grace Lee

[email protected]

She came up with a really cheap flight to BKK. Takes about 4-6 hours to get these discounted tickets if you are waiting. I flew on Emirates if I remember correctly when I asked for the cheapest and time frame.

There is a hotel across the street that had discounted rooms-New Kings Hotel-arranged at the airport.Very small rooms, a/c but quite nice. 473 Nathan RD. Kowloon. [email protected]
So when I stayed there the 1st time and called out of a newspaper, all I had to do was walk across the street.I don't go into Hk with reservations except when it is a known busy time there. Cheap quality rooms can be had as you walk out of customs where maps and brochures are picked up.

Found how I came up with Goodway. Flying into Hong Kong several years ago, the guy next to me let me borrow his copy of the South China Morning Post. In the classified there is a travel section. Called around to several and Grace Lee had one of the best prices and best service. Besides finding out in the end they were across the street. What was really great is the a/p bus-operating on a frequent schedule- picks up/drops off a stones throw away. The room in 2002-only rate I recorded, was HK403.

SJLBK Sep 23rd, 2005 07:42 AM

Just wanted to add that we did this last year and booked with Emirates. What a nice airline! Even the coach seats have little fold-out footrests and you get video games and such in your personal in-seat tv monitor! Definitely one of the better airlines I have flown.