Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   help clarifying itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/help-clarifying-itinerary-1479114/)

lauramsgarden Oct 4th, 2017 04:48 AM

help clarifying itinerary

You have all been so helpful so far, and I think things are falling into place - a few last questions. We arrive at midnight in Bangkok and then have 9 nights before the reservation we made in Koh Lanta. I'm trying to decide between 3 different options:
1. 4 nights Bangkok including a day trip to Ayutthaya ,
2 nights Chaing Rai - maybe including day trip to Hall of Opium though it looks like that would be a whole day
3. hire driver to drive us to Chaing Mai, stopping at caves in Chang Dao on the way, 3 nights Chaing Mai,

2. 4 nights Bangkok and then 5 nights Chaing Mai including day trip to Doi Inthanon park and possibly cooking class

or

3. add a night to Bangkok and then do 4 nights in Chain Mai

which would you do if you were us (main interests are history and natural beauty)

trying to avoid too many hotel changes. Thanks

crellston Oct 4th, 2017 10:11 AM

I would probably opt for #1. If you can spend a Saturday night in C.R. the walking Market their is much better and far less crowded than this in CM. The White Temple and Black house are must sees. WT is walkable but the Black House needs a taxi.

Visiting Chiang Dao will add 1.5 hours onto the 3 hour trip from C.R. to CM. The caves and temples there are nice but not spectacular. Nice scenery in the area if you get a clear day.

In CM there is enough to keep most people busy within the walls of the old city, Wats galore and some terrific restaurants. Doi Inthanon is maybe a couple of hours drive, again some great views, one or two waterfalls - probably a half day in total.

We love cooking and really enjoyed our few days at Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School learning from Chef Sompon - still use the Cookery books he provided to this day!

Is there any way you would be happy renting a self drive car? If so, that would make life a lot easier and you would probably be able to pack more in to the time you have.

A day trip from Bangkok to Ayutthaya can be great fun. Either get the train from Huamlampong station and rent bikes or a horse and cart when you get there to tour the temples or, get a package trip. Boat to Bang Pa In, te summer palace and then on to Ayutthaya by minibus or car and return to Bangkok by same.

lauramsgarden Oct 4th, 2017 05:33 PM

Thanks Crellston, that is helpful. After some initial anxiety we have driven in several countries in Europe (we're US folk) and for the most part it went smoothly. I don't really have time this trip to learn much Thai, plus expect the learning curve will be steep and it makes me really nervous driving in countries if I don't have at least a bit of the language in case we get lost or in trouble. I just find when we plan on driving it adds a significant amount of anticipatory anxiety. We may wait and see what it looks like once we are on the ground, and then I suppose we could rent a car for part of things. As always there is so much more to entice than we have time for, but really appreciate the guidance

Kathie Oct 4th, 2017 06:14 PM

Th price for getting a car and driver is about the same as renting a self-drive car.

lauramsgarden Oct 5th, 2017 05:23 AM

Kathie, I think I'm remembering that you had recommended a guide in CR (a retired army officer?) but I can't find the post...If anyone has that name that would be great

crellston Oct 5th, 2017 08:28 AM

Seargeant Kai?

Kathie Oct 5th, 2017 10:25 AM

Yes, google him.