Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Help with Itinerary/Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/help-with-itinerary-hotels-462865/)

Dot Jul 27th, 2004 11:54 AM

Help with Itinerary/Hotels

My husband and I are planning a 2-week trip to India in November. We will visit Delhi, Rajasthan, and Goa. (Yes, we know we are covering a lot, but that's the way we like it! Also, we want to spend 3 full days in Goa relaxing on the beach and 1 exploring architecture in Old Goa.) Any advice as to hotels, modification of days spent in each city in the following tentative itinerary would be most welcome!

Delhi -- 3 nights (arriving at 11 pm; probable daytrip to Agra to see Taj M)
fly to Jodhpur
Jodhpur -- 2 nights (Ajit Bhawan?)
drive towards Udaipur, overnight en route at
Rawla Narli or Deogarh Majal -- 1 night
drive to Udaipur, stopping at Jain temples at Ranakpur
Udaipur -- 2 nights (Shiv Niwas? Can't afford Lake Palace, Devi Garh...but we can have dinner there!)
fly to Goa
Goa -- 5 nights (Fort Aguada or Village? suggestions for on beach and nice -- near enough to night life-- Exotica seems too far?)
fly to Bombay
Bombay -- 1 night, plus return flight at 2 am next night

Should we stay two nights in Jodhpur? We're also considering staying at Rohet Garh... Any thoughts? Help!!

P.S. We are not going to Jaisalmer/Rathambore because we spent a week in the Namib desert and did safari recently.

Rocco -- you helped with our trip to SA/Namibia last year -- THANKS! And, you're helping again this year -- THANKS AGAIN!!

agtoau Jul 27th, 2004 12:35 PM

Regarding your stay in Goa -

Fort Aguada Beach Resort and the Holiday Village are part of a single Taj Resort and are situated cheek by jowl on the Sinquerim beach. A third (premium) component of this resort is The Hermitage. The Holiday village is composed of individual cottages and small villas in a setting designed to imitate a Goan village. These are ideal if you are travelling as a family with kids. The Fort Aguada complex features regular room accomodations. The Hermitage villas are situated on a nearby hilltop overlooking the sea and forms part of the Resort's premium luxury offering. The Taj complex is only about 10 mins drive from Panjim. This Taj complex built around 1975 was the first luxury beach resort in Goa (and perhaps in India).

You might also want to consider the Goa Marriott Resort in Panjim itself - it is a superb property with truly world-class service.

Taj Exotica is located on the relatively secluded south Goa coastline.

In Mumbai, you may want to try the newly opened Grand Hyatt (not the older Hyatt Regency).

Rajhelp50 Jul 28th, 2004 12:27 AM

You have allotted eight days for Delhi Agra and Rajasthan.

Here is an alternate route. Hire a car from Delhi and drive through

Day1 - Delhi (Park Hotel)
Day2 - Agra (Mansingh)
Day3 - Jaipur (Jasvilas)
Day4 - Deogarh
Day5 - Jodhpur (Inn Season)
Day6 - Rohetgarh
Day7 - Udaipur (Udai Kothi)
Day8 - Udaipur (Udai Kothi)

It should cost you around USD 800 to 900/- for car, hotels, and breakfast! That is for the two of you!

All the hotels I have recommended in Rajasthan are family run hotels.

Cicerone Jul 28th, 2004 04:44 AM

I think overall this looks good. A couple of comments and personal opinions:

1. Mumbai (Bombay) is not very interesting, IMO. I would not give more than a day to it, as you only have 2 weeks and you have much more interesting places on your itinerary to which you could add a day. I would take as late a flight as possible from Goa, and stay at a hotel near the Mumbai airport, then spend the next day seeing the city, with as late a check-out as possible before you have to head to the airport for that 2 am departure. Take a break during your touring and have lunch at the Oberoi or the Taj Mahal hotel. (I would be at the airport at least 2 hours before departure, a bit more if you are flying economy, as there is security before check-in which adds time, plus the inevitable delays at check-in and immigration.)

2. In Goa, I love the Marriott as well; however it is NOT on the beach. The hotel is very nice, probably the nicest in Goa (except maybe for the Park Hyatt, see below). It is on the river and has a lovely pool area and landscaping that make up for a lot, but if you are looking for actual beach access, this is not the hotel for you. I think the Fort Aguda would be fine. You might also look at the Park Hyatt, if your budget allows you might prefer this, although there have been some negative comments recently on the Park Hyatt. Run a search here.

3. In Delhi, I usually recommend the Imperial Hotel. This is a lovely low-rise colonial-style hotel which was refurbished about 3 years ago. It is smaller and quieter than the Taj or the Oberoi. You can walk to the Connaught Place area (and the great Indian handicrafts shop on the way), or walk in the other direction to Raj Path, India Gate and the Parliament buildings. I find it a very convenient location and I like the lower key of the hotel, the gardens and the friendliness of the staff. You can view the hotel on their website at http://www.theimperialindia.com

4. As I have said many times on this site, I really recommend at least one overnight in Agra rather than a day trip to see the Taj. You will spend at least 6 hours travelling in a day, and IMO really won't get to enjoy the city or the Taj. If you go for the day, you won't get to see sunrise or sunset at the Taj, really a spectacular sight. You also won't have time to get out to Fatephur Sikri, the ancient preserved palace about an hour outside of Agra and definitely worth a trip. You may not even have time to see the Red Fort in Agra. The city and the Taj deserve more time. I would give up a night in Mumbai and add a night in Agra. Keep in mind that the Taj is closed on Fridays, so you would need to work this into your schedule.

5. In Udaipur, I am kind of surprised that the Shiv Niwas is more affordable than the Lake Palace. I think it is a rather elegant place. I like its location (right in the city palace) and the pool area. I think you would like it, definitely ask for a room with a Lake Palace view.

6. Skipping Jaipur is a personal decision. I think it has more to offer than Udaipur, but I think you will enjoy Udaipur as well. With your limited time, and the fact that you want to include Jodhpur, I think you are wise to only choose one over trying to get to both. I think Jodhpur is very interesting, so don't think you will mind missing Jaipur.

glorialf Jul 28th, 2004 05:22 AM

One thing NOT to miss are the Jain temples at Ranakpur. They were the highlight of my 3 weeks in Rajastan and one of the highlihts of all my traveling.

agtoau Jul 28th, 2004 08:48 AM

To Cicerone's excellent posting I will add this small note -

Goa Marriott Resort is not directly on the beach, yes. It is on the edge of the Mandovi River at the point where it looks out into the Arabian Sea. From all the sea-facing rooms at the hotel, there are exceptionally beautiful views of the water. However, the Miramar Beach is situated right next to the Marriott, only a few steps away. But it is a city beach, not secluded like the south Goa beaches, and not really part of the hotel campus (note: no beach in Goa can be privately owned - the common man has access to all of them even though some luxury hotels give the impression of having a lock on them).

As for the Park Hyatt - who knows if the service has turned a corner. It is a beautiful property, but I had a couple of (almost identical) unpleasant experiences at their restaurant on two different occasions separated by almost a year.

Dot Jul 30th, 2004 12:14 PM

Thanks so much to everyone for their replys.

Any thoughts on whether we should stay 2 nights in Jodhpur (Ajit Bhawan) or outside town at Rohet Garh?

Still looking for a hotel in Goa. We'd like a hotel with a balcony beach view & easy access to the beach. So, Marriott won't work and Hyatt is too expensive. Would like to spend under $175 USD a night and stay in the Sinquerem area for nighttime access to Cangalute, etc. Any recommendations for a small charming (nice) hotel on the beach?

Here is our present itinerary:

Delhi - 3 nights(Delhi Gymkhana Club)
Jodhpur - 2 nights (Ajit Bhawan or Rohet Garh)
Rawla Narli - 2 nights
Udaipur - 2 nights
Goa - 5 nights
Bombay - 1 night

Thanks!

hobbes Aug 8th, 2004 04:04 AM

Consider Posauda Tauma - not set on a pristine beach but is close to the flea market, night life, lively part of Goa. A cheaper small hotel in North Goa is Laguna Anjuna - www.lagunaanjuna.com. One boutique option is Nilaya - www.nilayahermitage.com. Breath taking. The same owners also have a 5 room property set in a fort Fort Tiracol. Heritage Hotel. Do not know current rates and if they will fit in your budget. Re Jodhpur Rohet garh is a fabulos property but be advised that a 40km distance in Rajasthan is a 1 hour drive so that is how long it will take you to travel in and out of Jodhpur. If your intention is to enjoy the property it should be fine. if it is to explore Jodhpur you may prefer Ajit Bhawan. Do not know how you booked the Delhi Gym but you will enjoy it IMO - please go with the right expectations tho as it is not a luxury 5 start hotel experience like the Imperial which Cicerone suggested (and which charges accordingly!). If you are getting Shiv Niwas for a good rate quickly grab it. It is a gorgeous hotel.