Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Helping friends find a Thai beach area for 4-6 weeks in Feb/Mar 2008 - suggestions?

Helping friends find a Thai beach area for 4-6 weeks in Feb/Mar 2008 - suggestions?

Sep 6th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Friends of ours usually go to a small town in Mexico for 8 weeks in winter but they are very interested in going to Thailand next year - does anybody have any suggestions for appropriate towns/accommodation.

They don't need to stay right on the water - would like a nice two bedroom apartment with a pool and walking access to shopping - a nearby golf course would be a bonus but not necessary.

They usually pay about $1500/month in Mexico for a 2/3 bedroom apartment - is that price doable in Thailand?

Thanks for any help
Sep 6th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Yes it is just about within that range, US$ is about THB 51,000, that should get them a very nice condo in Jomtien.

However, Feb/Mar is still busy, long-stay winter vacation rentals have become very big business and increasingly popular but they probably need to think about those resort areas where there are plenty of 'reasonable/inexpensive' condominium blocks.

Jomtien Beach area comes to mind as they are plenty of condos around, THB 40,000 that time of year but they should be able to get a nice condo with large pool and other facilities. Jomtien is about 90 minutes by expressway south east from Bangkok and for 'long stay' it has those ammenities long stayers need such as supermarkets/malls, cheap local transport etc. It is about 10/15 mins south of Pattaya which is a large lively beach city, but you need not even venture there from Jomtien. It is also covenient if they want to visit Bangkok or if they want to venture to other areas as it is easy to get to Bangkok Airport if they want to go elesewhere for a few days. There are also beaches and islands to the south.
Jomtien has an abundance of condos that is why I suggest, together with the ease of Bangkok ( air con buses are cheap or they can cab if they wish ).
If they want a condo, sun, access to beach, shoping etc for a 'long stay' it could be what they are after.

Hua Hin south of Bangkok has condos but in my experience they are just way more expensive than Jomtien beach.

If they headed to places like Phuket they would be very hard pushed to find that apartment/condo style and I very much doubt within that price range. They are catering to the tourist hotel/resort stayer and when there is rental accommodation it tends in high season to be expensive.
I will check a few local places and give you some tips.
For a 2 month stay they can either get a 2 month tourist visa, or, leave within 30 days for a side trip to another country and then return for another 30 days, that does not need a visa pressuming US passort holders.

Others will tell you about getting a tourist visa in the US and how to go about it.

Bob knows Jomtien so I hope he will add his opinion, but for a 2 month vacation condo stay within that price, feels about right. Golf Courses - plenty in the area, note that green fees much cheaper weekdays, but you might be able to sort some temporary membership deal.

Sep 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Here are some pics to give ideas of condos in the area:

http://www.fairproperties.com/photos/CR2756-big.jpg

This shows view from 1 that is about $ 1,300 a month :

http://www.fairproperties.com/photos/CR2722-big-9.jpg

This one is is about thier range, gives an idea what to expect:
http://www.fairproperties.com/photos/CR2718-big-11.jpg

http://www.fairproperties.com/photos/CR2718-big.jpg

http://www.fairproperties.com/photos/CR2718-big-2.jpg

There are also serviced apartments and some boutique places give long stay deals which would be well within their price range, but I know that people who like their own condo weant 'exactly that' as opposed so an almost hotel place.

If they wanted to check Phuket they may find within that range but that will be more serviced apartment hotels, most rentals people want 6 months plus, however if they were interested in Phuket they can email Wleta in Phuket from this website and ask her what she could offer:

http://www.houseinphuket.com/

For Jomtien area:

http://www.fairproperties.com/

At least that will give them a starting point.
Sep 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM

For Hua Hin ( 2.5 hours south of Bangkok ):

http://www.huahinpropertycentre.com/...aleorRent=Rent

Actualy they are not as excpensive as I thought, but they might be low season rates.
Hua Hin is quieter than Jomtien and although 2.5 hours from Bangkok by taxi or 3 hrs 15 by bus ( 4 hrs by train ) it might also suit them, far more Thai and also has Golf courses, again you can contact and ask for ideas of prices for that time of year. Hua Hin is closer to rural areas, does have a new large shopping mall and some superb restaurants.

I see now it is $1,500 a month, that is well easy, I thought was for the 6 weeks or 2 months, the advantage of being at beaches within reach of bangkok is they can take some side trips, perhaps to see Angkor Wat, perhaps a few days in hiang Mai in the North, or even to spend a few nights in Bangkok.
Eating out is cheap everywhere, and honestly can be a lot cheaper than eating at home ! Both have large malls, bakeries etc.

Sep 6th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Hua Hin idea:

There are vacation rental cottages in Hua Hin near the beach that are well within their price range for a good place with private spa pool etc, these are cottage/small house rentals, some with 2 bedrooms, we often stay in such places when we go down and I know they do long stay rentals, that might be nice if they want a garden in a quiet area, but there would be no large pool or condo facilities, if you think they might be interested let me know and I will give you the details, they would go I guess per month from around $1,000 to $1,400.
Sep 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM

jontiem would be fabulous...thinking about doing the same for myself...

plenty of services around that area also...

koh samui is also a nice destination but less service and more expense with flights etc...
Sep 6th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

JamesA - thanks so much for all your info - it's terrific. I think they would be interested in small vacation rental you describe in Hua Hin for $1000-$1400 - they're not looking for a big tall condo I don't think - would probably prefer a small low rise development - a pool would be the only amenity necessary. If you could post a link that would be great.

Sep 6th, 2007, 11:41 AM

The cottages I know if Hua Hin don't have a pool.
To get a large pool you really need a condo, there are condos in Hua Hin but not nearly so many, is a great place which we like very much but for long term I think it fair that Jomtien Beach has the edge when it comes to facilities and shopping, and although not really wanting to mention it also has 2 'excellent' International Hospitals and excellent dentists, if you are staying a while such things should also be considored, and Jomtien having all those facilities and also so close to Bangkok does make it a very popular place for long stay over the Winter time.

Bob and others from the US can give you US / Mexico comparisons, but overall it is 'condo beach' if that makes any sense.

Can you tell us where they vacation when in Mexico ? Do they go to Cancun type places or are the into quite Mexican places, that will help those who know those plus Thailand to help with comparisons howver vague they may be will help give you a general idea.
Sep 6th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

They go to quiet Mexican places - I think the town is called Santiago (on the Pacific side).....I'm going to send my friend this link and she can post
Sep 7th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

ttt - for any new comments........thx