Here's our BKK itinerary

Search

Here's our BKK itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's our BKK itinerary

We're visiting BKK for the first time in Oct for 3 days, before that we'll spend 4 days in Phuket. In the past month I've posted a few threads to get some questions answered related to our trip -- thanks to many for providing great info and hope it was appropriate to have separate posts for each set of questions.

After doing some research and read many posts on this forum, I came up with this itinerary and hoping to get some input! Also welcome any restaurants recommendations - I'm a foodie and often plan my trips around restaurants and food I want to try!

Don't think I've mentioned our background... we are early 30s couple from Toronto, love to explore, love food, wine and dine. Shopping is usually not a priority but I heard shopping is great in Thailand so do want to incorporate this in our short trip. This Thailand trip is a side trip from our trip to Hong Kong to visit friends and families.

We'll either be staying at Grand Sukhumvit by Sofitel or Pullman King Power - still haven't booked yet. Our budget is $100 per night and both of these work. In addition to location, we prefer newer hotels when we aren't staying at the top tier hotels

Here's what we're hoping to accomplish in our 3-day trip:

Grand Palace, Wat Pho and Wat Arun
Jim Thompson House
Shopping - thinking maybe Central World Plaza and/ Emporium
Craft shopping - where?
Suan Lum Night Bazaar (or other night market)
....Would be nice if I can fit in a Thai massage somewhere

For food and dining expereince (I came up with this list after reading many recommendations here!!) I want to try:

Food stalls and markets
Sky Bar or Vertigo Grill and Moon Bar to have drinks at night
Boo Pat Pong Garee/ curry crab
Coconut Palm
Dinner at Kinaree
Food court

Here's the schedule I've in mind - does this make sense?

Wed: Arrive before noon then check in at our hotel. Spend the afternoon wander in the Sukhumvit area, maybe check out Emporium. Dinner at Kinaree. Then head to Suan Lum Night Bazaar.

Thu: Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun; head to Coconut Palm for a late lunch. Then get a Thai massage somewhere? Go for Boo Pat Pong (curry crab) dinner (any recommendations to where?) then head to Sky Bar or Vertigo for drinks (Or should I do the Suan Lum Night Bazaar on this night instead?)

Fri: Visit Jim Thompson House and have lunch there. Then go to Central World Plaza for shopping then head to the airport for our 7 pm flight

Your input is appreciated!!
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM

When you go to Suun Lum, make sure you take some time and go to the Joe Louis Puppet Theater. This is a great show. You can buy tickets at the door.

I might put a Klong tour somewhere in there. It's good after spending the morning at the Grand Palace etc.

Also, if you can squeeze in a visit to the Flower market and Chinatown, they are both worth a visit.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM

As for Emporium Mall, it's a nice mall, but I wouldn't make a special trip to it except at Christmas time when the outdoor and indoor decorations are beautiful. When in Bangkok, I live in the Emporium Suites serviced apartment building which is attached to the mall so I'm in it everyday.
If I were you, I'd go to Paragon Mall at the Siam BTS skytrain stop. It just opened a couple of years ago and is quite interestng. There's even a huge aquarium at the basement level that's very nice and even has glass-bottom boats that you can take to check out the fish. The level above the basement level is all food places-quite incredible. Check out the fantastic supermarket on that level. And then all of the other floors are divided into clothing, housewares, electronics, movie theater, etc...even car dealerships.
Basically the stores that are in Emporium are in Paragon with a heck of a lot more stores in Paragon. Happy Travels!

As for Central World Plaza Mall, it's quite nice since it's been remodeled. I remember the old place, so now it totally doesn't resemble the old place anymore. The malls are mostly next to each other and can be walked to by way of the skytrain walkway. When you walk from one to the other, you sometimes have to insert a skytrain ticket into the turnstile machine to get access to keep walking the length of the skywalk. It's quite cheap and a lot easier than walking down the stairs and then using the sidewalk as the skyway walkway has access ramps that lead right into the malls. Plus it's covered to protect against intense sun and rain.
As for crafts, the Naryaphand store sells crafts from all over Thailand and has been relocated inside the Intercontinental Hotel which is next to Gaysorn Mall which is across from Central World Plaza...all on the same side of the street. Naryaphand has everything under one roof if you're in a hurry to find crafts, etc.

All of this is on the Nancy Chandler map if you have one. nancychandler.net. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Other than crafts, what are you shopping for? In general I don't find much of interest to me at the malls, with the exception of some specific crafts stores and some arts and "antiques" shops. But I don't go to Bangkok to buy Western goods, though some people do.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM

I would suggest the Sofitel Sukhumvit for your hotel. It is really nice. Location is close to the Nana skytrain station (maybe 5 or 6 minute walk depending upon which route you take to get there). I stayed there, so have first hand experience. I am staying very close to Sofitel right now. I see it clearly out my livingroom and bedroom windows from my apartment at the Adelphi Suites on Sukhumvit soi 8. I have not stayed at Pullman so have no input.

I am in Bangkok right now, and while I have driven past Suan Lum Night Bazaar in the daytime, I've not been at night. I know that it is in the process of closing down. I'm not sure of the up-to-the-minute situation there. As far as I can tell, it is still in business, but maybe not as good a night bazaar as it was a couple of years ago.

Central World is a nice mall. It is more western style. Paragon is also very nice. It depends upon what you want to buy! Please let us know what that might be, and then we can recommend shopping venues. If you want a "market" experience, you should go to MBK mall, at National Stadium skytrain station. There, you will experience bargaining with the vendors. There are small shops that sell all sorts of items from clothing to copy bags, cell phones to unusual food items. MBK is always an interesting Thai experience in shopping.

Enjoy your trip!

Carol

Old Aug 30th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Gpanda - Joe Louis Puppet Theater is a great idea....I was told that I should try to visit a night market in BKK to feel the culture. Is Suan Lum a good choice? What about Patpong?

Thanks for the shopping mall info... Guenmai - thanks for the info on Naryaphand. We are hoping to get crafts for home decor and souvenior. With our schedule, we probably don't have time to travel everywhere to shop for them.

Carol - I don't have anything particular in mind for shopping, probably clothings? (Also, want to check out the food courts!) Can I expect shopping like Macy's and Nordstrom in BKK but cheaper in price? I think we're going with Sofitel - they have a promotion for 2600 THB per night (w/o breakfast).

An additional questions:

If we want to go for foot massage or Thai massage - can we just go in anyone we pass by or is there some better than the others? It'd be great if anyone has recommendations and let me know whereabouts.

By the way, I am going to order my Nancy Chandler map now!!

Old Aug 31st, 2008, 02:14 AM

Suun Lum is better than Patpong.

One thing to keep in mind is that BKK has so many wonderful sights and activities that you can't possibly do them all in one trip. Just make some "educated" guesses and enjoy your time there.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:16 PM

I passed by Suan Lum Night Bazaar in a taxi last night. Seems to still be going strong. There have been rumours over the past couple of years that it is closing down SOON. Judging from the activity last night, you should be just fine in October! And yes, Suan Lum is better than Patpong IMO.

Have fun.

Carol
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:52 PM

You could have a thai massage at the massage school at Wat Pho - maybe have it before lunch then go to Coconut Palm and then go to see Wat Arun and take a klong tour in the afternoon. I wouldn't have a thai massage too soon after lunch - you can be put into some positions that compress your stomach, not good if full!! Foot massage after lunch would be okay - and you can get that at Wat Pho as well. If you fancy something a bit more of a spa experience, I have always had fantastic massages at Healthlands on Sathorn rd but they have a few through the city. www.healthlandspa.com
BB
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:52 AM

Sayko,
One thing is certain: Carol knows her BKK shopping. Take her advice.

On that point she had once directed me to the top floor of the Paragon Mall for Thai handicrafts. The prices might have been a bit more than I might have found in some other spots but the selection was great, the items were all well made and it was a terrific venue for one stop purchases. The food courts at the ground floor of Paragon were also fantastic.

For some simple items we found some good stuff at the Night Market. Very nice silk scarves for a couple of dollars each that made great presents. Have fun in BKK.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 05:26 AM

Hi

Where is the Moon bar located? I have been to Vertigo and the Sky bar on Lebua but not the moon bar. If you love wine by the way I would like to recommend V9 at Sofitel hotel on Silom. It is indoors but the view is still great from the 30th or so floor and the wine is remarkably affordable in a Thai perspective.
Apart from that: feel free to check out my Bangkok trip report with pictures, links and map from last year: http://gardkarlsen.com/Bangkok_trip_report_2007.htm . Bangkok is one of my favourite cities in this world Have a great trip...get in touch if you have any questions.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Gard,
Sorry for the late reply.
Vertigo Grill & Moon Bar is at the 61st Floor of Banyan Tree hotel in Bangkok.

k.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM

You are making a mistake if you pass up on MBK shopping mall(and its eatery on the 5th floor). It is one of the coolest things to do in Bangkok. Siam Square is good too.

You may want to skip the Jim Thompson house unless you are a geezer or enjoy tourist traps.

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM

Mango, I have to laugh!

MBK one of the coolest things in Bangkok? Well, to each his own. Wandering though a shopping mall - any shopping mall - is not my idea of "one of the coolest things to do in Bangkok." Unless, of course, you are referring to the air conditioning.

I consider the Jim Thompson House a must-do. It's a great introduction to the traditional Thai aesthetic. There is a very moderate admission charge which includes a tour of the house with a docent. There is no pressure to buy souveniers or gee-gaws... indeed, I don't believe they sell gee-gaws... in my book, the Jim Thompson House in no way qualifies as a tourist trap. But if you aren't interested in aesthetics or culture, I expect it wouldn't appeal.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 04:40 AM

Wow the food hall of a mid level mall being classified as one of the coolest thing in Thailand!
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 07:58 AM

I'm one who detests MBK and only go there if I absolutely have to like on the last Dec/Jan trip when I went to purchase a cell phone. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Well, if you keep in mind that Sayko is relatively young and that you can find almost anything at MBK, plus the eatery there is the best (Better than Paragon) and more authentic than many Thai restaurants. I am there (& Siam Sq)nearly every day that I'm in BKK. I get some amazingly nice shirts there and jeans as well. I am past all the touristy things already. I go to BKK for the food, the shopping, and drinks at night at the upscale lounges/bars. I find that many older tourists will not appreciate MBK for sure since everything needs to be in a "controlled " sterile mass-tourist-approved environment. They'd rather sit, for example, in a touristy "Thai" restaurant savoring how heavenly it is to eat "authentic" Thai food that in essence is nothing more than Chinese food! Many of you rarely experience real Thai dishes when in Thailand, as a matter of fact.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Mango, again, to each his own.

I do find that you make lots of assumptions about the regulars here. You might want to stop and ask questions if you are curious or simply stop making assumptions if you are not curious.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM

My assumptions are based on what most people post here, Kathie. Granted were all tourists here, most are of the garden variety and very few are of the type that go off the tourist-beaten path. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but at the same time when people laugh at my suggestions they are indirectly/directly criticizing my choices, which are not mainstream.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 06:10 PM

The last time I look MBK is full of tourists! The food hall there does not have anything unique and you can find those very same mini restaurant kiosks at every mall in Bangkok.

For a first time visitor like Sayko I would not spend the time at MBK and instead learn more about the country's culture and heritage. Jim Thompson's house, and the tour, offer a chance for a visitor to see what the traditional Thai houses looks like. There are other such houses like the Pramote's house and a few others but not open to the public and they are getting quite rare.

As Kathie said, to each his own!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -