Bangkok, buffet restaurants.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know some cities in Asia have lavish buffets with top notch food items on offer. Which (if any) of the buffets in Bangkok are good (in terms of quality, not quantity of food)? I prefer a buffet with Thai food rather than Western food. However, I'm open to suggestions on top notch Western food buffets as well.

Thank you.
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 07:36 AM

Lord Jim at the Oriental Hotel has a buffet that includes Thai, Japanese, Chinese and other types of food.
The Siem Kempenski's Sunday afternoon brunch is fabulous.
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 08:28 AM

Most 4* and 5* hotels in Bangkok will have extensive breakfast buffets daily. Try to get breakfast included in your room rate, as otherwise it tends to be quite expensive. Lord Jim was the place I thought of, and there is an Indian buffet at the Rembrandt Hotel.
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 03:50 PM

Over the years we have eaten at many buffets in Bangkok. The more memorable ones were along the river at the Peninsula, The Oriental and the Shangri La. The Conrad on wireless road was also excellent. The best of all however was at Utage, the Japanese restaurant in the Plaza Athenee - it was superb only on a weekend though if I remember correctly.
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 12:06 PM

All of these are fab... We always plan to go early when food is freshest... Some like kempeski restock constantly.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 02:19 AM

I don't like buffets. Too much risk I think. You see so many people touching food then putting it back.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 09:39 AM

Right on, Miss Green! Back in the 80's, when Club Med was in vogue, my husband and I stayed at their property in the Bahamas, and all the food was served buffet. The first morning, I saw a French woman remove the ladle from the pancake syrup, taste it, and then put the ladle back in the syrup.

Since then, I avoid buffets at all costs.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 06:13 PM

Paranoia, at least deep suspicion, reigns. I was in China with some other westerners i had met sitting around the dinner table and one lady said she could not eat from one dish as another had used personal chopsticks to nab a bite.
Agree that generally buffets offer the least in terms of quality. How else could they survive? Food safety? Open the pages of USA news and see what is not so safe to eat.
I have never seen one person 'touch' food on buffet serving trays, if touch means, to you, with finger, lip or tongue.