Help on 3Day Chiang Mai Itinerary

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on 3Day Chiang Mai Itinerary

Could some help us on which places we should visit for our 3Day trip to Chiang Mai; How about hill tribes, if there are some villages near Chiang Mai? Would you recommend a specific tour operator?
thank you very much for your guidance..
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 07:37 PM

One important decision to make is how you are going to get around. There is a lack of public transport in Chiangmai, so the options are really to rent a car, or to rent a car and driver, or to join day tours. You should get a car for under 1,000 Baht a day and a car and driver for about 1,200.

Three days is really too short for any serious visit to a hill tribe.

I would suggest that you visit Wat Phra Singh in the old city and Wat Suthep. Going on from Wat Suthep it is possible to visit a Meo Village.

You will probably want to spend the best part of a day visiting the various outlets on the Sankhampaeng Road. The shopping is good, but you should also see some manufacturing. It would also be a good opportunity there to have lunch at the Dhara Dhevi, which is a relatively expensive but stunning Thai restaurant.

For elephants, the choice is really between the Government sanctuary near Lampung or one of the elephant camps closer to Chiangmai, either at Mae Rim or out towards Hod. It is possible to combine the Mae Rim camp with a visit to an orchid/butterfly farm and a snake farm. Bungie jumping too, if you are interested. The operators near Hod offer a one hour elephant ride through ?jungle? and also a raft trip.

One evening you should visit the night market and another evening have a Kantoke dinner. There are a number of places offering these, but I would suggest the one at the Old Cultural Centre.

If you have a third evening free, then I suggest dinner at The Gallery, a converted Chinese house on the river. Check out the shops directly opposite.

Good buys in the area of Chiangmai include, wood products, silk, cotton, ceramics and silverware. Candles and Sar paper are also very popular.

Check out http://www.chiangmai-online.com/gmcm...0/news-cm.html and http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/

You don?t mention when you are coming. At the moment it is 28 degrees, but it will go up to about 35 later in the day. We had some brief rain this morning and we may well get another shower later, but it is not really a problem. We now have blue skies and there should be some excellent views from Doi Suthep.

If I can help further e-mail me at [email protected]

Have a great visit.

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much!!! It's really helpful all your tips!
Do you know a driver in Chiang Mai?
Thanks again!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 01:05 AM

The Dhara Dhevi is also, and probably better, known as Le Grand Lanna and is signposted and normally advertised that way.

As for a driver I did know one who operated a Volvo, I am not sure if he is still in business, I will check that out over the weekend.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Mr. Sam Srisawat was my and my parents' driver when I was in Chiang Mai last November. Nice guy, speaks very good English for a Thai.

E-mail: [email protected]

Home phone: 66-53-279903
Fax: 66-53-818435
Mobile: 01-881 6588
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 04:15 PM

We hired a car and driver for a couple of days while in Chiang Mai in November. Go to www.infothai.com/jaiya
Joe handles the website for the B&B. He knows the area very well and speaks excellent English.

For restaurants, try the Mango Cafe. It's casual with great and inexpensive food.

Near the Mae Rim Elephant Camp is a fabulous restaurant in a beautiful setting. The restaurant is in the Grand Lana, I think. They are building a resort there. Great experience -- high end luxury surroundings at an affordable price. This is also near the factory stores.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:56 PM

We were in Chiang Mai in early April and we can HIGHLY recommend Sergeant Kai at Chiang Mai Tours. He, his driver and his assistants were absolutely fantastic. They customized our trip according to our wishes and treated us like royalty. We stayed at beautiful hotels in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, and along with many, many extras, we felt it was very reasonably priced. The e-mail address is [email protected] and the web address is www.chiangmaitours.com

You'll love it there.