Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hepatitis A vaccine recommended for Beijing and Shanghai?

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I will be traveling to beijing and shanghai later on this month and was wondering if everyone got their Hep A vaccine ahead of going to these cities? I know it's recommended but I don't think I'll have enough time to get this so was wondering if you think it's ok to not have this vaccine before going to these cities. Thanks!!!!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I would get it. Generally, it takes about two weeks before the vaccine is effective, so even if you're not fully protected during the first few days of the trip, you will be after that. Remember, the first vaccine is good for about 2 or 3 years, but if you get the booster 6 months to one year after the first shot, you will be protected for 10 years. It's also important to remember that no vaccine is 100% effective.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you laurieco! Has anyone not had their Hep A shot before going to Shanghai/Beijing? Thanks
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:56 PM

sf:
Got to agree with Laurie on this. Get the shot. Why take a chance? Hepatitis is no laughing matter.
Aloha!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 04:00 PM

Yes, go for the shot and the follow up booster. Even if you don't really need it for your trip, it's not a bad thing to have. You can contact Hep A without even leaving town, so it's just a good all around safe guard.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM
mjs

I would get this vaccine even if you do not travel.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 07:11 AM

There are new versions of the vaccine out that do not contain thimerol in case part of your hesitation is due to the threat of mercury poisoning. The down side to the "thimerol free" vaccines is that you can't have hep a & b together as a combo-have to do them separately.

Speak to a medical professional or check out this website to find a travel Dr. near you.
http://www.passporthealthusa.com/

Why take the chance on ruining a fabulous trip?
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Everyone should have the Hep A vaccine whether or not they travel. The vaccine is good for at least 10 years. If you won't have enough time to develop immunity before your trip, the other option is a gamma globulin shot which will give you some immediate immunity. However, it's only good for a few months. You would still be wise to get the two Hep A vaccine shots later.