Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Help with India intinerary this winter!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/help-with-india-intinerary-this-winter-626341/)

Travel_Holic2006 Jun 25th, 2006 03:14 PM

Help with India intinerary this winter!!

Hello all,

I need help with my itinerary. My wife and I plan on visiting India this winter. Below is the itinerary I have come up with. How does one go about:

1) booking the hotels,
2) making transportation arrangements, (planes, trains and automobiles)
3) arranging for guides and pick-ups from airports/train stations and making sure your trip goes without any major hiccups?

Approximately how much should the land transportation in Delhi, Khajuraho, Agra, Rajasthan and Aurangabad cost?

Please let me know if you have any additional suggestions and if the prices for the hotels match reality.

Any recommendations for a reliable travel agent who can help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help
TravelHolic

Delhi * Khajuraho * Agra * Jaipur * Jaisalmer * Jodhpur * Ranakpur* Kumbalgarh * Mount Abu * Udaipur * Aurangabad * Mumbai * Goa

Day1 :- Arrive Delhi
Lodging: Master Paying Guest House (2 nights) ($23/night)
Overnight at the hotel.

Day 2 :- Delhi
Breakfast at the hotel, half day city tour of Old Delhi.
Raj Ghat, the Red Fort, Jama Masjid by bicycle rickshaws
In New Delhi
Qutub Minar,Humayun’s tomb,Bahai temple Overnight at the hotel

Day 3 :- Flight Delhi - Khajuraho
Lodging: Holiday Inn ($45)
Breakfast at the hotel. Flight to Khajuraho. Transfer to hotel.
Half day visit to the western and eastern group of temples.
Overnight at the hotel.

Day 4:- Khajuraho-Jhansi- Agra
Lodging: Howard Park Plaza in Agra $132
Breakfast at the hotel. Leave Khajuraho around 10 AM for Jhansi to board the train to Agra ( 1755/2015) hrs.
Stop at Orchha to visit the Jahangir Mahal,the Raj Mahal, Ram Raja temple & Chaturbhuj temple. Continue the drive to Jhansi to board the train to Agra. Upon arrival in Agra railway station transfer to hotel. .

Day 5:- Agra / Jaipur (1night)
Lodging: 1st choice- Umaid Bhawan Heritage House Hotel ($49)
2nd choice- Umaid Mahal ($70)
Breakfast at the hotel. At Sunrise, tour of the Taj Mahal (closed on Fridays).
Agra Fort ,Itimad Ud Daulah
Around noon, drive to Jaipur, (260KMS/ 5 hrs) en-route visiting Fatehpur Sikri,
Upon arrival in Jaipur check-in at the hotel. Overnight at the hotel.

Day 6:- Jaipur
Lodging: Overnight Train
Amber Fort, city of Jaipur, City Palace, Jantar Mantar
Come back to hotel for checkout by NOON.
Later drive to Jaigarh Fort. Sunset at Nahargarh Fort: -
Ttransfer to the railway station to board the overnight train to Jaisalmer. Depart Jaipur at 2330 hrs. Overnight in the train.

Day 7: - Arrive in Jaisalmer at 0740 hrs
Lodging: Killa Bhavan for 2 nights USD $51/night
Transfer to hotel.
Late afternoon drive to Sam Sand Dunes or Khuri on a camel into the desert to watch the sun set. Overnight at the hotel

Day 8: Jaisalmer
A city tour of Jaisalmer.
Return to the hotel after the tour. Afternoon at leisure. Overnight at the hotel

Day 9: - Jaisalmer – Jodhpur
Lodging: Devi Bhawan $USD 18
Drive from Jaisalmer to Jodhpur (260KMS / 7 Hours).Upon arrival check-in at the hotel. Half day city tour of Jodhpur – Visit the Meherangarh Fort & the museum located in the Umaid Bhawan Palace. Overnight at the hotel.

Day 10: Jodhpur- Ranakpur- Kumbalgarh
Lodging: Aodhi Heritage in Kumbalgarh ($110)
After buffet breakfast, drive from Jodhpur to Ranakpur (150KMS / 4 Hours). En-route visit Ranakpur Jain Temples,
Continue the drive to Kumbalgarh, 40 Kms. Upon arrival check-in at the hotel.
Kumbalgarh: Late afternoon, sightseeing: Visit Kumbalgarh fort. Overnight at the hotel.

Day 11: Kumbalgarh- – Mount Abu
Lodging: Cama Rajputana in Mt. Abu ($80)
Drive from Kumbalgarh to Mount Abu (205 KMS / 5 Hours).
Afternoon, visit the Dilwara Temples then Nakki Lake and the Achalgarh Fort. Overnight at the hotel 135 KMS

Day 12: Mount Abu – Udaipur(2 nights)
Lodging: 1st choice: Amet Haveli $32, 2nd choice: Hotel Udai Kothi $91
Drive from Mount Abu to Udaipur (/ 4 Hours).
Check into hotel at Udaipur. Rest of the day at leisure.
Overnight at the hotel

Day 13: Udaipur
Sightseeing tour of Udaipur City, City Palace, which overlooks Lake Pichola. Boat-ride on Lake Pichola. Overnight at the hotel.

Day 14:- Flight Udaipur – Bombay – Aurangabad (2 nights)
Lodging: President Park
Flight to Aurangabad via Mumbai.
Transfer to hotel

Day 15:- Aurangabad
After breakfast at the hotel. Full day tour of Ajanta & Ellora. Overnight at the hotel

Day 16:- Flight Aurangabad – Mumbai
Lodging: Taj Hotel, Gateway of India ($370/night)
Breakfast at the hotel. Transfer to airport to board the flight to Mumbai. Transfer to hotel. .

Day 17:- Mumbai
4 days in Bombay, stay with friends

Day 21 : - Goa
1 week in Goa, stay with friends. Flight to Bombay

Day 28: Bombay
Flight out of India

rhkkmk Jun 25th, 2006 07:35 PM

am i missing something?? you seem to have answered many of your own questions?? what do you want to know..??

hobbes Jun 26th, 2006 05:39 AM

You are probably ballpark correct in your assessment of master guest house prices but I think you could spend a little more in Delhi to stay somewhere nicer esp given the rest of your itinerary. Bear un mind it will be your first stop after a flight and also your Delhi sightseeing is quite hectic. I’d suggest the Meridien or Ashok Yatri Niwas.

Day 2 :- Delhi
You need a good TA to organize this well. The cycle rickshaws per se you can get in Jama Masjid but for the rest a good driver certainly, maybe a guide also if you like guides.

Day 3 :- Flight Delhi - Khajuraho
You can also look at the Clarks Khajuraho property. I don’t know Holiday Inn but assume it will be fine.

Day 4:- Khajuraho-Jhansi- Agra
The rate seems high for Howard Park Plaza. Other options in this range are the Mughal Sheraton and the Jaypee property.

Day 5:- Agra / Jaipur (1night)
think you are confusing Jodhpur and Jaipur. Umaid Bhawan is in Jodhpur. In Jaipur you can look at Raj Mahal, Samode Haveli or Jas Vilas.

Day 6:- Jaipur
This makes a lot of sense as u will spend your traveling time in the train.

Day 7: - Arrive in Jaisalmer at 0740 hrs
I don’t know if your rates for Killa Bhawan are correct. Have you checked www.heritagehotels.com?

Day 9: - Jaisalmer – Jodhpur
Lodging: Devi Bhawan $USD 18
I don’t know this hotel.

More shortly!

Travel_Holic2006 Jun 26th, 2006 05:50 PM

Thanks for your reply Hobbes. Appreciate the suggestions.

I researched the hotels using Trip Advisor. In addition to the prices listed on the hotel websites are there any other charges I need to be aware of?

Also how much should I expect to pay for a driver(s) and guide(s) for this trip? Price/day would be great.

Can you suggest a good/reliable travel agent?

Thanks for all your help.

Travelholic

hobbes Jun 27th, 2006 08:32 AM

I don't know whether room rates were quoted on an inclusive or exclusive basis. Exclusive means taxes and servcie charges of 20-30% need to be added. An a/c car and driver will cost you somewhere between Rs. 1000-1500/day depending on distances you coevr. A guide will be Rs. 200-400/day depending on city. I used PresTours, [email protected] for my trip Delhi-Ramthambore=Jaipur-Agra-Delhi. If you can I would tweak your itinerary to stay at Amar Vilas in Agra - it is expensive but worth it to see the Tajk from your room early in the morning and late at night.

agtoau Jun 27th, 2006 10:18 AM

What a pity that some fellow from India with an ulterior commercial interest spam this forum pretending to dispense advice and ruin it for everyone else. Fodors moderators, please take note.

Travel_Holic2006 Jun 27th, 2006 05:42 PM

Thanks for your helpful comments Hobbes. Is it realistic to buget $35USD/day for an A/C SUV and driver and $10 USD/day for a guide?

About staying at the Amar Vilase it looks like I'll be arriving in Agra at 8:30pm and leaving the hotel at 6:00 am to see the Taj. So I didn't think it would be worth spending $600 USD for a night. Although I am looking into getting a reservation at their restaurant(Esphahan) so hopefully I will get to see the view of the Taj you eluded to.

If anyone can provide info on how to go about making restaurant reservations at the Esphahan at the Amar Vilas and at the restaurant at the Lake Palace in Udaipur I would appreciate it.

Thanks
TravelHolic

hobbes Jun 29th, 2006 05:33 AM

With a decent TA your estimates for a car driver and guide are OK. You will not be able to get at that rate with a hotel. To book at the Amar Vilas try writing to the Oberoi Hotels website. Ditto re Lake Palace - Taj Hotels website.

dutyfree Oct 30th, 2007 12:00 AM

So how did the trip go? I am leaving next week for India and am still planning so would love to hear how your trip went and what you liked. Thanks!

Mitch04 Oct 30th, 2007 02:47 PM

The following company, Rajasthan 4-wheel drive - is extremely reliable, and very safe in terms if vehicles.

http://www.fourwheeldriveindia.com/

My wife and I used them in Jaipur (where they are based) but they also operate throughout Japasthan and adjacent states.

The vehicles were clean and modern, they are fitted with seat belts, driver speak good English, and the cars are even fitted with first aid kits!

The drivers were the only ones I found in India who would actually pull over to the side of the road to speak on their cell phones as opposed to speaking incessantly while driving with only one hand on the wheel. They also know some really good attractions that are less known and off the beaten tourist track.

The restaurants they took us to for lunch each day were excellent with mouth wateringly good food.

Prices are very good. They organise multi day tours - but also are available for day hire (we paid $25US per day).

We used them to transport us from Agra to Jaipur ($90 US) as opposed to the Oberois Amarvilas, which quoted $350 US! Email me if you have any queries.