Help with Thailand Itinerary

Aug 13th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Help with Thailand Itinerary

Hello,

I am going to thailand in November.

This is my preliminary itinerary.

Sunday and Monday Bangkock.
Tuesday - Wed- ayutthaya and kanchanaburi. we are trying to decide if we should do these as day trips, or stay in one overnight and skip the other. we would come back to bangkock to fly to the next destination (dont really want to take a long train ride up north.
thurs-mon Chiang Mai
tues- wed Chiang Rai
thurs- sunday islands.

Also- we want to do a trek. right now my itinerary is built to do this in Chiang Mai- but if the trekking is better in Chiang Rai we would want to move some days around so if anyone has an thoughts please let me know!

Im not a huge beach person which is why the island time is so limited, i want to see but dont want to spend a lot of time there.

I know this seems very busy but this is how i like to travel

Any feedback is appreciated!
Aug 13th, 2015, 11:27 AM

Bangkok has a lot to see and do. IMO, two days isn't really enough. Choose one day trip, depending on your interests: WWII history, choose Kanchanaburi, Buddhist ruins, choose Ayutthaya. While you could spend an overnight in either place, you need to balance this against how much total time you have.

When you say you want to do a trek, what are you thinking of? If you want to visit hill tribes, be aware that any place that is close enough to walk in and out in a day will be very touristy. If you want to have more of an experience of a hill tribe group, you would need to overnight. Chiang Rai is a better area to trek than Chiang Mai.

For beach time, you will likely want to go somewhere in the Phuket area (which includes Koh PhiPhi, Ko Lanta, Khoa Lak, etc.

You haven't really allowed for travel time. Even flights take time, as you have to get to the airport early for your flight and transport to/from the airport takes time. Also, flights out of Chiang Rai all go through Bangkok, so you'll have to change planes to get to a beach location.

You might consider making your itinerary simpler and cutting either CM or CR, thus reducing travel time. You have to slow down and spend some time in a place to get any sense of SE Asia.
Aug 13th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Kathie for your feedback. We definitely want to do an overnight trek- we just werent sure which city would be better to do this from.
Aug 13th, 2015, 03:35 PM

Ayuthaya - can be done as a day trip by bus.
Kanchanaburi - can be done as a long-ish day trip from Bangkok via train or bus. about 3-4 hour trip each way.

Search this Thread