Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Help! - Japan, Singapore, Bali, Malaysia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/help-japan-singapore-bali-malaysia-699833/)

bombasticlife Apr 25th, 2007 12:48 AM

Help! - Japan, Singapore, Bali, Malaysia

We are planning a trip to Asia and need some input.

Date/time: June 27 - July 19. Leaving from on Qatar Airlines to:
Osaka, Japan 3-4 day
Tokyo - 3 days
Sinapore - 3-4 days
Bali - 3-4 days
then to maybe Malaysia or Philippines or open to suggestions, we have about 6 or 7 days left.

Questions:

How much time do we need in Osaka, to see the city and the surrounding areas?

How much time do we need for Tokoyo and Singapore?

Is the Philippines safe? I know the US has a travel warning right now.

If we decide on Malaysia, how much time do we need?

A little background about us. I write 5 star and luxury travel reviews for http://www.bombasticlife.com so I want to see great hotels and great restaurant as well as try various airlines (we plan on using Qatar, Singapore and Malaysia airlines).

We love the big cities (in small doses), the country side, small villages, seeing how the locals live, etc., as well as luxury resorts on the water.

Any tips on timing, sites to see, hotels/restaurants or anything else you can provide would be helpful

Thanks!

bombasticlife Apr 25th, 2007 12:52 AM

A few things I forgot - will it be too hot or rainy for any of the places I mentioned?

Should we spend any more time in Indonesia? What about Sri Lanka or Vietnam in July?

KimJapan Apr 25th, 2007 01:03 AM

I think you have too much time in transit and not nearly enough in any one place.

Osaka isn't a highlight of Japan, but nearby Kyoto certainly is. With a week, you could see some of Kyoto and Tokyo. Singapore maybe about right. I wouldn't even bother with Bali for only 3 or 4 days...there is much to see and do in Bali, and in 3 days you won't be able to see much at all.

Your 6 - 7 days add to your destinations now, or completely to Bali.

bombasticlife Apr 25th, 2007 01:40 AM

yes, I know there is a lot of transit time but that is part of my goal as well. The only way I can report on the airlines is by sitting on them so I'm not to concerned with the transit times.

Regarding, Osaka, I read there are towns/villages around it that are worth seeing, any idea?

Thanks for the info.

KimJapan Apr 25th, 2007 02:11 AM

Japanese cities are large and sprawling, and Osaka is no exception. It actually merges with Kyoto without any real visible division in terms of landscape or building density. Villages are an hour or more outside of the city, The area around Lake Biwa is a nice place. Koya-san is lovely. I still recommend basing yourself in Kyoto unless you are reporting on the Osaka Ritz Carlton.

If you don't mind transit time and are ok with spending a lot on flights for little time in destinations, then why not spend 3 days each in Kyoto, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Siem Reap, Singapore and 6 days in Bali (divided in two hotels, one of which is in Ubud or surrounding villages). Plenty of flights and 7 hotels.

bombasticlife Apr 25th, 2007 03:03 AM

Well, based on your suggestion of more time in Bali we are rethinking our plan and my save Bali for Dec/Jan when we go to Australia and instead do a week or so in Malaysia.

We are not stuck on Osaka by any means, so maybe we will do Kyoto instead.

Thanks again!

marmot Apr 25th, 2007 03:05 AM

On Indonesia: Other than those on Bali, the only other luxury hotels are the Amanjiwo in Central Java, Amanwana on Moyo Island and the Oberoi on Lombok. These are all worth a visit.

On Bali there are many properties that would qualify as 5 star and luxury -- two Four Seasons, three Amans plus Como Shambala, the Bulgari and the Legian. There are others, but these are, in my opinion, the best.

You could easily fill up a week and then some!

It's always hot, but though you'll get some rain (it's the tropics afterall) June-July is the drier season.

bombasticlife Apr 27th, 2007 10:56 PM

We have changed our plans a bit. Please let me know if I'm allocating our time wisely.

Hong Kong 4 days (first day will be a jet lagged recovery day)
Sabah - 4 days
Kuala Lumpur - 2 days
Singaore - 2 days
Jakarta - 3 days
Bali - 4 days

The days listed are actual full days at that location, not travel days.

Recommendations?

marmot Apr 28th, 2007 02:09 AM

andrew, Give Jakarta a miss. Add a day or two in Yogya.