Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

help! Khao San Rd area hotels for one night

May 17th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Help! I'm changing my mind on my BKK stay.
I'm flying through on my way to Australia in November. Arrive at BKK airport 16:00 on a Sunday and leave 17:00 the NEXT day!
Decided against the airport hotel, but I know I can't do too much in the time I have.
I want to check out a night market, grab a good vegetarian meal- and check out Wat Pho.
Willing to spend up to $100 USD per night, but Sukhumvit seems too remote- I won't have time to be taking taxis all round, and shopping is not high on my priorities list.
I thought if I stayed up somewhere *near* Th Khao San, I could walk to Wat pho and maybe the Amulet Market.
I need a place that is safe- I'm a female travelling solo, preferably an ensuite, and some place that will watch my bag if I head out for a bit in the morning before going back to the airport.
thank you.
May 17th, 2006, 05:59 AM

Hi - there is really no need to stress out over this. Banglamphu (Khao San) is a good area to stay - much better than Sukhumvit. You could just pitch up and find somewhere if you have been there before, or are the adventurous typs.
And a budget of us100 is way over the top.

It is a good area to do what you want to do. And there is an airport bus that will take you there.

You are thinking so far in advance that the online booking people will probably tell you to go away. I would recommend the New Siam, which you can find on hostelworld.com

Happy travels - and huge congrats on not going for luxe
May 17th, 2006, 06:06 AM

it's hard to find a 100$ hotel in Khaosan area...

The "best" hotels in this area are the "Viengtai Hotel" (Soi Rambutree) and the "Royal Hotel" (Rachdamnon Road)

I would not recommand any of them...

Since you want to visit Wat Poh only in the morning, you should consider taking a hotel in the Center (Ploenchit area, for the "Suan Loom night bazar"...the 20 Min drive to Wat Poh should be a problem...
May 17th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Viengtai on Rambutri, Buddy is most expensive on Khaosan, D&D Inn is cheaper and crowded.
May 19th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

FYI: I emailed the New Siam and they have told me that the New SUPER Siam and the Siam RIVERSIDE (both in the same area as the Siam I & II)will be opening "around August".
I'm thinking I'll try one of these, assuming the prices are comparable- don't see why they wouldn't be.
May 19th, 2006, 03:38 PM

You could try the Old Bangkok Inn, just near Khao San Road. It's a small inn, quite cozy and friendly.
May 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Ditto-triple-quadruple on the Old Bangkok Inn (see www.oldbangkokinn.com). With your budget, you might as well treat yourself to best of all worlds. And don't forget to ride the river boats. . . maybe even to Chinatown, which isn't that far downstream.