Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Help with Malaysia itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/help-with-malaysia-itinerary-1012282/)

kmafamily Apr 22nd, 2014 08:52 PM

Help with Malaysia itinerary

We are traveling to Taipei and Malaysia for two weeks and want to spend 2 days of our trip in Singapore. We are departing from Los Angeles to Taipei in December and want to stay in Taipei for 5 days. From there to Singapore for 21/2 days and then onto Malaysia to spend 7 days. (open to flying into cities in Malaysia other than KL) Flying from KL to Taipei to return to CA.

In researching Malaysia I was wondering if 7 days is enough and whether to skip Singapore. I think we would like to spend time in KL, Penang, Langkawi, Cameron HIghlands, Malaca. Would 7 days be enough?

Any suggestions on the sequence of cities would be appreciated so as not to backtrack. We would fly whenever possible to save travel time.

MmePerdu Apr 22nd, 2014 09:49 PM

I'm not familiar with Langkawi but have been to the rest of the Malaysian stops and Singapore.

I prefer Singapore to KL, Singapore is more cosmopolitan and walkable than KL, aspects I like very much about the city.

I much prefer Penang to Malacca, much more to do. Not that I dislike Malacca, but Penang is an infinitely more vibrant and diverse place, Malacca fairly dull in comparison.

And I enjoyed the Cameron Highlands very much. I suggest you combine Singapore with Penang and the Cameron Highlands. A hired taxi is the way I went from Penang to the CH and it worked nicely.

I'll let others comment on the possibility of including Langkawi.

Craig Apr 23rd, 2014 02:02 AM

7 days is not a lot of time for Malaysia. We did Kuching, Langkawi & Penang over 9-1/2 days. We also had 2-1/2 days in Singapore, which was not enough. You need to take into account the time it takes to get from place to place, which you will most likely do by air and will consume a good part of your day. I would not cut out Singapore as there is lots to do. I would also recommend Penang, and especially Georgetown. Kuching, while interesting is on Borneo and is not on your list anyway. We enjoyed our stay on Langkawi, but it is not what I'd call a must do, unless you are looking for a small scenic island on which to kick back and relax. I'll let others comment on your remaining destinations.

Kathie Apr 23rd, 2014 05:24 AM

Seven days in Malaysia not enough for the 5 places you've named. You need to cut stops and/or add days. If you can fly into KL from Taipei rather than going to Singapore first, that would help. Or cut KL in favor of Singapore. A couple of days is enough for KL, I'd cut Malacca, spending more time in the Georgetown area of Penang. If beach time is a must, then you will want to leave in Langkawi. Note that Langkawi is just beach, really nothing else there. Craig mentions Kuching, which is a charming city, but a longer flight as it's on the island of Borneo, not in peninsular Malaysia. I haven't been to the Cameron Highlands, so can't comment.

I'd say you need a minimum of three nights (four would be better) for Penang, 3 nights would be enough for KL. Then figure out how much beach time you want and how much tim in the Cameron Highlands. Remember that three nights is just two days to expire a place. As you can see, just two locations will take up all of your time in Malaysia.

withluck Apr 25th, 2014 03:58 AM

I shall skip some questions that other readers had been answered.

Penang is mixed of historical and modern city. In the heart of George Town, you can experience three UNESCO heritage values, living cultures, colonial buildings and living trading port which are awarded together with Malacca. For nature lover, Penang has a few things to offer from the world smallest national park to turtle conservation centre. Hiking is available in various places in Penang island and offer different activities for the hikers. If you come to Malaysia for food then you must not miss out Penang island where is many tourists consider it as food heaven. Reasonable and delicious seafood is available in Bukit Tambun near to Penang second bridge.

For Langkawi, it has very attraction Geopark and mangrove swamp cruise activity. If you are not a nature lover or wine/beer drinker then Langkawi may not be much meaningful to you.

For Cameron Highlands, the local guests like to visit the place for the cold temperature at night and tea plantation. Fresh strawberries are available. In additional, herbalists love to Cameron Highlands to hunt herbs where cannot find in low land.

For Malacca, it is another historical city started in 15th century. Colonial buildings and culture are the main attraction.

My last words to you, you should create your own itinerary base on your personal interests if you are not booking a tour with a travel agency. With your own itinerary, you will have a meaningful and wonderful trip in Malaysia.

A Malaysian Licensed Tourist Guide