Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help me make 2 Days in KL,, Malaysia Interesting

Aug 19th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

We will be coming to KL for 3 nights and 2 1/2 days. What 2 hotels would you recommend and why? Also, what about a knowlegeable guide/driver or tour company that takes 6-8 max passengers on a 6-7 hour tour of the city and suburbs (maybe out 30 miles)?
Also, we want 1 or 2 destinations we can accomplish in a 10 hour day that might have a cultural glimpses different than our 14 days in Thailand. Any help on that score? Thanks.
Aug 19th, 2004, 10:10 AM

I'd recomend the Shangri La in KL - a superb 5* hotel that you can get a bargain rates.

You should have no problem booking the city tour and then the afternoon tour which takes you out to the Batu caves and to the Pewtar factory etc. The hotel concierge will be able to arrange this for you.

Also consider a day trip to Malacca again easy to arrange via the concierge.

When ever we have booked these trips there has never been more than half a dozen people on them, so if you request a private tour for 6-8 people I don't think you'll have a problem.
Aug 19th, 2004, 09:19 PM

Just a word of warning about taking the standard organised tour to the Batu caves. We did it in April and there were about 30 people on it. We spent about 2 hours looking around various factories and only about half an hour at the caves themselves, so make sure you ask your concierge to recommend a private minibus and driver who will take you where you want to go, not to the places the tour company gets a kick back from!

As far as the city itself is concerned, we found a good way of seeing it was just getting on the monorail and hopping on and off wherever we fancied. Traffic in the city centre is horrendous and getting anywhere by road takes ages and wastes a lot of time.

We stayed at the Sheraton, which was excellent, with fabulous views of the Towers and right next to a monorail station.
Aug 20th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Walter: At the Shangri La what rate did you get? Was it "Superior" or "Deluxe". We usually specify a high floor to be away from city noice.
Is the monorail well Air-Conditioned and can you get to your destinations-art galleries,high-end leather jackets,etc with only a block or two walk from the rail stops?
We live in NY and have visited many cities so impressive high raise buildings are not our thing. Where should we go in the city in a 5-6 hour self-tour?

What about dining around the Shangri La for 3 nights. Local cuisine in classy-not necessarily gourmet- environment where the check would be $40-$50.

I ask other travelers for suggested dining within a 10 minute taxi ride of the Shangri La. Thanks.
Aug 21st, 2004, 07:32 AM

You should be easily able to get a room at the Shangri La for $100-$120 a night. (Go to Shangri La.com and jin their Loyalty club and you'll automatically get upgraded to a higher floor and get 2 free continental breakfasts every day you stay). Consider asking about upgrades on check in - these are rarely free but for a few dollars more you can end up with some fantastic suites / club rooms.

KL is v v cheap. You'll have no trouble eating in the hotel for $40-$50 for two in the hotel. Ask the concierge for even cheaper suggestions - Chinatown has loads of v cheap restaurants. If you fancy going gourmet the best restaurant in town is in teh Shangri La, it's called Lafite and they do a 9 course menu degustation for about $50.

I was last in KL in April 2003 - the monorail wasn't operational by the Shangri La at this time, so I can't tell you about the air-con, I would have thought it was though.

The standard city tours are not sky scraper tours. They take you around the more traditional parts of the city.

You can make your own arrangements to go up the petronas towers (well up to the glass bridge anyway about 1/2 way up) - A big disappointment.
Aug 21st, 2004, 10:42 AM

chinatown at night is chaotic, noisy and colorful.