Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > hiking/trekking in Yunnan area perhaps tibet too?
Notices

hiking/trekking in Yunnan area perhaps tibet too?

Jun 18th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

hiking/trekking in Yunnan area perhaps tibet too?

I have never been to China. I am planning on a mid to late September trip. I like hiking and need some suggestions for multi day treks, staying in local guesthouses. Any suggestions on itinerary and guides? I can take 18 days. Might like to include Tibet too. Also, never having been to China, are the major cities something to think about visiting as well? Any suggestions for an itinerary would be greatly appreciated.
Jun 18th, 2014, 09:11 PM

You won't get many answers here, but try Lonely Planet or other forums with more hardcore hikers. My wife did a 3-day hike to Yubeng (雨崩) in Deqin County (德钦县) in far NW part of Yunnan and she said it was amazing. So, do some search on those places.

Going to Tibet, you need to get the Tibet Travel Bureau permit and it's troublesome. That far NW part of Yunnan are Tibetan in culture and scenery anyways.
Jun 19th, 2014, 02:12 AM

We recently completed a 23 day tour of China with Peregrine. The first ten days was a tour of Yunnan Province. The highlight was the hike in Tiger Leaping Gorge. We left our luggage on the bus and carried a small backpack for two days, staying in two Guest Houses on the way. The group was small (11 people) and we also visited Dali, Lijiang and Shaxi. The first tour of ten days (Yunnan Explorer) can be done on its own. I think one of the highlights apart from TLG was the food. Our guide took us to amazing eating places and ordered the food after consulting with us. Each meal cost about $5 AUS. BTW our group ranged in age from 23 to 77. I found the 27 bends too much and rode a mule for some of the trek. Some had tummy bugs and were driven to the guest houses via hair raising roads. All survived and loved the experience.

Search this Thread