Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help with good budget Hotels in Delhi, Jaipur and Lucknow

Oct 8th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

I'm traveling to India in December with 3 friends. Our husbands don't want to visit India so it will be four women on a low budget. I would appreciate suggestions for centrally-located, safe, clean and inexpensive hotels in Delhi (one night), Jaiper (three nights) and Lucknow (five nights - attending a wedding there) where four of us could share a room or have two inexpensive ones. Also, thoughts on what to see on our arrival and only day in Delhi - we will be in Agra before flying back to the states so will see the Taj Mahal later. Help would be appreciated!
Oct 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM

If you are attending a wedding in Lucknow, the bride or groom (who ever you are friends of) should advise you on the hotel to ensure you are not far from where the wedding functions will be held. Lucknow is a big city, you can't just get from one part to another quickly. It could be a 45 minute drive with congested traffic that's a daily problem.

I'm sure they will be having other out of town guests too. It's customary for the families to get blocks of rooms at a hotel so that everyone is staying together. Guests of the wedding are also often put up a hostel kind of accommodations called Guest Houses. So check with them on the Lucknow part.

Plan on two people per room. Indian hotels often won't let 4 adults stay in one room.

Delhi is too big of a city to tell you what to do in just one day. You will only be able to see/do a couple of things in one day. If it's the day just after you arrive, plan on half a day of activities because you may want some time to sleep after the long flight. Also, are you more interested in seeing historic sites, shopping, etc?
Oct 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughts. So far the engaged couple hasn't indicated they would be providing accomodations or made hotel suggestions. That may be due to the fact they live in California and their parents in Lucknow are doing a great deal of the wedding planning. The wedding is getting close (with over five-hundred guests expected) and we want to make sure we have an acceptable place to stay while we're there.

I'm sure the shopping is wonderful but I really want to see a bit of the city. I'm leaning towards the old section, Shahjahanabad, of Delhi. As we will be there such a short time I don't know if there are organized half-day tours with an English-speaking guide or I should be trying to line one up on my own.
Oct 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM

The parents of the bride and groom may not actually pay for your hotel, but see if you can get recommendations from the parents. It would be logistically better to stay near the area where the functions will be held, especially for returning back to your hotel late in the evening (for safety reasons).

The Taj Hotel in Lucknow isn't low budget, but you can split the cost of two rooms four ways. It is a luxury hotel is a very safe area. That said, I don't know if they have any availability for the time you are there.
Oct 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking into where the event will be held in Lucknow. Thank you again Taj.
Oct 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM

Since you indicated that you are on a low budget, I would suggest you stay in Pahar Ganj (main bazaar) in Delhi.
Sry I'm a bit lazy to type on Sunday night- but the info from my trip is here: http://tiyulon.blogspot.com/2010/01/delhi-tips.html
and while I'm at it- we really liked the place we stayed in Jaipur: http://tiyulon.blogspot.com/2009/02/jaipur-tips.html
Both were in the 400-500 Rs. range I believe (for a double).
Oct 10th, 2010, 10:31 PM

We stayed in Phar Ganj at Hotel Le Roi and found it great for only $100 a night and it is clean and modern, we liked it a lot
http://www.delhihotelsleroi.com/room_rates.php
Oct 10th, 2010, 11:45 PM

In Jaipur I can recommend Jas Vila http://jasvilas.com/
a small family run hotel, really an oasis, very clean, everything works and the couple running the hotel are very helpfull and can give you ideas for sightseeing - shopping.
Have dinner in the garden by the pool.
We have stayed there several times.
Oct 11th, 2010, 07:21 AM

In Jaipur we stayed at
http://www.madhuban.net/
which was $40 a night
Oct 14th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all!
Oct 14th, 2010, 06:16 PM

I hope you'll give us a Trip Report when you return! Report back also on which hotels you stayed at and how they were.

Have a great time!