Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Help Me Plan A Day In Shanghai (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/help-me-plan-a-day-in-shanghai-390445/)

twofortheroad Jul 7th, 2008 09:59 AM

Help Me Plan A Day In Shanghai

We have a package at the JW Marriott in November that includes a car & driver for 8 hours. We were in Shanghai for 10 days 2 years ago and covered most of the usual & unusual places. Somehow we missed the Jade Bhuda Temple, and that is the one place so far on our list. We also spent 2 days in Suzhou & 1 day in Zhouzhuang. We fell in love with Shanghai, so do want to stay in town.

We're looking for interesting stops not usually covered in guidebooks. Any suggestions?

Neil_Oz Jul 7th, 2008 07:08 PM

Hi, tftr. Did you visit the small museum in the house where the first national CCP congress was held? The former houses of Zhou Enlai and Dr Sun Yatsen? From memory they're all in the French Concession area.

I don't know how I'd organise 8 hours with a car and driver in Shanghai - we found walking, if you're up to it and weather permits, was a great way to see the city. Maybe you could get a map, ask the driver to drop you at a particular point and pick you up a few hours later?

The Marriott looks to be very close to Renmin (People's) Park, so you should be able to walk to the art gallery if you haven't seen it before.

twofortheroad Jul 8th, 2008 07:23 AM

Neil--We've been to both Zhou & Sun Yat Sen's, but I see there is Madame Sun--Soong Quingling residence in Xuhui where she lived after Sun died and also in Xuhui, Xujiahui Cathedral. Anyone been to either of these. Is there anything else of note in this area?

Shanghainese Jul 8th, 2008 11:09 AM

The Temple is a tranquil oasis in the city and not far from your hotel. If you enjoyed your visits to Zhou and Sun's former residences, you should stop at Madame Sun's, her sister Madame Chiang Kai Shek's former residence is currently the Ruijin Guesthouse with gorgeous grounds. Been to the cathedral with my parents when I was a kid but not recently so can't offer any info.

Another place close by that I like is the Tai Kang Road art, food and shopping lanes. It's several blocks of old shikumen houses in small lanes filled with galleries, small eateries, boutiques and gift shops. What is interesting to see is families still living in the houses giving the area a feeling of community instead of the sterile, upscale Xintiandi.

We'll be in Shanghai again in November too.

twofortheroad Jul 9th, 2008 10:35 AM

Shanghainese--We did wander around Tai Kang Rd. last time. We actually walked from there to Zhou's and Sun's residences and ended up at the Ruijin. It was a gorgeous sunny day and we had drinks outside at Face.

I do see another destination also in Xuhui--Longhua Temple. It seems to be the most fun in March for the fair, but how would it be in November?

cwn Jul 9th, 2008 10:56 AM

Hi,
I am taking notes from this timely post. We will be in Shanghai in March 2009. We have been there before and did most of the first time tourist things at that time. I am looking for something else maybe a little more low key.

Can some one tell me where Xuhui is exactly-maybe starting from the JW Marriott? Is the Temple near the JW Marriott, the same one as the Xuhui--Longhua Temple.

Also where is Tai Kang Rd? That sounds interesting too.

Thanks so much.

Shanghainese Jul 9th, 2008 01:42 PM

tftr -- Longhua Temple is small but famous because of age and the small pagoda. I went there last November, not much to see so I went around the block to the Longhua fake products market because my aunt wanted chanel and prada handbags, I bought myself a coach which I'm using now.

Did you like Tai Kang Road? If yes, I'll find out from my DS in Shanghai another newer area north of JW Marriott, it opened 12/07 and is converted from the former largest slaughter plant in Asia. Are you a car racing fan? The F-1 course is very impressive, it's an hour's drive. And I assume you have been to the city planning museum? Oh, if you liked Zhouzhuang, the tiny Qipao (7 Treasures) watertown with no boats but a pagoda is 45 minutes drive and very pretty, their specialty is boiled lamb with seasonings served cold, lugged 20 lbs back for a family feast.

cwn -- The french concession is made up mostly of Xuhui and Luwan districts, and a bit of Jingan and other districts, it's the size of a small US city with 10 times the population. From the JW Marriott, head south, cross Yanan Road and a couple of more blocks and you are there at Huaihai Road. The Jade Buddha Temple is north of JWM. The Longhua Temple is outside the southern border of the french concession.

For tai Kang Road, since I grew up in the french concession and family still lives there, I don't look at streets when I walk so I'd say from the southwest corner of Ruijin Road and Jianguo Road, walk 1/2 block west on Jianguo Road, am I right, tftr?

cwn Jul 9th, 2008 06:10 PM

Shanghainese,

Thanks for much. I added the info to my growing file. Now, I need to dig out the map from the last trip!

twofortheroad Jul 10th, 2008 07:30 AM

Shanghainese--I'm the wrong person to ask for directions--Mr2 is my tour guide, map reader and I just follow along. The slaughter house venue--is this called 1933 and is it on Shajing Rd? I am very interested in details so please ask DS. Directions would be appreciated.

Is the Longhua fake market similar to the old Xiangyang? This might be an interesting detour. Can you describe the merchandise?

Shanghainese Jul 10th, 2008 02:44 PM

Yes, the slaughter house is "1933" on Shajing Road in the Hongkou District, it is northeast of the JWM across the Suzhou Creek (the Jade Buddha Temple is northwest before the Creek). DS attended the grand opening and said the architecture is stunning, she is traveling for business this week so I'll try to get her soon. I have to confirm a recent rumor that it is closed to the public, strange ...

One-third of the old Xiangyang market vendors are at Longhua market housed in a 3 story building, same stuff as the old market. Another larger market is in Pudong next to the metro station under the Science & Tech museum, I'll top my report for you so you can get the details.

twofortheroad Jul 14th, 2008 10:52 AM

Shanghainese--Been away, but I did read your excellent report. We're not that big on shopping, but Mr.2 who can get hives at just the the mention, managed to buy several items at Xiangyang, while I exited emptyhanded, but a browse at Longhua, might be good if we do decide on Longhua Temple. There is a shop that looks interesting, also in Xujiahui, Poesia, 301 Guangyuan Xi Lu near Hongqiao Lu. How far is this from Longhua?

We didn't go to the Science Museum last time but did manage an orchestral concert at the new Oriental Pearl Theater, so I don't think we'll go back to that area just for knockoffs.

I had read also that 1933 was being used only for design exhibitions, but that restaurants, shops, & car showrooms were planned. So I would definitely be interested in going if it is open. The pictures I've seen were fantastic. We both are extremely interested in modern design.

Shanghainese Jul 15th, 2008 03:44 PM

tftr -- Is Poesia the boutique that has clothing in Barney's? I couldn't find the road on my map, I don't think it's too far from Longhua since it's in the same district. E-mail the address on their website for further directions.

Yes, definitely go to 1933, the vast old slaughter house has been converted into huge ultra modern lofts filled with offices, a theatre, galleries, boutiques, cafes, bars, etc., it is open to the public, your hotel can get the hours for you. DS said don't forget to check the restrooms. She take us there in Nov whn we visit Shanghai, she feels "1933 is super COOL while Taikang Road is extremely charming".

twofortheroad Jul 17th, 2008 09:14 AM

Shanghainese--I don't know about Barney's but Neimans carry Poesia--girls dresses-pre-teens size 6 to 12. The're fairly pricey for this age group--$100 to $200. The blurb I read said at the store, they also had womens dresses, so, it may be worth a look. I'm more interested in Chinese designers. That's my one complaint with Tai Kang road stores. Most are original local designs, but the designers seem to be Danish, German, French, or English. Younik at 18 on the Bund is also on my list-all Shanghai designers.

1933 is now definitely on the list. From Xuhui, we could go to Jade Budhha and then continue east to 1933, maybe finding something in between or in Honkou. How does that sound? Also is Xuhai pronounced shoe way?

Shanghainese Jul 17th, 2008 11:31 AM

Either 1933 first then the Jade Budhha Temple or vis versa, in between in Hongkou district the only other place I can think of is the old Jewish area with a small synagogue if you are interested.

Then you can head to the french concession and have a more leisurely afternoon. Xuhui is pronounced "shi-yu h-way".