Help!! ATM's in Bangkok

Search

Help!! ATM's in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! ATM's in Bangkok

My husband and I are visiting Thailand in February of 2009. Is it easy to use ATM's in Bangkok? Are there any cards that are better to use than others? How much money should you carry on you (in Thai currency) most of the time?

We are arriving at 12:30 am at the airport. Would we be better off to stay at a hotel at the airport the first night or should be taxi to our hotel (Centre Point Salom)? How long a ride is it from the airport to the Centre Point at that time of the night?

Also has anybody seen the show Calypso Cabaret at the Asia Hotel? Is it worth seeing?

Thanks

Kapstreak
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM

kapstreak
I use both 'savings account' cards and 'Visa' cards to great effect in most countries I've visited (with the exception of Mongolia!).

If you wish to use a card linked to your savings/checking account then check for the Cirrus/Maestro emblem. If your card has these then you should be fine at any number of ATMs in Thailand.

If you use a Visa card then you will also be fine. Not sure about Mastercard or American Express.

My advice would be to catch a taxi to your hotel from the airport. Yes, it is a bit of a long taxi ride (+30 minutes) but at least then you can settle in properly without having to move again.

I haven't seen the Calypso Cabaret but I always intended to when we were living in Thailand. It does come recommended.

If you're in Bangkok on a Friday night and are looking for something a little different (than Calypso anyway!) and a little romantic you may like to try Patravadi Theatre for dinner (http://www.patravaditheatre.com/). The experience is hard to describe - it's dinner and a show but it's really intimate, with performers who do sort of avante garde performances based on Thai historical cultural 'stuff'. Book and ask to reserve the table on the balcony overlooking the Chao Praya and, at the very least, you'll have good food. You can catch the ferry there, but you'll need to catch a taxi back. The staff are happy to help you find a taxi.

I sure do miss Thailand, Bangkok especially. Have a great time.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 04:17 PM

If you can use an ATM in your own country, you can use one in Thailand. Your ATM card has symbols on the back indicating which networks it is a part of, Plus, Cirrus, etc. Just match the symbols on your card to the symbols on the ATM. I carry enough currency to pay for taxis, meals, small purchases for my whole stay, typically. I normally take money from an ATM just once or twice while I'm in Bangkok. Make sure you know what your bank charges for ATM use, both per use and as a premium on foreign exchange. There is an ATM inside the baggage claim area at the airport.

It will take 30-35 minutes to get to the Centre Pointe Silom at that hour. No need to stay at the airport hotel.

Have you done a search here on Calypso Cabaret? BillT always recommends it and others on the board have seen it and enjoyed it.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM

If you like, kapstreak, I'll dress up as a pineapple and come do a private show for the two of you. Who needs Calypso Cabaret when you can have dogster in drag?
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:46 PM

30 MINUTES OR less for the taxi ride...its easy....don't stay at the airport...

taxi for 2 people with medium size suitcases, limo (large sedan) for bigger suitcases or more people...AOT at the airport offers limos....cost about 1000B....taxi about 350B, plus you pay the tolls of about 65 B...

you need cash for this and small bills for the tolls...driver will not have change....but toll may..

for your first arrival in bkk i strongly suggest the limo route...taxis can be difficult and sometimes do not know where they are going and at that time of nite....

the next day you will be glad you went into town...the difference in the airport hotel price and the CP will make up for the limo...

ATM are everywhere....they are in english...you choose the language at the beginning of the transaction...

i usually withdraw about $300 each time.....remember your bank at home may charge you a fee for each withdrawal.....also notify them that you will be visiting thailand and any other countries....and also notify all credit card companies....this will prevent the fraud dept. from shutting you down..
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 07:43 PM

I arrive pretty often on NWA around midnight. There are bank money changers open at the airport at that time. One near the baggage carousel and a couple more out in the arrivals hall. They will take cash and travelers checks. Rates are set daily.

There are ATMs too. I have heard that they will only take 4 digit pin numbers, I have never had a problem in Thiland or even other countries like the Philippines and Hong Kong. My debit cards have MasterCard and Visa affiliations.

You do have to notify your bank or credit union that you wil be using their card overseas. If you don't tell your bank your card may be denied because of suspected fraud. Some cards have big fees attached. I use a debit card most often from my credit union. They pay the first 5 ATM withdrawal fees for me, even overseas. I opened that account up specifically for my travels. When you make a withdrawal take out the maximum you can to cut down on fees. There will be a chance to change your Thai money over to your home currency when you leave for home at the airport. Get small bills for paying the taxi driver unless you don't want any change back.

Head right into town and get it over with. The ride by meter taxi from Suvarnabhumi is only around 330 to 390 baht (meter taxi desk) including tolls and surcharge. Hotels are cheaper in Bangkok. There are still some places still open up to 3 a.m.

Good luck.