Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hilton Osaka (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hilton-osaka-586046/)

Theresa Jan 28th, 2006 04:22 PM

Hilton Osaka

I am still spinning in research... As much as Kyoto may be the best place to stay - the prices are significantly lower in Osaka and I am thinking I will homebase here. Based on what I have read here - it looks like the Osaka Hilton is the best choice for location.

The problem is I really want the Executive Floor and it is about 34,600 JPY ($303 US) verses about $240 US for a double room (non-executive level).

Are there any promos or specials out there that can help me. I am not a frequent HIlton stayer so I have nothing there to help me with the price....

Thanks for all the help!

Theresa Jan 28th, 2006 04:24 PM

Looking for March 26-31.

Also - what is the best way to get from KIX to Hiton. I heard about the limo/bus from Hilton back and was wondering if I can get this at the airport to the Hilton.

Theresa Jan 28th, 2006 04:36 PM

Any opinion of the Executive Club level at Swissotel? Is it equivalant to Hilton's?

KimJapan Jan 28th, 2006 06:17 PM

I don't know the Swisshotel...don't even know where it it.

If you join Hilton Honors, free - you can do it online - you get "spouse stays free." In Japan that makes a difference. You book a room for one person, then in the notes field write "Hilton Honors spouse stays free".

Individual hotels also have special rates you won't find onlline. Call directly to the Hilton Osaka, ask for reservations, then ask about any special rate plans they have for your time period. One plan they almost always have is called Smart Stay...it's usually very reasonable, and has an option for paying a bit more and upgrading to exec floor. Using a single person and spouse stays free, exec floor is 28,875 yen on the "executive choice" rate for your dates. That's a lot cheaper than 34,600 yen. Still, call them and see if they can do even better under another hotel only plan. They speak excellent English.

From KIX, there are limo buses that go either to the Hilton directly, or if not directly to the Hilton (only some do), then take the bus to Herbis Osaka/Ritz Carlton. It's just across the street. If your bags have wheels then you just get off the bus, cross the street and go right in...it's maybe 300 meters. If, by chance, you have a lot of luggage, you could send one person across to the Hilton and ask the staff to help you with a trolley. They've walked us over there plenty of times that way to get the bus to the airport.

Theresa Jan 29th, 2006 05:28 AM

Kim - thank you!

It took me awhile to call (I couldn't figure out the correct code to dial to call Japan) - once I got through, they were not able to give me a better rate then online. I mentioned the Smart Stay and apparently it wasn't offered.

I did secure an Executive Level room using the Spouse Stays Free/Hilton Honors option. Thank you for the hint on this. I hope it doesn't matter that I am traveling with a girlfriend and not a spouse.

Is there internet available (for a charge or free) with the Executive Room and can you tell me about the breakfast and what else is offered in the Executive Room through out the day? I assume there will be small snacks and beverages. I doubt we will be near the hotel at lunch but more interested in the evening. Are there Western and Japanese food items available or is it pretty much Japanese food only?

Again, thank you!
Theresa

KimJapan Jan 29th, 2006 01:28 PM

They won't care a thing about whether it's a girlfriend or a wife.... But actually, are you both female? They might question it...but they might not. Probably depends on who checks you in. At worst, they will increase the rate. At best, they'll say nothing. It's something that you could likely argue about though, because same sex spouses are not that unusual.

Breakfast in the lounge is a combination of Japanese items and western items. There will be rice or okayu (rice porridge), small Japanese dishes, sliced cheese/meats, scrambled eggs, bacon, cereals, yogurt, fruit salad, seasonal fruit, salad, breads and pastries. They have made boiled eggs for me before.

All day, you can drop in anytime for drinks. They have just about anything you could want. They are free. Throughout the day, the offerings change. Cookies and nuts and fruit are just about always there we'vve found. If you find that the lounge is too crowded (sometimes, but not often), or you want to have breakfast in the restaurant on the second floor, they will give you coupons to do this. In the evening, hors d'oevres offerings are from a different in house restaurant each night. Cocktails are also available and are free of charge. After 6 pm children are not permitted in the lounge.

The exec floor also gives you access to the fitness club and pool...otherwise this costs money to guests who do not have Hilton Honors status, we've never paid, but I think I remember it to be 2000 or 3000 yen per person per day. Not cheap, so a good benefit.

The staff in the lounge will also be happy to help with anything you need. We've also gotten in house restaurant discounts by being on the exec floor from time to time. At lunchtime, the Chinese restaurant often has a buffet for a reasonable price and the Peking Duck is excellent (and otherwise not affordable).

I've used a laptop borrowed from the lounge to check e-mail and use internet. They didn't charge me anything, but I did see a notice about a charge...so available, yes. Free, ???

Should you crave a giant meal of western food, you might want to try the buffet dinner in the second floor Checkers restuarant. Though I'm not a buffet fan in general, this one is pretty good and offers an amazing variety. Price is right, as well.

If you exit the Hilton through the Basement level and continue underground, you will find yourself in an unbelievable maze of underground shopping and eating. Wander freely...you can't get hopelessly lost really, and there are some good shops.

Theresa Jan 29th, 2006 02:29 PM

Thank you for your long explanation - that is exactly what I was looking for! Sounds wonderful

We are both females (friends). Now I am wondering if I should be worried....... Should I call Hilton and clarify?

KimJapan Jan 29th, 2006 02:33 PM

You could maybe call their 800 number and ask about the spouse stays free policy and if it covers same sex spouse as well. Wouldn't hurt...and I'm sort of curious now.

Theresa Jan 29th, 2006 02:51 PM

I was hoping they would just interpret that as another person in the room.

I did call and they said I needed to call Guest Relations and that number is closed - I will call tomorrow and see but I think I am out of luck.

I didn't give her my reservation number because I didn't want it marked but she was like "Some hotels don't charge extra for a 2nd person" and I said "this one does".

I am trying to search for other specials that would bring that room down in price but am out of luck at the moment.

Now I really want this room (same money on food) but $300/night is unreasonable.

SlinkyDog Feb 2nd, 2006 05:19 PM

I just returned from a three-night stay at the Hilton Osaka. I stayed on the Executive Floor, but I was upgraded to that (due to being in their frequent stay program), so didn't pay the Executive rate for it.

While I certainly enjoyed the perks of the Executive Floor, I found the room to be rather small. I was staying by myself, so it wasn't an issue, but if my spouse had been with me, I think we would have found it small. (But it is Japan, so small/big rooms are relative!)

I have read on some Hilton forums that the Deluxe rooms are actually nicer and have better beds than the Executive rooms. (I guess they have been renovating, and have done the Deluxe rooms first?) I can't confirm that with any first-hand knowledge, and it seems strange that that would be the case, but that is what some people are saying.

I appreciated the Executive Floor for the buffet breakfasts, and also for unwinding at night, reading one of their newspapers. (The buffet breakfast is a nice mix of Japanese and western food, as KimJapan pointed out.) I was only there for one of the evenings for their 6 pm - 8pm service, and what they had out was definitely more dessert items, and maybe just a few very small appetizers. (Certainly not enough to fill up on, as can be done at some other Hilton Executive lounges!)

I was originally going to spend my last night here as well, but the rate was similar to what you've been quoted (but for a Deluxe room), and I decided I just couldn't swing it. (Part of the reason the rates are so expensive is that Expedia messed up in November, and was offering rooms here for $1 per night! (Obviously some conversion problems with the yen!) It was just a short timeframe when this rate was available, but enough so that many people took advantage of it. Expedia apparently tried to back out of it, but the last I heard was that at least some people were having that rate honored for their upcoming stays this year!)

I didn't use the Internet while I was there, but there is a laptop in the lounge (and a special laptop area), like KimJapan mentioned. The one thing I really liked is that I had a direct fax machine/fax line in my room! So it was nice to come back after a long day and have a fax waiting from my spouse!

I took the limo bus as well (bus/waiting area #5 outside of the airport; pay at the machines directly across from the stop, and get a ticket first before boarding the bus), and it was fine. It was the third stop, which the people loading my luggage took pains to point out to me. It dropped me right at the lobby, so I didn't have to cross that busy street.

I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton, but I personally don't know if the executive floor is worth all that extra money. But I certainly love staying in a Western-style hotel for those first few days in a new country, and the Hilton is a very nice hotel.

KimJapan Feb 2nd, 2006 07:03 PM

Good point about the money. We are always upgraded as well because of HHonors status. However, if you add in the cost of breakfast for 2, pool/sports club use for 2, a couple of glasses of wine, you've got another ¥10,000 yen right there easily.

The rooms are all the same size...at least the many that we've stayed in. The exec floor rooms have not been redone yet, but some lower floor rooms have. You could ask for a renovated room with executive floor priveliges, I'm sure, especially if you are paying for exec floor.

SlinkyDog Feb 2nd, 2006 07:41 PM

KimJapan, you're absolutely right that if you want to make use of the pool/fitness facility, plus maybe have some wine, the Executive floor would be well worth it, no question.

(The better thing, though, is to be upgraded off of the Classic rate. :-) (Gotta love the HHonors program!))