Help on son's wedding in BKK!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little did I know when I looked for info here for a trip to BKK 18 months ago that I'd be going back now for son's wedding to a Thai girl, but that's the story...the wedding (traditional Buddhist; he's planning and paying) will be at the Sukhothai in mid-December, and we are going to host a dinner the night before for out of town guests (probably 25 people, almost entirely American). Celadon is one obvious site, particularly if we stay at the hotel, but I wonder whether anyone here can recommend an "event planner" type person who can help us consider alternatives and make the arrangements at not-too-exorbitant a price. If we don't stay at Sukhothai, we will try to use Marriott points, so Marriott hotels' restaurants are another possibility. Any ideas?

Lisa
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Sorry, I don't know of an event planner, but I'm sure the conceirge of the hotel could find you one.

Since you are a reader of this site, you know that one of our VVPs (very frequent posters) loves the Marriott Resort and Spa, located on teh river. But even he is not enamoured of the restaurants at the Marriotts.

A couple of upscale (but not outrageously expensive) Thai restaurants I like in Bangkok are Lana Thai at Face and MahaNaga.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:19 PM

A traditional Buddhist wedding in Thailand are normally perform at the bride's house and not at a hotel. A reception after the wedding is normally at a hotel so do you have your information mixed up?

Mid December would be perfect for an outdoor evening reception.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Hanuman -- yes you probably are correct that it is only the reception afterwards that is going to be at the Sukhothai (this is all being done on short notice). However, the event I am trying to put together is a dinner the night before the wedding. Any suggested reading matter for a good introduction to modern Thai culture? My visit 18 months ago, while delightful, was short and superficial...
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:52 PM

How about a cocktail/dinner on a rice barge while cruising the Choa Phraya river at night? The Marriott in Bangkok operate a luxury rice barge(Manohra) so try searching for that if you like the idea. For 25 person I would charter the whole barge for exclusive use and pick you own menu.

Don't know of any books about modern Thai culture for foreigners(I'm a Thai) but the other poster here will probably know. If you have any questions about modern Thai culture or a Thai wedding I will be more than happy try and give you an anwer.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:53 PM

I would also ask the Sukothai of a wedding planner. Or why not ask your future daughter-in-law? What a great place to have a dinner...I love that hotel. The Metroploitan Hotel is next door and a great hotel. I've stayed there. Maybe you could stay there. You might get a lower rate than at the Sukothai. Plus, they have very nice split-level suites that in August 2004 were going for about US$350.00. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:00 PM

i think you could rely on the hotel where you stay as one source for planning assistance if you used their facilities....

i have a friend in thailand and i will ask them for you...

as for marriott points, i prefer the marriott resort and spa for a hotel, but also the jw marriott is nice too but not too thai....they are equi-distant from the wedding hotel...

the resort is on the river and provides a lovely place for your friends and guests....

the restaurants there are only so so....the chinese one, rice mill, is the best and probably would put on a wonderful dinner for you....

face restaurant has a banquet room which would be an interesting and unique place to have a dinner....you could have either thai or indian food there....

angenelli in the shangri-la hotel is also very lovely....italian food...

le delat indochine, on soi 23, sukhumvit has a room that might fit 25 for vietnamese food....

basil at the sheraton grande on sukhumvit is excellent thai food...

the metropolitan hotel near the suk. has a wonderful modern reputation...

i will post as soon as my friend gets back to me...
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:10 AM

For a good book on Thai culture, take a look at "Culture Shock-Thailand".
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:00 AM

you could contact cherry avarin who is a guide, by trade, but has lots of experience in the bangkok area with entertaining, etc and knows all the ins and outs of the city and its facilities and has lots of contacts...

[email protected]
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM

You defiantly have to get info from the Thai girl.

I'm wondering if there may be a problem with having a big fancy party mainly without the girls famaly. Thais are extreamly tight nit and weddings and the whole thing are a HUGE deal.

IF the famaly is traditional or from the rural areas things may be trickier then you think

If the famaly are modern bangkokians the events can be more easaly worked out.

hanuman, my man, as usuall, correct me if I'm way off.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Orgy,

My cousin just married a lovely English girl a couple of months ago and about 20 member of her family and friends came over for the ceremony. My cousin, along with his parents, had a similar dinner with his fiancée's family and guests and everybody had a great time.

It all depend on the circumstances and the social background of both side but I'm sure Lisa will include at least the bride to be and her parents in the dinner as well.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Lisa,

My husband, son, and I attended a Danish/Thai wedding reception in January of this year in Bangkok. It was at the Banyan Tree, on the 60th floor, at a restaurant (name escapes me). The entire restaurant was reserved for the evening.

The wedding ceremony itself took place at the home of the Thai bride's parents and was in the presence of family members. I'm sure it was a very beautiful ceremony, done in traditional Thai clothing. The pre-ceremony festivities sounded very interesting and fun! My son played a part in this as the Danish groom is a very dear friend of his.

The reception is a big deal, with everyone dressing in fine clothes and sharing their blessings with the newlywed couple. There was a stage set up, a master of ceremonies, and there were friends of the bride and groom who spoke on behalf of the couple. The bride and groom spoke to each other (very lovely) in front of the crowd. There was a cake, which the newlyweds shared first with their parents after a cutting ceremony. This reception was a nice blend of Thai and Danish traditions.

Enjoy all of this. It's really lovely!

Carol
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 09:57 AM

The arrangements for the wedding mentioned above were handled by Khun Benchar, who is the events coordinator at the Banyon Tree. (It is right next to the Sukhothai.)