Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Help with Krabi (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/help-with-krabi-562402/)

brj8826 Oct 4th, 2005 05:30 AM

Help with Krabi

Well, it looks like the couple that was going with us to Bali is backing out. I can't blame them because this would have been their first international trip and they are receiving alot of family pressure.

My wife and I are still going to Bali, just going to stay a week instead of two then hop over to Krabi with them.

I thought bringing them to Krabi would be the best because it was one of the most scenic places I have ever been. I want to give them something they can't get on a normal Caribbean vacation.

What do you guys think?

I booked a couple of rooms at the Cliff of Ao Nang. Last time we went was for our honeymoon and we stayed at the Rayavadee, so I have no idea what the accomodations in the area are like. My understanding is that there aren't any places directly on the beach that are worth a darn. I assume we can just catch a longtail to any beach, which from the map should be a few minutes away from Ao Nang. It also looks like there is a ferry that picks up directly at Ao Nang for trips to Phi Phi.

Can anyone comment on the Cliff of Ao Nang resort?

Last question, did Bangkok Air quit serving Krabi? Is the only carrier that flys there now Thai Air? Tickets are around $125 US roundtrip from BKK. Can I get them cheaper going through a Thai travel agent?

Thanks!

brj8826 Oct 4th, 2005 05:36 AM

One last question, nightlife. We are not big party animals, but we like the option of grabbing a beer or two in the evenings. What are the nightlife options like around Ao Nang. I seem to remember a few things going on at Railay after dark, but would need to access by longtail. I think they still operate that late.

muzaway Oct 4th, 2005 07:23 AM

Railey is sedate enough at night as far as I recall. Can't comment on the Cliff @ ao nang.

There are some places in Railey where you can get comfortable bungalows very near the beach, though I am not sure of their status following the Tsunami.

muzaway Oct 6th, 2005 12:51 AM

There is a podcast on lonelyplanet.com about southern Thailand since the tsunami which may be of interest. Seems that it is all go for Krabi and Phi Phi etc.

JamesA Oct 6th, 2005 02:26 AM

Damage was not too bad in the Karbi area, Phi Phi suffered more due to being 'low' and unprotected beach areas, however that is long past and although some parts of Phi Phi still hbeing sorted Krabi area is fine.

Thai is only one at the moment to Krabi.

You have to watch carefully which hotels are on or near beaches and which are not. From Railey beach you have to go by boat to/from other places.

If you were looking at the Cliff I can guess your rough budget, also have a look at the Phukey Beach Resort, for lots of photos and places sorted by beach:

www.r24.org/beachsiam.com/krabi/hotels/

If you are flying from Bali to get to Krabi instead of flying from bali to Bangkok and then Krabi what you 'could do' is fly Singapore Airlines Bali to SIN ( 2.5 hrs ) and then connect direct to Singapore Airlines's local subsidury 'Silk Air' for the 1 hr 30 flight to Phuket, from Phuket Airport to Krabi takes just over 2 hrs by car to your hotel/resort. You would be able to check thru straight Bali to Phuket.

Smeagol Oct 6th, 2005 04:40 AM

If you fly from Sin, Tiger airways flies direct to Krabi. I just switched my phuket flights (as we are staying in Krabi) and saved myself the 2.5 transfer (if that is any help to anyone)

Scotters Oct 6th, 2005 07:07 AM

Just a note that Tiger only flies sun/mon/wed/fri. Cost including additional fees vary from 18 - 66 US one way, depending on month/day of travel.

Lyndie Oct 6th, 2005 04:36 PM

Hi there. I think I posted a response to you on another post you made. Re hotels on the beach at Ao Nang-Ao Nang Villa is the best of the 5-6 hotels which are not actually beachfront but on the road facing the beach. You walk over the road to the beach. Maybe 10-20 metres. Check out www.sawadee.com for reviews and photos. You would be very hard to please if you did not like this hotel. The best beach in the vicinity was the Phra Nang near the Rayavadee. You get there by longtail to Phra Nang or longtail & walking from Railay East or West depending on if longtail will take you the longer route to Phra Nang. If you pay more they will probably take you direct there, It was glorious in Dec 2004 before the tsunami. There a heaps of shops, restaurants and bars in Ao Nang town. The only Cliff hotel I saw in Ao Nang was up a steep driveway opposite Somkiet Buri. It looked OK but as I said before, it's quite a walk to the beach. Good luck!