Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

travelchinaguide.com wants cash wire payment. is this safe and standard?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2013, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We planned a trip with travelchinaguide.com and they seem professional and have been very responsive by email and by phone when we have a question. The tour they offer meets all our needs and at a decent price. SO I have been to my bank twice who have talked me out of wiring money to them. The thing is if I use my credit card they claim bank of china adds a hefty fee. Has anyone heard of this and is it safe to wire money to China? They offer the incentive of a discount if I get my payment in 90 days in advance, please help if you have any experience with these issues
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 10:00 PM

There are times and places where it is standard to wire money to an agency. For instance, in Burma, they have not been able to accept credit cards, so they do ask for a wire transfer deposit.

This is obviously not the case in China. How much is the hefty fee? A fee of 2-3% is pretty standard. And your credit card will add another 3% for foreign exchange.

I don't know this company except to say that they spam this board periodically. I would not be talked into wiring money if I wasn't comfortable with it. Putting it on your credit card does give you some recourse if they do not deliver as promised.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 10:02 PM

Where are you traveling from or what country are you from annedow?
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie - The fee from bank of China is 3% however my discover or capitol 1 do not charge any forign transaction fees. Its almost $5000 for the land only part which would then be $150 extra versus a $25 bank wire charge.
Hanuman we live in Florida and are also planning to visit our son in Seoul after China leg and have not even started planning this leg yet. So any tips on things to do and not miss in Seoul?We will be in S Korea for 8 nights.
He also wants to wisit the Gangwondu region...any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 06:10 AM

if i had any question in my mind i would absorb the 3%.

i have often sent money to asian carriers but never in china.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 06:45 AM

I would be bored with 8 days in Seoul but it sounds like your son is station there? If that's the case then I would consider going to other towns like Busan etc while you are there.

Don't forget that winters are cold and summers are very humid and hot!
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 04:29 PM
kja

Are you fully committed to taking a tour while in China? Many of us have had great success traveling there independently.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

We have traveled independently all over Europe, central & south America...I speak a little Spanish and Italian but we are very intimadated trying to visit China as we do not speak understand or read the language. We felt a tour is our best option. As far as Korea our son has lived there for almost 2 years teaching. He has traveled around and thinks we will enjoy a couple nights in Seoul and then wants to explore Gangwondu region. Does anyone know anything about this area?
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 05:25 AM

There is certainly no need to speak a single word of mandarin to visit places like Beijing and Shanghai.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 03:57 PM

> we are very intimadated trying to visit China as we do not speak understand or read the language.

It's a great shame that so many who would usually travel independently approach China in this way. But then for decades the Chinese tourism industry has been dedicated to stressing the language and cultural barriers in order to sell services at absurdly high prices, and often with large numbers of hidden extra costs. Independent travel in China is significantly cheaper.

In fact China without Mandarin is little more intimidating to get yourself around than France without French. Tours merely offer the convenience of not have to think, but at a price.