Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Best hotel in Phuket or Krabi for beach snorkeling?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2010, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I love snorkeling, especially off the beach (rather than being on a boat and on someone else's schedule). Any advice for the best hotel to stay in Phuket or Krabi for shore snorkeling?

I've read that Kata beach and Paradise beach have good shore snorkeling.

We also plan to take some day trips to the neighboring islands for snorkeling.

Thanks very much!
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 04:42 PM

I don't believe that there are hotels in Phuket or Krabi where there's good proper snorkeling activities right off the beach. You will have to take a boat ride to see good corals but some friends have told me that the coral bleaching around the Andaman sea is quite advance.

For Kata and Paradise beach I believe the snorkeling is quite far from shore, over 100 meters from shore, and the corals are not as good as those found on nearby islands.

There are resorts on islands with snorkeling right off the beach but most are on the gulf of Thailand side.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 05:34 PM

Phuket really isn't good for snorkeling. In addition to the factors Hanuman noted, there's also a problem with rip tides. About one tourist a month goes missing off Karon and Kata. I have heard some good things about Koh Racha Yai, off the south coast of Phuket, and I think you'll find some reviews of it here.

Krabi (Ao Nang / Railay) really isn't much better. There isn't that much coral in Phang Nga Bay because it's so protected. Even Lanta doesn't have much that's close to shore.