Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Hiking - roaming coastal places south + west - any ideas please?
Notices

Hiking - roaming coastal places south + west - any ideas please?

Sep 4th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Hiking - roaming coastal places south + west - any ideas please?

Hi there!
I’ll be travelling in South Korea next month and I was wondering where could be a good area to enjoy and walk by nice coastal scenery, maybe wild rock coast or anything beautiful and characteristic natural seaside spot of Korea.
It could be for hiking a few hours, or just spending a day there or also another one somewhere else with similar natural scenery.
P/S: the general plan is to make a loop around the country ex Seoul for 3 weeks, so, roughly, go south-east to Gyeongju-Busan, turn west towards Suncheon-Jeonju and then north to Seoul again, stopping also here or there when time permits.
I’ll be travelling solo by bus and train and due to time / money restrictions, it won’t be so easy to leave far from mainland (so, no flights or long ferry rides unfortunately...).
Any suggestions for such beautiful coastal places, easily reachable by public transport and budget friendly, would be very much appreciated!!
Many thanks in advance!!!
Happy travels!
Nikos
Sep 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM

Hi, check out Korea's official travel website in English.
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/index.kto

Lots of useful info, and you can email them your questions or even call them when you're in Korea to get help. They go out of their ways to help foreigners in their travels. We asked them to talk to our bus driver to drop us off at a different location. They also helped us with hotel booking while we're on the road.

Also, check if they still have promotions that offer free tour bus transportations to some cities in Korea. We got a free ride to Gyeonju (ancient capital) from Seoul last year on a nice tour bus.

We went to many interesting (Unesco World Heritage sites) in Korea -- national parks, temples, historical sites -- last year, and used all public transportation. It was easy and economical. You can also find inexpensive and clean lodging too.

I'd recommend you also check out templestays. They're very cheap and unique options. You pay around $30 to $50 USD per person per night, and you get temple lodging, meals, activities included. We did it in Haeinsa Temple--very significant temple in the mountain.

Good luck!
Sep 9th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips!
templestays must be very interesting, I hope to arrange one or two!

Search this Thread