Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Help with Bangkok hotels! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/help-with-bangkok-hotels-875125/)

tastravel Jan 25th, 2011 10:08 AM

Help with Bangkok hotels!

I've just started the research ( fun!) for trip in December. Trip is primarily to Cambodia, but we'll be spending a few days in Bangkok since it is an obvious flight stopover. With limited vacation (sigh) and funds (sigh) we are planning just 3 days in Bangkok. Hubby and I are experienced travelers who have been to Asia and don't want 5 star "sterile" hotels...more the 3-4 range and something with character. It seems like all the major hotels in Bangkok are along Sukhumvit, which is near dining and shopping...but can anyone recommend a few good picks closer to the Grand Palace/Wat Po/ Wat Arun? We'd rather stay closer to sites and use public transit to shop. We love to walk and really explore a city. Or am I completely missing something and the "historic" part isn't the best/safest area?
Thanks for input!

Smeagol Jan 25th, 2011 10:49 AM

Not all 5 star are sterile especially in Bangkok, the Oriental is a wonderful hotel and perfect access to the sites. I am a fan of the Peninsula again great access to the "sites"
There are many many repeat Bangkok travellers on here so give us your anticipated budget and what sites you would like to see and we can narrow the hotel search down.

That said I have stayed in a couple of hotels "in town" and love those locations. This trip we stayed near to Siam Paragon and my partner commented that staying in Town made Bangkok seem smaller!! ( in a nice way) this was my 8th trip to Bangkok

simpsonc510 Jan 25th, 2011 10:58 AM

I have stayed along the river at least 3-4 times now, over my 22 trips (?) to BKK, but much prefer 'in town' (Sukhumvit area) over the river. But if you are mainly doing the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, etc. you might want a river location. If you intend to do shopping, then the Sukhumvit area is the place to be.

I have stayed at Adelphi Suites probably 8-10 times now, at least, since it opened about 3 years ago. Sukhumvit Soi 8. It is not fancy, but is serviced apartments, which I prefer over a hotel room. It is not done in a Thai style, so you might consider it a bit 'sterile' (but it is much smaller than the mega-hotels). The staff is very helpful and friendly. It feels like my home away from home. The skytrain escalator is but two minutes away, and the skytrain will take you to the river in short order.

Anyway, my vote would be for 'in town' but the decision is up to you. Have fun!

KimJapan Jan 25th, 2011 11:11 AM

I have not stayed there, but I thin Phranakorn norlen (spelling may be off) looks fun.

rhkkmk Jan 25th, 2011 12:02 PM

none of the sightseeing places are really close to "public" transportation, except for the river boats for some of them..

bkk is a very hot city and lots of walking can be difficult, but dec is perhaps the best month...

prices rise about 3rd week of dec thru 1st wk of jan...

most serviced apartments plus some hotels fall under that boring sterile box you refer to, but how much time do you spend there??

look at the new hotel ibis on the river..

look at chatrium on the river

look at the eugenia off sukhumvit, soi 31---this is anything but sterile...

marriott mayfair is nice

tastravel Jan 26th, 2011 08:09 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! We are hoping for under $250 a night, which looks very reasonable in Bangkok. And I guess I should rephrase...by not liking "sterile" I mean we like to look for interesting local design elements, boutique or smaller hotels are fine, just some place with character! We don't want to travel around the world and feel like we could be in any-hotel-any-town-USA. Thanks again, everyone!!

qwovadis Jan 27th, 2011 04:15 AM

www.bangkok.com/amari-watergate

great 5 star good location usually

can pick up from $50/nt bidding priceline

www.betterbidding.com search Bangkok for great deals 70% off

Happy Hunting,

SueHuml Jan 27th, 2011 04:33 AM

How come Bob didn't mention the Marriott Resort and Spa on the River. Is your loyalty lagging Bob? It is not at all sterile and does have a very distinctive Thai flavor, a great location for river boat taxis, BTS, it's own ferry boat to the train, and they have some reasonable rates.

We will be back there again on Sunday, and though I hate to leave this little relaxing part of Paradise on Phuket, I look forward to our return to the Marriott R & S.

simpsonc510 Jan 27th, 2011 04:40 AM

I would agree that the Marriott on the river has its own Thai style, even though it is a large resort. When you mentioned staying in a 3* or maybe 4* hotel I thought you might be on a tight budget, but your $250/nt limit means that you can have a really nice place (with character). Do look at the Marriott Resort & Spa on the river.

Kalil_Daoud Jan 27th, 2011 06:16 PM

Although operated by Starwood Hotels & Resorts, the 5-Star Royal Orchid Sheraton (ROS) has Thai character as it's partly Thai owned (30% by MBK and 25% by THAI AIR). Originally opened by Queen Sirikit of Thailand in 1983 and recently went through major renovations, it still retains its original Thai style and charm. Please see photos below.

Much less than $250 will get you a 70 SQM (about 750 SQ FT) suite with buffet breakfast and lounge benefits including high tea beverages and pastries, happy hour cocktails and canapés, laundry, high speed internet use or WIFI for your laptop, etc. The newly renovated Towers Lounge located is on the 27th floor with sweeping views of both sides of the river.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7625539423944/

The ROS is conveniently located near Si Phraya express boat pier placing the entire city under your finger tips. These river boats offer direct access to the Grand Palace and its legendary “Temple of the Emerald Buddha” or Wat Phra Keaw, Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn), Wat Pho (the Reclining Buddha), and other attractions.

The ROS’ shuttle boat will provide you complimentary transportation to the Silom Line skytrain station at Saphan Taksin and then on to many of Bangkok’s attractions including MBK Center, Siam Paragon, Chatuchak weekend market, etc. The shuttle operating time is from 09.00–22.00 hours daily. The boat leaves the hotel’s pier every half hour during operating time. Also, just a short taxi ride away is Chinatown on Yaowarat Road, a vibrant area full of culture and some of the best food you'll find in town. The ROS is also connected to the 4-story River City Shopping complex, home to a large number of art and antique shops as well as several restaurants.

rhkkmk Jan 27th, 2011 06:46 PM

of almost all the hotels in bkk, i find royal orchid sheraton to have the least thai style.... but i still suggest it along with my fav the marriott resort and spa... the peninsula and the shangri-la---all along the river..

in town my fav is the starwoods plaza anthanee, followed by hyatt, 4 seasons, sheraton grande, st regis opening in 2 months, jw marriott and renaissance...

chatrium and marriott mayfair for serviced apartments, along with plaza anthanee and conrad

Kalil_Daoud Jan 27th, 2011 07:04 PM

The hip urban Renaissance Ratchaprasong is "a brash teen-going-on-forty-something establishment with a proposition for everyone." Our 3-nights stay last November at this cool design retreat was awesome and we are already looking forward to our next trip and next stay ...

As for the other hotels mentioned in rhkkmk's post above, they are all great with special mention for the JWM and the SGS. For budget conscience traveler, I'd add the new Four Points at Sukhumvit 15 ... so many great properties so little time to see them all :) But the OP is looking for something uniquely Thai.

rhkkmk Jan 27th, 2011 07:16 PM

'uniquelly thai' does not really apply to any of them, other than all have fantastic thai employees who are unique to thailand and make any hotel a pleasure...

marriott r&s with its thai look buildings and thai decorations on almost every wall and spare space comes the closest for me..

Kalil_Daoud Jan 27th, 2011 08:09 PM

Agreed ... and yet they all have some elements of Thai design even the Renaissance Ratchaprasong: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7623281787891/

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit(SGS): http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5223288633/

JW Marriott: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/4106331088/

Plaza Athenee: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/3828511671/

Royal Orchid Sheraton (ROS): http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5223143531/

simpsonc510 Jan 28th, 2011 04:44 AM

Siam@Siam Hotel is certainly unique. Its location is within steps of MBK mall and the Jim Thompson house. I've never stayed there but I've seen a selection of rooms a couple of years ago, when the place was new.

kjcruisesqueen Jan 28th, 2011 07:12 AM

Centara Hotel in BKK. About $49 with free WIFI and Breakfast. Great location near Taksin Bridge which you can take BTS (Sky train) to most major shopping area around Sukumvit, Siam Square, Din Dang, Anusawaree (Military Monument)..
Also, at Taksin bridge is a pier you can take the tourist river boat and be off at Tha Chang (elephant pier) then short stroll to Wat Prakaew (emerald Budda), The Grand Palce. Also, with the shopping in BKK is everywhere. You won't miss anything. It is just busy, busy city. Have fun!

jas64 Jan 28th, 2011 07:59 PM

I would recommend President Solitaire for its location and convenience to the BTS skytrain station as well as loads of restaurants in the vicinity as well as pubs n clubs. The hotel has its own SPA and being a guest there m sure u do get a good discount. Theres also loads of street shopping along Sukhumvit road.