Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Help with itinerary please. First time to Thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/help-with-itinerary-please-first-time-to-thailand-1038164/)

mike7 Feb 19th, 2015 10:10 AM

Help with itinerary please. First time to Thailand

Hi Everyone!
I am looking for help in planning a trip to Thailand. The purpose of the trip is our honeymoon. We would like to spend a few days on the beach and a few days in a national park. We have researched several "tours" that were 3 days in Khao Suk or Khlong Phanom involved canoeing, hiking and sightseeing in the jungle. We are avid hikers and enjoy our time in the outdoors as much as we do the beach. Another thing we are strongly considering is touring Ankor Wat. Any help is greatly appreciated as we have both traveled a fair amount in Europe but neither of us have been to Asia. Here is a very rough draft of our itinerary as we are in the beginning stages of planning. Thank you in advance for your help!

Arrive in Bankok 12/24
12/25 sightseeing in BKK
12/26 fly to Siem Reap
12/27 tour Ankor Wat and late flight back to BKK
12/28 sightseeing in BKK
12/29 -1/3 beach, we were thinking maybe 2 nights in Phi Phi and 3 nights at JW Marriot phuket
1/3- 1/7 this is the time I need the most help with, we will probably end up doing one of the tours I mentioned.
1/7-1/9 We will probably be staying at the Anantara Riverside in BKK before flying home on the 9th.

Kathie Feb 19th, 2015 11:01 AM

Angkor is truly one of the wonders of the world. It takes three full days just to visit the major wats, if you are really interested in the temples, you would want more time. Get a copy of Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor: A Guide to Cambodia's Wondrous Temples to prepare and get a better idea of how much time you want to spend in Siem Reap. As you can see, you haven't given yourselves enough time for Angkor.

You also haven't given yourselves enough time for Bangkok. It's a marvelous city with so much to offer: glittering wats, delicious food, amazing shopping.

If you go to the beach before the new year, you will pay a lot more and will likely have a compulsory NYE "gala" - expensive and not necessarily what you had in mind. Push your beach time back a bit. I always recommend that people choose one beach area, as you will lose much of a day going from one to the other. You might consider the JW at Khoa Lak as an alternative.

If you add time to Siem Reap and to Bangkok, you really don't have time for one of the tours you mentioned. A day trip from Phuket that gets rave reviews is John Grey's Sea Canoes.

simpsonc510 Feb 19th, 2015 01:43 PM

J W Phuket is a great choice. I don't believe you will be pushed to attend a gala dinner at this property. A number of dinners are offered on New Years Eve, but it is up to you to attend or not. We will be at the Phuket Beach Club condos right next door to J W. We have attended the gala two years in a row, but have never ever been pressured to do so. We just really enjoy it!

Kathie Feb 19th, 2015 01:47 PM

Wherever you decide to stay, do ask about NYE. Carol, I wouldn't expect guests at the condos to be required, but many properties in Phuket do require one to pay for the gala whether they attend or not.

Carol, glad to see you posing, I hope you are feeling well. We leave for Kauai tomorrow!

mike7 Feb 20th, 2015 04:05 AM

Thank you for your help. I am going to research BKK for NYE and maybe change things around a little bit based on some of the suggestions! Other than the gala's any recommendations on NYE activities, places to be etc...

rhkkmk Feb 20th, 2015 05:54 AM

I would not go to the expense of Angkor for only one day..

you need holiday hotel res now as it is a very busy time.
good choices on the hotels you have made thus far.

JohnH Feb 20th, 2015 06:28 AM

Angkor is amazing and well worth seeing. Three days is not a requirement - you could get a great overview in 2 days. But one day is really not enough, and will be exhausting with all the traveling time.