Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hill Tribes of Thailand Tour with General Tours (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hill-tribes-of-thailand-tour-with-general-tours-269091/)

kh Oct 28th, 2002 12:48 PM

Hill Tribes of Thailand Tour with General Tours

Has anyone taken this trip with these folks? Would love to have info. Thanx,K

traveler Oct 28th, 2002 03:21 PM

My wife (of 22 days) and I just returned from Thailand where we spent our honeymoon. We did a 3-day trek with Wayfarers (www.wayfarersthailand.com) and had a terrific experience visiting the hilltribes north of Chiang Mai. They took great care of us and would recommend their services in a second.

cb Nov 3rd, 2002 12:51 PM

Just got back from a Thailand tour that included an afternoon visit to villages of the Karen and Akha tribes. I'm quite disapointed with the hill tribe tour because all it was was a short walk around the villages and contact with the people was limited to those trying to sell you something. Soon as we arrived at the sites, hordes of children and a few elderly women descended upon us selling small items. Even after buying something from 1 or 2 of them, other children stuck to us as we walked around, trying to sell more of the same. We got to see more shops than houses; I guess it's not really possible to visit their homes.<BR><BR>For better appreciation of hilltribe tours, one should visit the hilltribe museum in Chiang Mai.<BR>

pjr Nov 4th, 2002 11:41 AM

I agree with the above poster. The hill tribe tour that we took was the same. Make sure you have some 10 bahts with you.

Craig Nov 4th, 2002 12:03 PM

There are many, many tour companies that can take you on a tour or a trek to see hill tribes. On a typical day trip all you will see is tribespeople in costume and their shops. The overnight treks provide a more authentic experience. However, you may wind up sleeping on the floor of a tent and eating nothing but rice. Those who have gone on the longer treks say they are the experience of a life time.

Bill A Nov 5th, 2002 08:54 AM

I have taken 3 different trips with GT. They are are very good company and their Hilltribes itinerary is a good one.

kh Nov 5th, 2002 08:04 PM

Bill-Thanx for insight on General Tours. I am not interested in going into peoples' homes - I don't open mine to tour groups. I was looking for info about the quality of the tour as well as any comments. I am too comfort prone to sleep on floors these days, I fear, so a true trek isn't of much interest. Thanx to everyone....

rudy Nov 6th, 2002 07:39 PM

To see craft shops and hilltribes dressed in their costumes, one does not have to pay those over-priced half day tours. We encountered them in chiang rai, chiang mai, and other places. The night markets are a good place to find them. Khantoke dinner at Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center features real hilltribes performing; the 270 baht spent is worth it (the center even provides transportation from/to your hotel). Agree that the museum is a good place to learn about them. <BR><BR>