Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

help with my thailand intinerary - bangkok (4 days) & phuket (5 days)

Sep 6th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

hi everyone! i will be going to bangkok and phuket for 9 full days in november (9th - 18th). please help me finalize my itinerary. any suggestions and/or tips would be very helpful! i still need some restaurant recommendations.

B A N G K O K

9th:
* ARRIVE in bkk @ 5:00pm
* CHECK-IN @ best western swana
* EXPLORE khaosan road??
* DINNER: at the hotel??

10th (day one) : temples & historical bangkok
* SIGHTS: grand palace package (wat phra kaeo, vimanek mansion, dusit throne hall), wat pho, wat mahathat, wat saket, wat arun, wat traimit, democracy monument, city pillar shrine
* LUNCH: chotre chitre
* DINNER: ????????????

11th (day two): city of bangkok tour
* SIGHTS: chatuchak market (early morning), boat tour of chao phrya river, jim thompson's house, siam square (mbk), silom road, national museum, royal barges museum
* LUNCH: ??????????????
* DINNER & DRINKS: Sirocco/Sky Bar

12th (day three):
* SIGHTS: day trip to ayutthaya
(can i fit anymore on this day?)
* DINNER: ?????????????

13th (day four):
* SIGHTS: floating market, tiger temple
* DINNER: ?????????????

((((( Please let me know if I am missing any must-see sights in BKK )))))

P H U K E T

14th (day five): surin beach & spa day
* ARRIVE: 8:25 AM in phuket
* CHECK-IN: twinpalms phuket hotel
* EXPLORE: hotel, surin beach, catch beach club, and surrounding area
* get a spa package

15th (day six): koh phi phi excursion
* SIGHTS: maya beach, monkey beach
* DINNER: pan yaah????
(((( please let me know what the best way to do this excursion... tour? or alone? ))))

16th (day seven): phang nga bay
* HONGS BY STARLIGHT EXCURSION

17th (day eight): surin beach and another beach??
* which beach should i check out? patong, karon? kata?

18th (day nine): elephant trekking, ton sai
* SIAM SAFARI... how do i book this? should i book now or when i get there?
* TON SAI BAY/WATERFALLS
* DINNER: lotus restaurant

Sep 6th, 2007, 05:58 PM

i have recovered now....you don't need to call the ambulance....WOW, you must be super-person....

you are way way over-booked imo....

the 10th is impossible to do unless by helicopter...

the 11th you could do without the weekend market---that alone is at least 1/2 day

you have not allowed any time for adjustment to the heat and humidity of bkk....it takes at least one day...

i would cut out the day trip to Ayutt....use that day for bkk things

how are you getting to the tiger temple and floating market....that is a long day

if you want my restaurant listing ask at: [email protected]

phi phi is a full day in itself
Sep 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM

I absolutely agree. Slow down! And don't schedule every moment.

Some of the things on your list strike me as odd... why would you want to explore KSR?

You have two of your Bangkok days out of town. Cut one of those two day trips.

On Phuket, you have no time to relax. Our resident PhiPhi expert recommends against a day trip to PhiPhi. Cut at least one day trip. Relax and enjoy the beach a bit.
Sep 6th, 2007, 06:30 PM

I agree also.In bangkok you will be lucky to do 30% of what you have down. It's why I think people need to spend at least 6-8 days in bangkok. Phuket to me is a waste of time -- went there once and never went back so can't talk about it. But if I were you I would spend either all of your time in bangkok or divide it up 6-7 days in bangkok and 2-3 days in phuket.
Sep 6th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

ok maybe i should just wait for my nancy chandler map to see what is actually feasible!!

i didn't think it would be so difficult to get around bkk!!!
Sep 6th, 2007, 07:06 PM

For a first time to Thailand I think 4 days in Bangkok and 5 in Phuket isn't a bad mix.

It's very easy for people who love Bangkok to suggest spending 8 days there but If you haven't been to Bangkok before to suggest spending 8 days is very risky IMO. Not everyone takes to the city. Many people on this forum go back to Bangkok several times a year. We've been there 8 times over the last 15 years or so- but after 4 days or so we're always ready to move on

Bangkok - a lot of tour operators do 2 half day trips, one to a collection of the top Wats another to the Grand Palace. Combining the 2 on one day is possible I suppose but it will make for a tiring day.

Similarly, I'm aware of tour operators bunching Jim Thompson's house and the Vimanek Mansion together for a half day trip. Both worth a visit, but maybe not IMO on the first occaision.

The trip to Ayutthaya is a day trip. A lot of tour operators do a coach trip there and boat trip back. Nice trip but if you've seen a lot of temples in Bangkok, you might get temple overload.

As for Phuket - it depends how much relaxing you want to do. In the time you have I'd personally pick Phi Phi or Phang Nga Bay, and not both. Both these are full day trips.

I also noticed you've picked the Lotus restaurant. If thats the one in Bang Tao bay that may be quite a distance from where you are.
Sep 7th, 2007, 04:47 AM

I have to put in my 2 cents, mostly in agreement with others. The heat and humidity of Thailand is going to knock you off your feet until you get used to it. Give yourself time to just relax!! Don't forget that you will also probably have jet lag!

I would consider a split in your Bangkok time, 2 to 3 days at the beginning, and 2 days at the end, with the rest of the time on Phuket. Walter is right, that you might not fall in love with Bangkok the way many of us on this forum have. IMO it is a magical city with some of the most polite and friendly people anywhere. Yes, there are some who would "take you for a ride" in their taxi, or try to get you to go to a tailor or jeweler "on the way" to your watt or hotel. It's too bad it happens, but it does. Most of the Thai people want to be helpful!

I am not familiar with your Best Western Swana, but I hope it is located near a skytrain station, as that is the best way to navigate the central parts of Bangkok.

I've been to Phuket 4 times in my 11 trips to Thailand, and I always enjoy my visit. I usually stay about 3 nights. I like the Kata Beach area. There is enough to do, and most of it is within walking distance.

S-l-o-w d-o-w-n a bit, and enjoy yourself!

Carol
Sep 7th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Split your BKK time, front and back. Also, make sure your hotel is near a skytrain station. It will prove enormously helpful. Don't try to do everything on your list. I agree Phi Phi Islands or Kayak, not both.
Sep 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM

i don't think the map will help you the way it is laid out....it is not that great for planning, imo....it is good for local resources in certain areas rather than an over all plan...it is broken into areas of interest...and it is not to scale...
Sep 7th, 2007, 10:29 PM

If you top and tail your holiday at Bangkok will you not spend more time at the airport and travelling to and from it?
Sep 8th, 2007, 05:07 AM

Walter, your question is a good one. For me, personally, the point of beginning and ending a trip in Bangkok would be so that I could finish up last minute shopping or tailoring. That "last night in Bangkok" is special when I can go to the top of Sky Bar for that final view of the city, and have dinner at Tawandang or The Bed or another favorite restaurant. Makes a lovely ending to a vacation, IMO.

Carol
Sep 8th, 2007, 06:12 AM

I also love dividing my time in bangkok between beginning and end of trip -- for much the same reason as Carol. I do last fittings for clothes and have a final special dinner at an old favorite. usually for me it's China House.