Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help,please. China Cambodia , leave in 5 weeks, suggestions, comments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found out we, my husband and I, are taklng a 2 1/2 week trip to China and Cambodia. This will probably be the only time in this lifetime we make it to Asia and my only must visit is Angkor Wat. Applying for visas tomorrow, anything else must do right away? We must fly into either Hong Kong, Beijing, or Shanghai. We are thinking Beijing for five days. Then train, bus or plane to Phenom Phen for 3 days, then 6 days in Siem Reep, then back to Beijing and home. Would love to go to Viet Nam as well, but always prefer to spend some time and try to get to know a place at least a little. Is this schedule too much in any one place? Could we fit in Viet Nam?
Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 09:52 PM

Its a long way from Beijing to Phnom Penh, therefore flying is the only reasonable option. Why go back there after Cambodia? Couldn't you fly home via Bangkok, Hong Kong or Ho Chi Minh City. (Which could give you a brief look at Vietnam)

I would suggest cutting Phnom Penh to 2 days. I enjoy Phnom Penh but a lot of people don't. Some of the tourist sites are emotionally challenging (Killing Fields, Tuol Sleng). If Angkor Wat is a 'must' then 6 days is fine.

Where else do you want to go in China? Remember travel in Asia is probably slower than you are used to and I feel its better to try and cover less ground and do it more thoroughly. Is it 2 and a half weeks in Asia or does that also include travel time in which case you may have to factor in a bit of jetlag (depending on where you are coming from)
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 06:36 AM

Silverwool has some goood advice. I, too, would cut PP to two days. We spent a week in Siem Reap and could have used even more time. Also, remember that if you return to China after being in another country, you'll need a mult-entry visa.

For Angkor, do buy Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor: A Guide to Cambodia's Wonderous Temples. You are welcome to take a look at our photos at www.marlandc.com
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 07:10 AM

First of all you will of course need a visa for China and as Kathie says a muit-entry one as you are entering the country twice. If you deceide to go to Vietnam you need one also. You do not need one for Cambodia as you can get one when you arrive for $20

As this will be your only trip to Asia I would suggest that besides China and Cambodia you chose one other country either Vietnam or Thailand. For Cambodia 2 days in Phnom Penh is sufficient and unless you love temples and ruins 4 days in Siem Reap. Maybe 3 days visiting the temples and 1 day visiting a floating village but not Chong Khneas.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 11:42 AM

Anything else you should do right away??? How about a trip to the travel clinic? Are you up to date with any vaccinations etc you may need?
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 12:02 PM

it looks perfect to me with the addition of a flight where suggested above-- you save time
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I've got forms for Visas, appt. at clinic, ordered Rooney book, and enjoyed the pics, Kathie.
Some changes, comments, suggestions, criticisms welcome and appreciated.
New plan- Beijing 6 days, fly to Shanghei and take bus to Suzhou-3days, then (not sure how to get there yet) Huangshan-3 days, fly to Guilin area-5 days, then fly to Siem Reap for 5 days. Fly to Hong Kong for 2 days, then home.