Search

Songkran

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 09:59 PM
harzer

Songkran

I am arriving in BKK on the morning of 13th April, heading for Pattaya for two weeks. This is when Songkran starts in Thailand, except, so I have heard, in Pattaya where it starts on 17th April. Is this correct? If so, am I not better going direct to Pattaya from the airport on the morning of my arrival to be there before the local Songkran starts? <BR>Can anyone advise, please?

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 02:56 AM
Tim+

I've never heard of Songkran on April 17th. Always 13th. And Songkran is the worst day for traveling out of Bangkok, as so many non-native Bangkokians leave the city for their hometowns. Oh, and on that day the native Bangkokians leave for their holidays elsewhere as well.

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 06:35 PM
harzer

Thanks Tim. I will stay in BKK for four days before going down to Pattaya.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 10:11 PM
pat

On the morning of Apr 13th would not be too bad to arrive here in bkk, because most people will move out from the evening of Apr12th, or even before that because this year there is another long weekend just before Songkran. <BR>As a local in bkk, it is true that the best time of the year to live in bkk is during Songkran because of the traffic.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 06:49 PM
Brad

Songkran is from 13-15 April and it is a blast. I will be in Chiang Mai during that time. You will have fun no matter where you are in thailand. <BR> <BR>Brad <BR>

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 07:30 AM
Gman

Harzer, <BR>You may be partly correct about the Songkran Festival. Nationally it is indeed from April 13th to the 15th. BUT, Pattaya has it's own version of the festival that they call "the Pattaya Festival" and it is in conjunction with Songkran and frequently <BR>on different dates. Check with TAT or Pattaya websites for the exact dates of "the Pattaya Festival" (dates change yearly). Good luck.