Help with a 2 week trip around Thailand - June 2011

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am going on a 2 week trip to Thailand with my boyfriend, and all I have booked are the flights into Bangkok.
This is what I am thinking currently, does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for improvement, or possible accomodation??
Bangkok - 3 nights here when we arrive
Koh Samui - 3 nights
Phuket - 3 nights
Chiang Mai - 3 nights
Bangkok - 2 ngihts.
We are young, willing to backpack for parts of the trip, but prepared to pay for a little luxury (probably at the end for the last couple of nights in Bangkok), and I'm thinking of flying in between each place (with the exception of Koh Samui, where I'm thinking of flying into Surat Thani, then ferry across to the island, but flying directly from Koh Samui to Phuket).
Not really into partying, but are interested in seeing historical places more, with a little beach time.
Any help greatly appreciated!!
Old May 7th, 2011, 07:57 AM

My first thought is why are you choosing two different beach locations on opposite sides of Thailand? Phuket is rather rainy in June (averages 8.4 inches of rain in June) while Koh Samui is relatively drier at 4.4 inches of rain in June.

I'd cut one of the beaches and spend a little longer in each of the places you are going. That way, you'll have more time to explore and enjoy Thailand.

For places to stay take a look at some of the booking sites: www.sawasdee.com www.agoda.com and www.asiarooms.com are a good start. The booking sites generally include tax and service (a total of 17.7% ) in the price, and often, breakfast.

If you are really interested in visiting historical places, you might go to Sukothai for a few days.
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:21 AM

I agree 2 beach resorts is not worth doing. If you are into snorkeling though Phuket is rainy in June you can take a day trip to the Phi Phi Islands for a modest fee and if you want the best snorkeling in Thailand you can take a fast boat out to the Similan Islands. It is a long trip. 4+ hours RT, but you get 2-3 hours of very good snorkeling. If you go to Koh Samui you can go to Koh Tao by boat tp snorkel, make sure you arrange to be on the small boat not the large ferry that serves a buffet lunch and you will enjoy very good snorkeling almost as good as Phuket. The difference is in Phuket you have 3-4 snorkel options where in Ko Samui you really have only one. There is no snorkeling around Koh Samui. The social life on Koh Samui is active but the several downtown areas are a bit honkey tonk but fun and a bit expensive but no more than Phuket. But 6 nights in Koh Samui is maybe too many. I think 4 or 5 and add one day at the end to Bangkok because you will be pretty whipped out the first 24-36 hours from jet lag coming over. Three days in CM is just right. You may want to hire a guide for 1 day to take you to see the Karon Indian tribe people that are very interesting. It is a 10 hour day. Also, you will want to go to the Lampang Elephant Conservancy that is 35-40 minutes from town. It is best to hire a taxibut have the hotel negotiate a rate for 5 hours. You woukld leave at 8:15 and you can walk around observing elephants that are being brought back to health that were injured in the jungle and the program is from 10-11/11::15. Then you could have the driver take you to Do Suthop (spelling is off) a very beautiful temple but be ready to walk 120 steps to see it's full magnificance. You do not need necessary meed an English speaking guide if the hotel writes out for the driver where you want to go and settles on a cost. It should cost you about $30 USD plus admission to the Elephany Conservancy because of the weak dollar and high cost of fuel. In Bankgok if you want to indulge yourself you might want to stay in a Deluxe room (without a balcony-you pay extra and it's not worth it) at the Peninsula hotel and eat at their Chinese restaurant. It is really very good. There is a driver we used 3 times in BK that is also a guide that speaks pretty good English. You might want to use her for 2 days of your stay in BK. You can source her email by just searching "Ratt" and driver on this forum.Though she is not a licensed guide she knows at least as much or more than a licensed guide we used. In fact her sister lives in CM and is a guide there if you wanted one there. Ratt does the scheduling for her sister. Good Luck.
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:41 AM

I'd spend more time in Bangkok and cut one of the islands out as Kathie suggested. For Bangkok, see here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...8/#post-184791

For Koh Samui, here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...0/#post-212284 ... you can snorkle at Koh Tao & Koh Nang.
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:38 PM

I think that you have scheduled plenty of time in Bangkok for a first time visitor, but do agree that you could cut out one of the beach areas.

If the chance of better weather is greatly important, then I would totally agree that Samui is your best choice, but at that time of year, there is still no guarantee.

I would not agree that 6 nights on Samui is too much. We have been there 5 times, for time frames between 8 nights and 20 nights, and I have never felt like it was time to move on. We are comtemplating another 2 week stay later this year. Maybe split your time between 2 of the beaches on the Island or 3 nights on Samui and 3 on Phangan, if you prefer to move around.

If your budget permits, fly directly into and out of Samui. The other option kills far too much time and is rather labourious. Take a ferry trip to Phangan or Tao, if you feel like some sea travel.

For comfortable accomadation on Samui in a relatively quiet but idyllic location, have a look at this link http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/677214-rates.html

They have a stay 5 pay 3 or stay 7 pay 4 offer in June that will give you a solid 3 star property which is absolute beachfront, for not much more than backpacker accomadation. It is a super friendly place with a nice little pool, charming rooms and has many excellent eating options within strolling distance and a 7/11 next door. You will need to get a taxi, or hire a vehicle, if you want to get to the nightclubs at Chaweng Beach, which is about 5 kms away.
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:53 PM

you might want to consider staying on the river in bkk for your last few nights....check out chatrium suites/riverside. it is quite fab.

often you will pay nearly as much for backpacker places as you will for a small decent hotel in bkk.... choose carefully. the sights kathie has given you are good options but mostly require a pre-pay with changes quite difficult.

last minute walk ins are often a problem as well so best to have a res.
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM

How exciting for you! I just saw your other thread about a taxi at the airport.

I, too, would leave out one of the island destinations. Go to Samui!! You'll love it! A great 3-star place on Chaweng Beach is the Seascape Resort. It is co-owned by a friend of mine. It's basic, clean, and right on Chaweng Beach. Poppies is right next door, with a very nice restaurant. There are shops/eateries galore right outside of the resort. You will not be wondering what to do with your time, believe me. And you will not need to drive or taxi unless taking a 'tour' around the island or beach-hopping. Chaweng has everything.

I agree that you should do your splurge hotel in Bangkok, along the river, just before heading back home. If you can afford it, the Marriott Resort would be very nice for you.

I was just in Chiang Mai one week ago today (on a day-trip from Bangkok for shopping). I really like CM. It's more of a country town, sprawled out and not nearly the traffic headaches of Bangkok. You can find a place to stay that is close to the old city wall. It's easy to walk around CM. Oh, and you would enjoy Doi Suthep and Doi Inthanon. Inthanon is an hour or more by car, but FABULOUS and not nearly as visited as Doi Suthep, which is just up on the hillside overlooking Chiang Mai. Inthanon's gardens are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. And the highest point in Thailand is right by there... with a nice waterfall.
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM

....Ooops... sorry.... that wasn't your thread about late arrival taxi at BKK airport!

OK then, I will give you a couple of hotel recos for BKK. Stay in the Sukhumvit/Siam area. That is where the best of the shopping and entertainment is. Take a look at places such as S15. It is right along the main Sukhumvit Road. I've never stayed there, but it looks fine. I stay at the Adelphi Suites on Sukhumvit soi 8. I get a one-bedroom apartment. They also have studio suites that are really quite reasonable and the location by Nana BTS station is great. You will want to 'land' somewhere close to the skytrain (BTS), for sure.
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM

Of our several trips to Bangkok we stayed at the Peninsula all but once when we stayed at the Four Seasons. I really feel that all guests especially honeymooners, if the know, are treated like royality and it is worth the extra money and an ideal way to end a lovely stay in Thailand.
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:14 AM

Bookmarking.
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help so far! Based on what some of you have said, we are now going to take Phuket off, have 3 nights in Bangkok at the beginning, and 3 days and nights there at the end of the trip. Then still looking at Koh Samui for 3/4 days, and going to Chiang Mai for 3 days, with possibly a day or two in Sukhothai, or somewhere else close by if anyone's got any other suggestions?
We're also now looking at getting the overnight trains around, with the exception of flying to or from Chiang Mai, partly to save money on accomodation. What are people's experiences of the overnight trains? Is it worthwhile travelling first class, or is second class good enough?
We're not really into snorkelling (although after reading the descriptions on this thread I wish I was!) Are there any other suggestions about things to do, particulary around Chiang Mai? (The elephant conservancy sounds like a must-do).
Thanks again!
Old May 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM

If you can swim you can snorkel. If you were to take the trip from Koh Samui to Koh Tao they give you a mask, snorkel, fins and a life preserver, notb that you really need it, and how to put the mask on and use the snorkel. All you have to do is put your face in the water abnd see amazing underwater pleasures. It is like being in a huge fish take. It is better snorkeling than any in the Caribbean. Mzaybe you should consider if you say for 4 days since Koh Samui is a beach resort island and not much sightseeing except for 1000 trinket shops some of which are interesting.
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:35 PM

CM is light on sightseeing imo....there are things to do but i find them secondary to bkk and other parts of thailand... the pace is slower however in CM...

good decisions about bkk...

btw, i have a restaurant listing for bkk if you want it:

[email protected] just ask
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:08 PM

Here are some photos that will give you an idea of how beautiful a location Choeng Mon Beach on Samui is and some of the things that you can do and see around the Island. The beachfront shots were taken at or around the Whitehouse Resort, in mid June 2009.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3880219...7621074196068/
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the help so far. We are looking at getting the overnight train between bangkok and koh samui, and also possible between bangkok and chiang mai. Firstly, how easy is it to book the train when in thailand? (The official website doesn't seem to have an english booking facility). Is there a difference in price if booking in advance or not? Secondly, has anyone travelled on the overnight train, and if so, what is it like?
Thanks again!
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM

For info about train travel in Thailand, go to the Man in Seat 61 at http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

There you will find information about how to buy train tickets both within and from outside Thailand, as well as lots of info about schedules, routes, etc.

Check out http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#On%20board to see what Thai trains are like, differences between 1st and 2nd class overnight trains and more.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:19 AM

Here are some photos from the Elephant Nature Park and Sanctuary near Chiang Mai, if you are interested: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=07507bbe24

My daughter and I had a wonderful, unforgettable day there, feeding and bathing the elephants, hearing their stories, meeting Lek, the woman who founded the sanctuary to rescue elephants from abysmal and abusive conditions. The visit includes a bountiful lunch of freshly prepared Thai food. It's a beautiful drive to the camp which is located up in the hills about 45 minutes from CM.

It's not a drop-in kind of place. You must have a booking, even if visiting just for the day. You can book online in advance, or make arrangements when you arrive in CM. If booking on short notice, bookings may be filled for a particular day, but will usually be open for the next day or so. The camp has vans to transport visitors from CM or you can arrange your own transportation if you want.

Here's a link: http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/tour/index.htm