herbal supplements

Oct 8th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

herbal supplements

Hi everyone,

We're planning a trip to Thailand next spring. My husband takes various herbal supplements to treat colitis. We will be bringing these with us, along with a prescription letter from his ayuverdic practitioner. Some of these supplements are in pill forms, but one in particular is a large jar of white powdery substance. I am concerned that customs will think we're smuggling drugs, even with the doctor's note! I would not be as concerned if these were actual prescription medicines because then you would have the pharmacy info on the bottles. But the stuff my husband takes are just store bought supplements, the ingredients are listed on the bottles. We had even emailed the Thai embassy to find out, but we didn't get a reply. Am I being paranoid? On the other hand, you keep hearing about people being thrown in jail for no apparent reason these days because of paranoia. Any advice?
Oct 8th, 2003, 11:12 AM

I personally would not want to take a jar of white powdery substance on a plane to anywhere, much less to a foreign country. Have you checked to see whether you can just buy some when you get there and then leave whatever is unused behind when you leave?
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm Richard, good point. Oh no, does that mean our travelling days are over??!! Unfortunately, I don't think these are supplements we can obtain overseas, we have a tough enough time finding them here at home. PLEASE, somebody help.
Oct 8th, 2003, 03:04 PM

These are not supplements you can purchase at GNC? Because Bangkok has scores of them.
Ive taken walks in chinatown in Bangkok and seen shops selling every herb you can think of. You may want to send someone to get them for you (perhaps a hotel concierge or tour guide) because chinatown can be overwhelmingly crowded and noisy.

Search this Thread